Cultivated Reef

Acropora1981's 28g Box of Underwater Awesome

acropora1981

acropora1981

So... my ricordea are pissed off to the point where they are starting to detach from their rocks due to the light change? Weiiiirdness. SPS looks really fantastic though, and most of the LPS has adapted. I'm moving the rics to semi-shade as we speak, hopefully they won't ...I dunno... fall apart? They haven't bleached, they're just shrunken and seem to be letting go of the plugs they're on? Rics are so picky with light... PITA!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
westcoastreefer84
float3.jpg

This is so awesome! Can you just imagine, having a monti that spands the entire length of your tank, AND being able to move it to clean the glass! man i wanna do this.

acropora1981

haha yeah exactly! However, its already completely encrusted along the back, so I really don't want to move it. But I will be really happy when its quite large...

Update: Lost one ricordea...stupid ricordea. The less bright orange one. The others have been moved to shadier spots; I hope it helps.

acropora1981

thanks man.

My rics are dead. Stupid rics. They just like...melted. $50 just melted. I hate when that happends.

I have no idea if its because of a)light change or b)the fact that my tank is very low nutrient now due to vodka dosing & deltec skimmer & phosban reactor?"

• 4 weeks later...
acropora1981

So things have finally started to settle down; it has taken about 4 weeks for the tank to return to normalcy. I'm still not really sure what caused things to get so upset, but in the process I lost my acan, and 4 rics. All in all, thats not actually all that bad. I mean, it sucks, but I still have like 25 species that are fine. It does suck that they were the nicest peices in the tank (why does it always happent that way?). Thankfully, they were all captive propagated peices. Lately due to the losses I've been ignoring the tank. I keep the levels where they need to be, but I haven't been looking at the tank. Just letting it do its thing.

I've started my own aquarium company here in Toronto, so I've been desinging and installing and maintaining a bunch of aquariums for people here.

acropora1981
psh pocket change

not to me lol... I paid off all my debt. I'm debt free. Feels amazing!

I was GOING to post a new FTS today, but I got home from working in Toronto for a week, and my SPS are a bitbleachy, I renewed my Purigen and it caused a mini bleach event arg...nothing is actually bleached, just a bit pale.

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your tank. I always like yours. It has been an inspiration.

I am glad to hear also that your business is also doing well. Where in T.O. are you set up?

Hopefully you can get your camera working and get a few pics up of your tank, even if things are bleached out a bit.

acropora1981
not to me lol... I paid off all my debt. I'm debt free. Feels amazing!

I was GOING to post a new FTS today, but I got home from working in Toronto for a week, and my SPS are a bitbleachy, I renewed my Purigen and it caused a mini bleach event arg...nothing is actually bleached, just a bit pale.

No problems... corals are recovered from the mini bleech. It happens with Purigen. I think I will discontinue its use as soon as I get my PNx biopellets up and running :D

I'm glad you like the tank. I will likely do a bit of an overhaul towards october, increase light to 250W, upgrade to warner marine H1 etc...maybe lol.

acropora1981
Nice tank! I like the clam!

Still banned? :(

I was unbanned on June 22 by Christopher, Mike was apparently talked to about it etc. I've been out fishing Pike, Crappie, Panfish, pickeral, and this weekend, large mouth bass since like Tuesday lol... Great week of fishing in Eastern Ontario!!! No time for internetz until today when i got home.

Glad to see you are unbanned.. Here is hoping all your faded corals bounce back. Need some more pics. LOL.

Yes.. this weekend was awsome for fishing.

acropora1981
Glad to see you are unbanned.. Here is hoping all your faded corals bounce back. Need some more pics. LOL.

Yes.. this weekend was awsome for fishing.

corals are all back to 100%. I'll post more pics ...eventually? lol... I just added NPx Biopellets. We'll see what 2 months of heavy feeding and super efficient skimming can do, then I'll post pics lol

acropora1981
Good to see that you're unbanned. That was some major BS.

lol yup. I think that guys ego will eventually cause him problems. Not with me mind you, but in general.

I have been wondering how those biopellets do for everyone's tanks. It is something I am considering for a future purchase and I want to see if they live up to all the hype.

cheryl jordan
I have been wondering how those biopellets do for everyone's tanks. It is something I am considering for a future purchase and I want to see if they live up to all the hype.

Same here.

Hey Acropora hope all is well :)

acropora1981
Same here.

Hey Acropora hope all is well :)

Very well thanks! Thanks for your PM's last week :)

As for the BioPellets... I also hope they live up to the hype, but I was willing to shell out $50 to find out! Actually I think the bag I bought will last about 2 years in a tank my size....thats pretty darn good I think, if it works. I hope it does. I think it will. Actually I got some of each type; the NP and the competitor NPx. Local LFS gave me a sample of the NPx, and I bought the NP. They have slightly different shape but other than that look like they are made of the same stuff.

• 3 months later...

So this tank is still running :)

Its now got biopellets, a PSK 75H eshopps hang on needle wheel (awesome skimmer btw), as well as a schuran pico calcium reactor.

It went through a really rough period there, not sure what was wrong. Basically, the corals didn't grow for like 2-3 months, and there was a crazy amount of cotton candy algae, yet low nitrates and phosphates; really bazar. Algae has gone away with using mexican turbos and the corals are growing again.

Anyway, I'll post pics when I'm happy with the tank.

• 4 months later...
acropora1981

The long list of issues plaguing this tank (cotton candy algae, red bugs, black bugs, aiptasia, low pH) have finally been solved; here are some low quality pics from my blackberry :)

IMG00001-20110301-2103.jpg

IMG00002-20110301-2103.jpg

IMG00003-20110301-2103.jpg

IMG00004-20110301-2103.jpg

IMG00005-20110301-2104.jpg

Archived