SaltCritters.com

Acropora1981's 28g Box of Underwater Awesome

acropora1981

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

You're back!!! WOW.... been wondering what has been going on with your tank.

Hope you don't disappear again.

Glad to hear you were able to get everything back on track.. I love your monti.. is it just the picture, or is it a light lilac purple color?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
acropora1981
omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

You're back!!! WOW.... been wondering what has been going on with your tank.

Hope you don't disappear again.

Glad to hear you were able to get everything back on track.. I love your monti.. is it just the picture, or is it a light lilac purple color?

Haha whats up buddy!? Yeah I've been really busy with my business www.torontoaquariums.ca ...

but here I am! Yes that montipora is actually that hot pink color. However; I beleive it is due to being moderately bleached from MONTHS of red bugs that were killed only about 4 weeks ago. It is slowly regaining color. I imagine that it will at some point be more red again, instead of the creamsicle color that it is now.

The tank is now mostly SPS and sports a calcium reactor (Aquamaxx CR-1) AND a constant kalk stirrer/ATO system for calcium and pH needs. It is also sporting a ReefKeeper Light for flow and temperature control.

I'm actually just about to set up a smaller tank for the softies with much subdued lighting (T5/LED)

How are you?

Haha whats up buddy!? Yeah I've been really busy with my business www.torontoaquariums.ca ...

but here I am! Yes that montipora is actually that hot pink color. However; I beleive it is due to being moderately bleached from MONTHS of red bugs that were killed only about 4 weeks ago. It is slowly regaining color. I imagine that it will at some point be more red again, instead of the creamsicle color that it is now.

The tank is now mostly SPS and sports a calcium reactor (Aquamaxx CR-1) AND a constant kalk stirrer/ATO system for calcium and pH needs. It is also sporting a ReefKeeper Light for flow and temperature control.

I'm actually just about to set up a smaller tank for the softies with much subdued lighting (T5/LED)

How are you?

I can imagine your aquarium service has kept you busy, especially in the Toronto area.. LOL. A couple of those planted tanks make me want to get into Freshwater again.

Oh wow.. that has a lot of coloring up to do then if it used to be hot pink.. I thought it was a purple like an idaho grape or something.

Nice that you are switching this tank to sps. I have a good mix in mine now and am only looking for a couple different ones to round out the colors and species. Pink and ponape birdsnest and a pink Pocci are on the top of my list.

I don't blame you for getting another tank for your softies. If you do led lighting for them, I would suggest the lower end. My xenia does ok under leds, but looks nicer under the T5's, where as the sps look awesome under the leds and grow faster too.

I am doing well myself.. my main 57g display has had it's ups and downs and going through a tiny cyano outbreak right now, but that always happens this time of year. Corals are growing and I have been fragging a little bit.

I set up a second 20L (for those two tiny little clowns I got a couple years ago), with par30 and 38 lighting. I just got BoostLeds par30 all royal blues in today to use as actinic lighting and OMG.... they blew my mind.. I tried taking pics and am gonna post em on my thread, just am hoping to see if I can balance the color a little bit.

I can't wait to see more pics of your tank as everything grows out again.

acropora1981
I can imagine your aquarium service has kept you busy, especially in the Toronto area.. LOL. A couple of those planted tanks make me want to get into Freshwater again.

Oh wow.. that has a lot of coloring up to do then if it used to be hot pink.. I thought it was a purple like an idaho grape or something.

Nice that you are switching this tank to sps. I have a good mix in mine now and am only looking for a couple different ones to round out the colors and species. Pink and ponape birdsnest and a pink Pocci are on the top of my list.

I don't blame you for getting another tank for your softies. If you do led lighting for them, I would suggest the lower end. My xenia does ok under leds, but looks nicer under the T5's, where as the sps look awesome under the leds and grow faster too.

I am doing well myself.. my main 57g display has had it's ups and downs and going through a tiny cyano outbreak right now, but that always happens this time of year. Corals are growing and I have been fragging a little bit.

I set up a second 20L (for those two tiny little clowns I got a couple years ago), with par30 and 38 lighting. I just got BoostLeds par30 all royal blues in today to use as actinic lighting and OMG.... they blew my mind.. I tried taking pics and am gonna post em on my thread, just am hoping to see if I can balance the color a little bit.

I can't wait to see more pics of your tank as everything grows out again.

The montipora used to be red/orange; its just bleached out but it is coming back and gets brighter every week. Those red bugs really do a number on corol coloration. I had to get Interceptor heart worm medication from a vet.

I have pink birdsnest (two types - thin and thick branch) I'm sure I could frag some for you. I also have the crystally green/pink type of pocillopora - one peice has attached, and another peice is just floating around - again yours if you want it. Perhaps a trade is in order :D My GF and I pass near Belleville a few times each summer because we go up to Perth (Ottawa valley) to see her parents and to fish/hunt etc. We could arrange something then OR if you're ever downtown Toronto; were near College & Dufferin.

The new softie tank is definately mostly HOT5 - It has three 20ish watt HOT5's and I'm modding in two blue (455nm actinic) LED's at 10W a peice (they're from EBAY). Basically just for the actinic and the shimmer effect, not really as the main lighting source. LED actinics are mind blowing...the oranges and greens are just insane under them. Nothing else like it.

Glad to hear your tank is doing well; I had a look at the new pics, looking good.

I'm loving the planted tanks... to be honest, right now they are capturing a lot more of my attention than my reef tanks; customers are also really really into them right now.

If you want to a trade for the summer that would be cool. I usually meet people who are passing through at the Walmart here because it is right on the 401.

Let me know what you want to trade. I can do my red monticap, green with pink rim, I could probably grow out a green bottlebrush for you. Green tipped red digi, purple tipped digi is also doable (the way the purple tipped grows, I would give you a large frag of that). I also have gsp and xenia that grow prolifically as well. LOL

acropora1981
If you want to a trade for the summer that would be cool. I usually meet people who are passing through at the Walmart here because it is right on the 401.

Let me know what you want to trade. I can do my red monticap, green with pink rim, I could probably grow out a green bottlebrush for you. Green tipped red digi, purple tipped digi is also doable (the way the purple tipped grows, I would give you a large frag of that). I also have gsp and xenia that grow prolifically as well. LOL

green bottlebrush acro (the more metallic one, first the top pic from your recent photo update) and green tipped red digi suit me :D That way I'll have FOUR different digi's lol (already have purple, lime green and orange)!

Which 2 did you want? I have the 2 birdsnests (you can see them both in the recent pics) and the pocillopora I mentioned... I can mount them towards the end of April so they're encrusted and ready to go in late may May/early June.

Ok, I will do a red digi and green bottlebrush for you then. The bottlebrush might be a bit small, but I am going to try to get it to grow out for you for a couple of months first so that it is well encrusted.

Is the purple digi you have actually purple polyp or purple tipped? Because the one I have is Brown polyp with purple tips.

I might buy a couple others off of you.. like a green digi, and then one each of the birdsnests and the pink pocci. I have a green brown one here.

acropora1981
Ok, I will do a red digi and green bottlebrush for you then. The bottlebrush might be a bit small, but I am going to try to get it to grow out for you for a couple of months first so that it is well encrusted.

Is the purple digi you have actually purple polyp or purple tipped? Because the one I have is Brown polyp with purple tips.

I might buy a couple others off of you.. like a green digi, and then one each of the birdsnests and the pink pocci. I have a green brown one here.

Hm...maybe I will take some of the purple digi as well then - mine is purple all over (and only mildly purple) and I love that purple tip stuff.

The green digi is a problem - all I have of it is a very small stub. It was one of the more affected corals; the montiporas suffered most because they had black bugs which are much more aggressive than red bugs. If it recovers enough that there is a fraggable portion, then sure, but right now there's very little to frag.

I'll definitely mount a frag of the two birdsnests and pocci for you for now. Oh, hey I also have a blue/green deep water acro that is stunning, and I have lots of it. I'll see if I can get some better pics in a few days; my sister took some shots with her new Canon SLR last night so i should be able to have some better shots in a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
acropora1981

So I've made the leap with my girlfriend and moved in with her (my first attemp at adult co-habitation). Five days in things are good, but as you may have guessed I had to move my whole hobby from my old place to my new place in Toronto.

If you've ever done a move like this with a reef tank you know its a PITA... but, happy to report that 7 days after the move, the tank looks good, corals seem fine, equipment is all up and running, etc etc. The only real shame is that the back mounted montipora died a lot on the part attached to the back of the aquarium because it dried out. I was not able to find a good method to keep it wet. The rest of that monti is alive and well (the large portion that sticks out). I also damaged my blue tip acro via my thumb (while trying to remove it from the large peice of LR that it was sitting on. I think it will grow back, but its too early to tell.

I'm part of a group buy for some BRS eco dry rock and next week I'll be setting up a softy/LPS tank in order to remove some of the stress from this tank which has now clearly become an SPS dominated tank. The new tank will be in a AquelMax AIO from europe (it was given to me), and will be thick with xenia, PD's, hammer corals, colts, etc etcs :D. It will also feature 3x 24W T5, and 2x 10W 455 NM LED's (ebay style).

• 3 weeks later...
acropora1981

BRS eco rock came in; its nice, but a bit bigger peices than I would have liked & difficult (impossible!) to break it lol...thats ok though it still looks good.

Corals growing like mad in SPS tank...removal of soft corals & lowering of light closer to surface has increased growth by a large factor.

BRS eco rock came in; its nice, but a bit bigger peices than I would have liked & difficult (impossible!) to break it lol...thats ok though it still looks good.

Corals growing like mad in SPS tank...removal of soft corals & lowering of light closer to surface has increased growth by a large factor.

Sweet tank. Sorry to hear about some of your coral not making it through the move. Glad to hear your getting great SPS growth. Good luck with co-living.

acropora1981
Sweet tank. Sorry to hear about some of your coral not making it through the move. Glad to hear your getting great SPS growth. Good luck with co-living.

I didn't lose any corals... I lost a portion of my red montipora that got exposed to air... 90% is still fine... ty though. The other damaged peices grew back over the past 10 days.

I'm getting 5-6 very high end acro frags this weekend and my sister is basically giving me her old digital SLR camera so I'll have some very sweet and sexy pics on the weekend.

Also, I got a crocea clam yesterday to go with my derasa :D

I'm getting 5-6 very high end acro frags this weekend and my sister is giving me her old digital SLR camera so I'll have some very sweet and sexy pics on the weekend.

Also, I got a crocea clam yesterday to go with my derasa :D

Nice!

Where are the pics of everything else you promised? LOL..

I am glad to hear the tank move went successfully for you and the growth of the sps have increased. Sucks a little about the red digi, but thankfully you only lost a small percentage of it.

I have some frags growing out here for you still. I am definitely going to be in Toronto come the end of August for FanExpo. :D I so can't wait.. Geek weekend all the way.

acropora1981

i suppose i did promise some moar pics. My sister sold me her Digital SLR for $50 (its only 3 yrs old!) so very soon I will have high def. pics, but basically Ive just been really busy with the move and taxes and life n stuff lol.

yeah the red cap was sweet growing on the back wall, but its alright...that peice is basically too big for the tank at this point anyway, maybe it will slow its growth a tad ;)

acropora1981

Got the new frags in the system and they include a blue a. lokani, blue a. tortuosa, yellow a. caroliniana, blue and red a. prostrata, lime green m. capricornis and a green/yellow/peach a. millipora

I have the new camera but I need to buy a lens for it so no new pics yet.

acropora1981

New FTS

fulltank_may2.JPG

It looks OK, but to me its still pretty blah... you can see for sure that the algae issue is mostly solved. Corals are looking good, everything is dialed in where it should be :) Now if I can just keep it clean and stable for a year it should look nice.

If you right click and 'view image' its actually a pretty large image, so its got some good detail :)

Once things start growing you are going to run out of room and need to upgrade in no time.. Very nice looking FTS.. it is really coming along.

acropora1981
Once things start growing you are going to run out of room and need to upgrade in no time.. Very nice looking FTS.. it is really coming along.

thanks neb... if I can just kick the remaining algae and stabilise the KH I should be seeing some serious growth very very soon. You are right; I will eventually run out of space ;)

• 3 weeks later...
acropora1981

This tank is rockin' it now :) Very happy with current growth trends... KH is stable @ 10, pH stable @ 8.2, calcium stable @ 440.... the crocea has already put on a few growth rings :D

I got a Hanna Phosphate meter to confirm phosphate readings, and phosphate reads 0.00. I checked the unit by making a standard solution of phosphate with plant nutrients.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived