Innovative Marine Aquariums

Acropora1981's 28g Box of Underwater Awesome

acropora1981

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, picked up some local frags near Toronto, from a fellow over in Alliston.... 10 bucks each! Sizeable too...

Favorte:

blueacro.jpg

This peachy acro looks brownish here...but its quite pink/orange actually:

pinkgreenacro.jpg

This orange monti peice is as big as my palm for ten bucks! I think I'm going to break it up and glue it to the back of the tank...

orangecap.jpg

Nice crystally green pocillipora...

greenpoc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

My favorite coral, the palau green nepthea in the middle of the tank, got some kind of crazy necrotizing bacterial infection inside; it started to turn black? Weird because its been healthy and growing for over 8 months... Anyway I managed to frag healthy portions of it, but the large base section had to be discarded. So far the frags have not attached to anything (its been about a week since this happened). I was quite upset...but I am happy that at least SOME of the coral is still alive. Not sure what lead up to the event, but I have increased flow in the tank as a precaution by adding a Koralia Nano.

I haven't posted a new FTS for a few weeks because I'm not entirely happy with the coral placement right now; its been difficult to find a good place to put that large, awkward plating montipora, as a result the tank looks healthy, but not actually all that well aquascaped. Once I find a proper place for the monti I'll post a new FTS.

Also, my crocea clam didnt make it... I'll try a squamosa or a Derasa or possibly a maxima in the near future; I never had much luck with croceas, especially little guys like that. He was fine for about 2 weeks, and even light responsive in the last 12 hours. I woke up and went down to the tank around 10 am last week and he was being eaten by scavengers.

Sorry to hear about the clam and the nepthea! That monti was a great deal! Hopefully you get it mounted the way you want it. Aren't the Derasa and maximas a little big to be putting in a 29? I think they both grow to like the size of a football?

I added a pair of Banggai Cardinals over the weekend. They hid for about 24 hours, but now are coming out more and more. Seem to be hanging out together as well. Some of you may be aware that I used to breed them ;)

Yeah, but its really easy to trade a big clam...

Gotcha.

Congrats on the cardinals, are you planning on breeding them again? What was the tank setup for fry?

Gotcha.

Congrats on the cardinals, are you planning on breeding them again? What was the tank setup for fry?

Definately will breed them again if they are willing ;) The fry were raised initially in a 10 gallon, and eventually moved into a 20 gallon about 2 months in, and then eventually a 40 gallon.

Cool, what do they lay the eggs on in your display?

They're mouth brooders (like african cichlids, except the male carries the eggs). Check my thread about them here

Yeah; tank teardown. I actually got my acro's off the same guy a few weeks ago. He's moving and he's down to the wire so the prices are at rock bottom!

Here are some macro's I took last night... amazingly with my 3.2 megapixel HP point and shoot (7 years old?)!

Hammer

hammer14.jpg

Seriatopora (species anyone?)

birdsnest6.jpg

Duncan

duncan13.jpg

And my fave, my photosynthetic gorg!

gorgmacro.jpg

Archived