Top Shelf Aquatics

LED powered Macro Jungle!

¯\(°_o)/¯

First post, YAY!

So, after lurking for a while I've decided it's time to post my tank :P [applause]

It was originally started in January of '09 mainly as an experiment to see if I could keep anything saltwater alive, long story short it evolved into a macro garden powered by the nova extreme 2x24 watt T5 HO system, which was replaced by two PAR 38 LED lamps on christmas (I got bit by the coral bug)

Equipment:

10g AGA

Koralia nano

2 PAR 38 bulbs

Livestock:

~10 lbs live rock & rock rubble

10 lbs live sand

2 Sexy Shrimp

1 striped rock flower anemone

red mushroom coral

pulsing xenia

green palythoas (sp?)

2 florida ricordea

green frogspawn

open brain coral

acropora sp.

blue snow flake polyps

CUC:

2 nerite snails

2 astrea snails

Hermits (about 3-5, I need to count them again)

1 stomatellia snail (sp?)

5 florida cerith snails

And now for some pics!

(note: this tank is not nearly as blue as the pictures make it seam, but the color of the corals is pretty much true to life)

FTS, with the ghetto lighting fixture

2z80ylj.jpg

Close up of the lights

auw1mt.jpg

From the front (It's a peninsula style tank BTW)

2mr741j.jpg

Left side, and I just realized I forgot to clean off the sides of the tank after adding some new additions

35mll43.jpg

Right side, taken with flash to make it seem less blue

8vvq6x.jpg

Top down

nbq6at.jpg

Top down with flash

syr1mo.jpg

Frogspawn

1zg6w5h.jpg

Brain coral, new addition, the sexy shrimp made their way to it less than a minute after I added it!

212baj5.jpg

(Dirty glass is dirty ^)

Brain coral from above

kf1c9w.jpg

Blue snowflake polyps

b7xvlj.jpg

ORA blue Iris acropora frag

ehj9zl.jpg

Same frag from above

9le9g7.jpg

Newly added Maxima clam :wub:

2ecjl9y.jpg

Is that white stringy thing the byssal threads? Should I remove them or leave them there?

2lnwjgm.jpg

I'm trying to get it to attach to a small piece of LR rubble, but it keeps falling off :angry:

2nsx2s6.jpg

P!ssed off flower anemone, it shrank like this ever since I added the new light's. I'm assuming it's photo inhibition so should I move it to shade or will it do that itself?

72f8uh.jpg

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you!

My clam attached itself to the piece of rubble, so now I have to decide where to put it...

And I took some macro shots of my sexy shrimp today!

16aa42c.jpg

2cen19g.jpg

This dude has a par38 leds. Is there any way for it whiter shine, or does he just have the lights on a certain settin to make it look so blue? (0_o)

Get the 12k.

This dude has a par38 leds. Is there any way for it whiter shine, or does he just have the lights on a certain settin to make it look so blue? (0_o)

It's the camera going crazy on me, in real life the lights give off a much more whiter color with more of a hint of blue. Also, they're the 20k version so the other version is whiter I assume :/

Thanks for the replies c:

Guest TheBlueLorax
First post, YAY!

So, after lurking for a while I've decided it's time to post my tank :P [applause]

It was originally started in January of '09 mainly as an experiment to see if I could keep anything saltwater alive, long story short it evolved into a macro garden powered by the nova extreme 2x24 watt T5 HO system, which was replaced by two PAR 38 LED lamps on christmas (I got bit by the coral bug)

Equipment:

10g AGA

Koralia nano

2 PAR 38 bulbs

Livestock:

~10 lbs live rock & rock rubble

10 lbs live sand

2 Sexy Shrimp

1 striped rock flower anemone

red mushroom coral

pulsing xenia

green palythoas (sp?)

2 florida ricordea

green frogspawn

open brain coral

acropora sp.

blue snow flake polyps

CUC:

2 nerite snails

2 astrea snails

Hermits (about 3-5, I need to count them again)

1 stomatellia snail (sp?)

5 florida cerith snails

And now for some pics!

(note: this tank is not nearly as blue as the pictures make it seam, but the color of the corals is pretty much true to life)

FTS, with the ghetto lighting fixture

2z80ylj.jpg

Close up of the lights

auw1mt.jpg

From the front (It's a peninsula style tank BTW)

2mr741j.jpg

Left side, and I just realized I forgot to clean off the sides of the tank after adding some new additions

35mll43.jpg

Right side, taken with flash to make it seem less blue

8vvq6x.jpg

Top down

nbq6at.jpg

Top down with flash

syr1mo.jpg

Frogspawn

1zg6w5h.jpg

Brain coral, new addition, the sexy shrimp made their way to it less than a minute after I added it!

212baj5.jpg

(Dirty glass is dirty ^)

Brain coral from above

kf1c9w.jpg

Blue snowflake polyps

b7xvlj.jpg

ORA blue Iris acropora frag

ehj9zl.jpg

Same frag from above

9le9g7.jpg

Newly added Maxima clam :wub:

2ecjl9y.jpg

Is that white stringy thing the byssal threads? Should I remove them or leave them there?

2lnwjgm.jpg

I'm trying to get it to attach to a small piece of LR rubble, but it keeps falling off :angry:

2nsx2s6.jpg

P!ssed off flower anemone, it shrank like this ever since I added the new light's. I'm assuming it's photo inhibition so should I move it to shade or will it do that itself?

72f8uh.jpg

Comments? Suggestions?

R U using a 2000k light to get that blue effect then?

¯\(°_o)/¯
R U using a 2000k light to get that blue effect then?

Both lights I'm using are 20K, but the pictures make the tank a lot more blue than it rally is.

This picture is the most color-wise:

syr1mo.jpg

Hope that helps :happy:

Guest TheBlueLorax
Both lights I'm using are 20K, but the pictures make the tank a lot more blue than it rally is.

This picture is the most color-wise:

syr1mo.jpg

Hope that helps :happy:

Thnks :D that does help, one more little question :rolleyes: , whn u got tha lights did u hav to make your own fixture or did they give you some to hold the lights?

¯\(°_o)/¯
Thnks :D that does help, one more little question :rolleyes: , whn u got tha lights did u hav to make your own fixture or did they give you some to hold the lights?

They screw in to just about any light socket, so I used a bendable arm lamp I had laying around (I'm looking to replace it with something sleeker though ;) )

Archived