SaltCritters.com

Good Flatworm or BAD flatworm?

kayl

Looked at my tank today and saw a bunch of flatworms on the front glass- see the attached shots. Are these the good flatworms that eat algae or should I kill them? How should I go about killing them if I should do that?

I don't have any fish in the tank, but do have snails and a few hermits in the tank.

Tank stuff: the cycle is complete, but I'm not adding fish until after my vacation ;)

SG: 1.025

pH: 8

Temp: 78*

post-6945-1261188787_thumb.jpg

post-6945-1261188799_thumb.jpg

looks like the bad kind to me. the rust brown kind. There is chemicals you can add your tank. Ive never tried it but ive heard mixed things. Its better to use on fish only tanks i believe. Ive also read a sixline wrasse will eat them. I currently have the same problem and either the sixline cant keep up with them reproducing or its not eating them. I think a blue velvet nudibranch will eat this too but can starve and die after he eats them all. Might wanna double check this info im kinda a newbie.

cheryl jordan

They look like the bad ones. If you have no corals, inverts or fish just don't feed your tank and syphon the ones off the glass. Alternative if do not have anything alive in your tank you could go with the Flatworm Exit with carbon change and big water change after treatment. I would definitly get on top of it though before adding anything to the tank.

They look like the bad ones. If you have no corals, inverts or fish just don't feed your tank and syphon the ones off the glass. Alternative if do not have anything alive in your tank you could go with the Flatworm Exit with carbon change and big water change after treatment. I would definitly get on top of it though before adding anything to the tank.

I dont know of any good flat worms. When they die they release toxic chems that can nuke your tank. If you have nothing in your tank at the moment then definitely do the FWE (flat worm exit) treatment.

skimlessinseattle

Good or bad, I'm not sure you could classify them as either. The problem with flatworms is that when they reproduce, and they will quickly, they can cover coral surfaces blocking their light, which can have obvious negative effects.

I have had to battle these guys in the past and it is a PITA. The most common problem flatworms are the rusty red color ones that lakshwadeep was refering to. I'm not sure the ones you have will proliferate as quickly as those, but its up to you to find out...or take care of a potential problem now.

A good biological solution is to use a predator of flatworms. I know that sixlines work from personal experience, and have heard from other members that the yellow coris wrasse works well too. Other potential predators are the blue-green chromis and the target mandrin.

Flatworm Exit is the best chemical solution. I have used it, and I would recommend it. This stuff kills fast, but you have to have all your ducks in a row before you begin treatment. You need carbon and at least a 20% WC ready when you treat. I would recommend active carbon filtration - running it throug a reactor or HOB filter or skimmer as this is much more efficient. It you can't do that, use at least 2 mesh bags. Read and follow the directions. It is also important to note that FWE does affect cerith snails, bristleworms and starfish negatively. It's hard to explain, but it almost puts them in a comatose state for several days. They do eventually recover, but this is a normal reaction to the treatment. It does not affect fish or coral.

I would consider some type of treatment before they potentially get out of hand. Physical removal also works, but is tedious.

Forgot to mention, natural predators can be hit or miss. When you use FWE you should use it 2-3 (maybe more) times the recommended dose. Also do a treatment at least once a week for a month and a half in order to kill the off spring when they hatch. When you dose oyu want to make sure you kill all the flat worms you see. The ones that remain will have a tolerance to the FWE. Like it has been said make sure you have carbon and water for a big water change available.

Archived