inTank Media Baskets

My male clownfish is very skinny

gurnie

...i went on to on to say that i have no life (so thats why i would have noticed)....

Wow, how did i manage that. I must have gotten distracted by something shiny.

out of curiosity, wouldnt it be worse to set up a QT? if its a fresh QT that hasnt been set up, the QT would cycle no? and then the fish would have to go thru the stress of being caught and acclimated to the new water.

wouldnt it be better to put it in a breeder net within the tank?

Typically, QT tanks don't have a cycle since the goal is only temporary and usually does not need to have a functioning nitrogen cycle.

A basic QT is a tank with fresh mixed SW and some clay pots or PVC elbows for hiding. No sand, no live rock (though dry rock would be okay) or anything like that.

With a QT regular water changes are required to combat the buildup of waste. As long as you do your water changes (and test the water to tell if you need a WC) fish are perfectly safe in a QT.

Ghost hell, that's a zombie fish. Feed it more fish brains!

All joking aside, I really do hope the little guy gets through this, although you will almost HAVE to medicate it regardless. Feel free to dose the QT tank, there's no inverts there (shouldn't be)

/how many men here have faced the wrath of a female such as this little sport has??

//hell hath no fury like a female clownfish's scorn etc

///hands clownfish a beer

////has had too many beers himself and too many slashies in this reply

Well he's not eating in QT tank (he was eating in the other tank)

Gave him a FW dip, put melafix in the tank, siphoning dirty food if he doesn't eat it. I'll do a small WC tomorrow. Dosed food with garlic he was like "whatever" when i offered PE Mysis with garlic

not sure what else i can do

Hmmm... at least he's still alive...

I wouldn't be overly concerned if he doesn't eat for a few days. Much beyond that though and it's not a good sign.

Regarding melafix, it's sorta hit-or-miss in my experience. It seems to work great with FW fish, but I've never had any success using it in salt.

If I were treating this fish I would leave it alone and treat with an anti-biotic to prevent secondary infection (use an anti-biotic suitable for such maladies as fin-rot etc.. A FW dip, while an effective treatment for some things, can also cause undue stress and in my opinion probably wasn't necessary in this particular case. In the end, stress is probably the #1 killer of fish. If not directly the cause, excess stress leads to a weakened immune system and allows parasites/viruses/bacteria etc. to take over.

In my experience using the fewest treatments from the start (only using treatments known to be effective) and not changing treatments mid-course gives the best results along with constant observation of the fish for signs of changes in condition. Try to keep everything else as normal as possible and make sure that he has plenty of hiding spots (can you post pics of your QT?).

So in conclusion, I'd just keep an eye on him for now.

good luck!

Yup i'll see if i can post pics of the QT though it might not be tonight (going to see avatar) but is a small QT (jbj 3 pictope) with a groupe of gooseneck barnacles that he can swim and hide under.

Not the biggest QT tank but that's all i have space for in my house because my 36G tank and that'll be way too stressful for him

Little guy died sometime last night. Not sure if there was much i could do; i changed the water twice, provided a hiding spot, put garlic drops in his food, gave him PE mysis and Rod's food. Gave him an anti-bacteria. His eyes stayed cloudy and as soon as he was moved to the QT he stopped eating (though he'd charged at food and maybe nip at it).

RIP little fishy

Now i just have the one b*tchy female clownfish. I'd like to get her a mate, but i'm not sure how to go about this since she was a real bully. Should i wait till my 36g is fully set-up?

Sorry G. My big black and white female bonded pretty well with a pretty small orange and white. You can get them alot cheaper, the pair looks cool. It might be worth a try.

gurnie,

Sorry for the loss. Do what I did complain to the fish store that the female killed your clown and ask to exchange it for a new pair. I did that and have a nice pair now. BTW, Clown fish will always fight, well in my experience they do.

Good Luck!

gurnie,

Sorry for the loss. Do what I did complain to the fish store that the female killed your clown and ask to exchange it for a new pair. I did that and have a nice pair now. BTW, Clown fish will always fight, well in my experience they do.

Good Luck!

I'm not going to complain because i got the pair two years ago for my birthday. It's not really their fault. But is a 14g biocube really suitable for a pair? I could get a small orange clown but the question is how small or how large should the next clownfish be?

Archived