Top Shelf Aquatics

? on starting a nano reef

jb-ny

I have decided to set up a nano reef.

I read the articles from Christopher Marks and liked the concept of natural filtration method and no dosing.

Before I decide on the size of the tank I wanted to pick out my lighting first.

In my freshwater planted tank the higher the light the more dosing needs to be done.

Is this the case for reef set ups? If so what is the WPG threshold before dosing is required. I would imagine there are many factors involved but is there a ballpark number I would want to be in for a non dosing set up?

thanks,

jb-ny

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

A non-dosing setup has more to do with types of coral (SPS) than lighting. A good T5 light fixture with soft coral and LPS shouldn't require much, if any, dosing (depending on your salt mix and water change schedule.

I've never really heard of anyone putting a direct relationship between amount of light and dosing requirements in a SW reef tank. I'd look at T5 lights as they'll cover the majority of the spectrum of light that you'd want to keep most corals in, yet are low cost and don't have the associated problems of heat that metal halide can have.

Also - WPG is a total farse. Many years ago we all talked in those terms, but it's really more dependent on the depth of the tank. A tank can have 100 gallons but be 3 inches deep or be 100 gallons and 30 feet deep, both with different light requirements as a result. :P

Thanks for the info.

Would you think that in a 13" deep tank (15 gallon long tank) it would be better to get a 65 watt pc or or T5-VHO.

Aussie Acans are the corals I want to have.

the general concensus around these parts is that PC are suitable for little more than softies and fuges... esp at 13" deep. i've got 72 watts of PC on my BC29 and i've had an Acan frag in there on a frag rack near the top, and still it's showed little evidence of growth.

seems the truely relavent choices these days are:

1. T5-HO

2. MH

or

3. DIY LED

you can keep pretty much anything you want under any of those.

cheers...

since the manufacturers of lights don't give out PAR readings at certain depths though the watt per gallon rule is still useful. I think we have all agreed that watt per gallon is based on PC efficiency vs. T5 or metal halide, and is set above a standard dimension tank. Or at least if that is the way the rule worked it would be more useful.

:welcome: to nano-reef.com

I think the watts per gallon rule is still not helpful since there are few intermediate bulb wattages for people to choose from. For MH, watts are important since the bulb sizes don't vary much, but fluorescents and LEDs are more tied to the type and number of bulbs (with usually a maximum based on tank dimensions) than strictly wattage.

You don't need T5VHO, but T5HO fixtures are better than PCs not only for their efficiency but also for the wide selection of bulbs that allow you to bring out nice colors in those acans. See the T5HO information thread in the lighting forum for more explanation.

Thanks for all the info.

I will be going with the T5HO. Is there anything wrong with fishneedit.com? prices seem to be very low compared to other sites.

Should I go with the 2x24 for LPS and Soft Corals or go with the 4x24?

thanks again,

jb

Thanks for all the info.

I will be going with the T5HO. Is there anything wrong with fishneedit.com? prices seem to be very low compared to other sites.

Should I go with the 2x24 for LPS and Soft Corals or go with the 4x24?

thanks again,

jb

Decent fixture for the price, bulbs are not UVL quality, decent to get started on, but consider getting quality bulbs soon if you get the fishneedit light. T5 lights are fairly dependent on reflector shape for the output they produce and the reflectors those come with although individual, are not shaped optimally, so useful light will be reduced compared to a higher quality fixture. Its definitely better than PC though.

so in the long wrong i would be better off going with current usa or orbit or tek light?

Probably, but if you really need to scratch the reefing itch, the fishneedit unit will work pretty well till you can save for an upgrade.

The tek is the best because of its reflectors. If you can afford it, it's a great investment, especially if you get quality bulbs with it at sites like reefgeek.com.

Archived