Innovative Marine Aquariums

How come Live Rock Rubble is a nitrate factory?

Nemo Niblets

Okay,

So I know that LR rubble is a nitrate factory in a Biocube/Nanocube sump. It collects detritus, etc... But how come the LR rubble in the back is a nitrate factory, and the LR in the display isn't?

People put live rock in their refugiums all the time, and that isn't a problem. But I've seen tanks have problems due to live rock rubble in the middle chamber of a bio/nanocube.

It's not like LR rubble does anything different than bioballs... so what's the difference between putting it in the main display and the sump?

in the dt u have flow that will dislodge all the crap and ur filtration can take it out. in the back chambers there isnt much flow and the crap collects up and causes nitrates.

in the main display you generally have fewer larger pieces that cant trap as much detritus because of flow or cleanup crews or generally just getting blown around. in a fuge detritus gets trapped between pieces of rock and theres no cleanup crew in there and flow is pretty one dimensional which is going to create dead spots

More places for it to get stuck and build up due to potential low flow areas. Plus, if you see detritus build up on your rocks in your display, you'll likely clean it up by blowing it off using the turkey baster method. If it's jammed in a chamber in the back of an All In One, not only is it out of sight out of mind, it's almost impossible to clean. The benefit does not outweigh the extra maintenance required.

The exterior of liverock is still a nitrate factory no matter how large the piece. The beneficial bacteria is more present deep in the rock.

At least that is what I have been told.

Live rock rubble can be good to help pod growth though, which is why I have used it in a fuge in the past.

The exterior of liverock is still a nitrate factory no matter how large the piece. The beneficial bacteria is more present deep in the rock.

At least that is what I have been told.

Live rock rubble can be good to help pod growth though, which is why I have used it in a fuge in the past.

In a standard fuge live rock is fine as long as its not clumped into a tight space with areas all the crap can lay and get stuck on. I have live rock in my fuge but its a few pieces spread out evenly where it wont trap POOP.

Now in a HOB fuge i wouldnt do it. The pieces just have to be all jammed in there in a pile causing pockets of build up.

so is it bad to use it in a bubble tower in a sump drain like melev has on his site, or is there enough flow coming through that where it wouldn't be a problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,

So I know that LR rubble is a nitrate factory in a Biocube/Nanocube sump. It collects detritus, etc... But how come the LR rubble in the back is a nitrate factory, and the LR in the display isn't?

I've wondered this myself......

Phil

I put some LRR in the bottom of my remora skimmer will that be a nitrate Factory. What if your overflow hits the LRR? A lot of water movement in first chamber also my maxijet 1200 feeding my remora.

Okay,

People put live rock in their refugiums all the time, and that isn't a problem. But I've seen tanks have problems due to live rock rubble in the middle chamber of a bio/nanocube.

It's not like LR rubble does anything different than bioballs... so what's the difference between putting it in the main display and the sump?

I've been running a bunch of 1" pieces of LR in my AIO sump for over a year. If you intend to keep it back there (for whatever reason) its a good idea to put the rubble in a plastic mesh bag (like the ones that fruit sometimes comes in). Very easy to remove the bag of rubble and clean the chamber of detritus every month or so.

Detritus buildup in the sand bed has been my only big producer of nitrate.

Okay,

So I know that LR rubble is a nitrate factory...

Is it? or is that just anecdotal

It collects detritus, etc...

Is that not beneficial for a benthic zone?

But how come the LR rubble in the back is a nitrate factory, and the LR in the display isn't?

I wonder that as well. Once again, is it purely anecdotal, or is it just that time is necessary to establish benthic organisms to break down the detritus.

Check out the video referenced in this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969713

he specifically references the detritus in the benthic zone, and how it feeds the beneficial organisms therein.

Is that not beneficial for a benthic zone?

I wonder that as well. Once again, is it purely anecdotal, or is it just that time is necessary to establish benthic organisms to break down the detritus.

nitrates are a byproduct of the bacteria breaking down the detritus

ill_nitrogen_cycle.gif

Archived