Cultivated Reef

Anemone update Plus AIO autotop off *Update* pics

northstar1357

I think it's stunning and an awesome hitch hiker no matter what it is ';-) Imagine a whole tank full of those.

Cool find :D

Please keep the pics coming and keep us updated.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definatley looks to me like a RBTA. Cool find indeed. Also do you have more than one clownfish? The twiching the clownfish do is kind of a little dance of submission. My male clown dowes this quite frequently to the female. Those are ocellaris clowns. My yellow striped does not do this behaviour and is housed alone.

Hope this helps and I'd keep the little nem around for a few months.

Alex

Please don't start selling this pest. We banned certain caluerpa in California because it was a pest. No need to start selling this and spreading a new type of majano. Keep it for yourself or throw it away.

Come on, at least do some research an know what you're talking about before you say something like that. Not cool. Think about it... :mellow:

Besides, if it looks good, and has the potential to make money, I and most of the other people around here wouldn't hesitate to sell it. Regardless of whether or not we know what it is.

And yeah, I think it may be a RBTA but in any case, it looks awesome and is exactly the perfect size for a nano or even, dare I say, PICO tank (until it gets bigger of course).

If I saw that at my LFS and they told me it was a majano, I would certainly buy it anyways.

theanimalslaugh

That is totally a mojano. I have like 20 of them in that color, they also can be neon pink with blue tips, green, or brown. They often have bubbled tips like a bta, but I am willing to bet anything, that is a mojano. If you like it, hey that's cool, but its nothing special. Oh, btw, if anyone wants one, I will sell one for $50 plus shipping! (You know, since its such a rare and spectacular specimin.)

That is totally a mojano. I have like 20 of them in that color, they also can be neon pink with blue tips, green, or brown. They often have bubbled tips like a bta, but I am willing to bet anything, that is a mojano. If you like it, hey that's cool, but its nothing special. Oh, btw, if anyone wants one, I will sell one for $50 plus shipping! (You know, since its such a rare and spectacular specimin.)

:P

Come on seriously? It's a RBTA and we know it. Majanos don't get that pink color or that clear look to the foot. They just never look like that.

Anyone else care to confirm?... Again...

That's an RBTA for sure, nice find!

Nick1912, is your first tank the 19 day old one or have you had others? My guess is that it's your first one, and maybe you should refrain from cracking eggs of wisdom on us until you know what you're talking about :)

Since when is giving my opinon have to be wise? If it turns out to be a damn majano then I sure dont want someone slipping that into a frag because we started buying these and loving the colors. If it really is a damn RBTA then GOOD for YOU!.

Feel good cracking jokes? Thanks for your humble opinon ;)

Come on, at least do some research an know what you're talking about before you say something like that. Not cool. Think about it... :mellow:

Besides, if it looks good, and has the potential to make money, I and most of the other people around here wouldn't hesitate to sell it. Regardless of whether or not we know what it is.

And yeah, I think it may be a RBTA but in any case, it looks awesome and is exactly the perfect size for a nano or even, dare I say, PICO tank (until it gets bigger of course).

If I saw that at my LFS and they told me it was a majano, I would certainly buy it anyways.

You want me to research ? If its a damn Majano its a pest, if its an RBTA then GOOD for YOU.

You asked what it was, so you are not sure and neither is everyone here. Good luck

theanimalslaugh

Just because you've never seen one that color doesn't mean they don't exist. Oh but I forgot, you know everything. Speaking from over 15 years of reef keeping, I can assure you, that is a mOjano. I am all for cheering on sweet, rare, or free specimins, but don't do it because you don't want to be the bearer of bad news.

northstar1357

The other day, if someone saw on the photo on the main page, someone posted a picture of a baby RBTA and he assured me that what i have is a RBTA. he said his look exactly look mine and after 2 months of feeding, it grew big and he show me his picture. and its a RBTA. :D

theanimalslaugh

Okay, well after you feed it for 6 months and its still the same size, and has multiplied and taken your tank over, just don't say you didn't know any better. Rbta's don't 'bud' like an acan or blasto or fungia, they asexually split (in captivity anyway), and incase you've never seen a full size rbta, they don't split into dime sized clones. Now before you assume that it came in on some live rock, think about the chain of custody of the live rock imported here. By the time it is in your tank, it has been cured several times, and the only anemones that would survive that are those that can withstand terrible water conditions, prolonged exposure to air, and wild fluctuations in temperature. Liverock does not receive the same care that fish and corals receive during collection and shipment. The odds that a) an rbta would survive the collection and shipment process and B) your lfs's tanks without dying or being noticed are pretty much a million to one. But like a said before, if you like it, then who cares. I am just calling a spade a spade.

northstar1357
Okay, well after you feed it for 6 months and its still the same size, and has multiplied and taken your tank over, just don't say you didn't know any better. Rbta's don't 'bud' like an acan or blasto or fungia, they asexually split (in captivity anyway), and incase you've never seen a full size rbta, they don't split into dime sized clones. Now before you assume that it came in on some live rock, think about the chain of custody of the live rock imported here. By the time it is in your tank, it has been cured several times, and the only anemones that would survive that are those that can withstand terrible water conditions, prolonged exposure to air, and wild fluctuations in temperature. Liverock does not receive the same care that fish and corals receive during collection and shipment. The odds that a) an rbta would survive the collection and shipment process and B) your lfs's tanks without dying or being noticed are pretty much a million to one. But like a said before, if you like it, then who cares. I am just calling a spade a spade.

I like what your who cares what other think, but i just want to inform others and myself about this ting looking RBTA. anyways. if u have read my first post, i got this anemone on a zoa frag from my LFS's frag tank. they have at least 5 to 10 RBTA in this tank. I am not saying that it is but i would like to think that it is a RBTA because his frag tank is populated by RBTA. anyways i'll keep everyone updated about this tiny invert.

Wish me luck. I'll post another picture in a month. and i hope by them it would double its size like it did before. :D

P.S.

I dont mine this thing cloning itself all over my tank. Looks better than some of my zoas and my clownfish will enjoy hosting them ;)

Lots of incorrect information here. BTA's do indeed split in other ways besides a split in the central disc. They also perform "pedal laceration" which will yield a much smaller individual than the parent. Also, there are varieties or seperate species of BTA's that are much smaller than norm. I've got a pretty green one that has split 5 times in the past 4 years (hardly taking over a tank), each time when it was stressed from relocation and it's still no bigger than a quarter.

All that said, I'd be cautious about any unknown anemone or particularly one that could be a majano. They are extremely hard to get rid of and will kill corals. I'm battling a scourge of them right now in a 150 and it looks like I may have to dismantle the whole tank to get rid of them. They are horrible and extremely tough.

What yardboy said. Also, RBTA's have sexually reproduced in captivity. In a tank with 5 to 10 (as stated by OP) the sexual reproduction possibility is pretty high. Assuming they are not all clones, of course.

Feel good cracking jokes?

That's pretty much all I do, so yes, yes it does feel good :happy:

Speaking from over 15 years of reef keeping, I can assure you, that is a mOjano.

Wanna bet? Loser shaves his head and writes the date and his nano-reef username on top in permanent marker then posts it up in the lounge? Put those 15 years of reef keeping on the line and go for the gusto B)

If it were in my tank, weather it was a mAjano or RBTA, I would be happy. Is it still a pest if it is wanted? Hmmmmm.

That's a really good point. If purple hornets grew like crazy, would that make them a pest?

That's a really good point. If purple hornets grew like crazy, would that make them a pest?

Yes. Xenia or Green star polyps are borderline pest to lots. I think the nem has a +1 on them with the stinging tho. Still, the point stands.

northstar1357

before i bought this invert, i saw it at my LFS tank attached to Zoas and Zoas were not cclosed because the anemone was attached to it. does this mean anything?

P.S.

I dont mine this thing cloning itself all over my tank. Looks better than some of my zoas and my clownfish will enjoy hosting them ;)

If this were to be a majano, are they even a host anemone?

Last i looked i never saw a species of clownfish residing in a majano (not saying its never happened, just never heard of it)

before i bought this invert, i saw it at my LFS tank attached to Zoas and Zoas were not cclosed because the anemone was attached to it. does this mean anything?

My rbta touches some zoanthids, and they dont close, and my gbta touches some palys, and they dont close. Well sometimes they do but they are still alive for sure. Thats not a confirmation that its a BTA, just throwing it out there.

It does look like an RBTA though.

Archived