Pod Your Reef

Confused about Silicone for your DIY tank?

nano-paul

• 5 months later...
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello all,

Not sure if this post is live but I have a silicone question.  I'm resealing an aquarium. Would it be beneficial or harmful to very lightly sand the glass prior to sealing? I was wondering if it would provide more surface arear for the silicone?

Planning on using GE 1 

Thank you

1 hour ago, CMuentener said:

Hello all,

Not sure if this post is live but I have a silicone question.  I'm resealing an aquarium. Would it be beneficial or harmful to very lightly sand the glass prior to sealing? I was wondering if it would provide more surface arear for the silicone?

Planning on using GE 1 

Thank you

What grit sandpaper? What kind of finish does the glass have on the edges? Straight or beveled or? It isn’t necessary to sand the edges in most cases, but it won’t weaken the structure. As long as you make sure your joints are 90 degrees and properly sealed, you should be fine either way.

Also, how large is the aquarium? I would say GE I is probably fine for nano tanks and below, but bigger tanks I’m not so sure. They specifically say not to use it in the construction of aquariums, but that could just be for liability purposes. I’ve seen hundreds of people use it in sump construction, but sumps are a bit different. 

• Like 1

does the brand of silicone really matter for resealing ?
I'm looking at

APEL 

ASI

AKfix

Aqueon

The ASI brand seems to have the most reviews on amazon, but reviews sound like is sets rapidly and I don't want to rush spreading the silicone over the seams

I have used the ASI brand in the past and have had no issues. 

Used it also on making a sump and it has held the acrylic to glass on a 40 breeder for 5 years now with no issues. 

• 10 months later...
On 8/24/2010 at 9:34 AM, nano-paul said:

To be honest I would not use anything that DAP made. JMO.

So much to catch up on in this thread. If I were building a 100g rimless 795 would be my choice, period.

WHY?....795 DOES NOT DRY TO A REALLY RUBBERY BEAD.....ITS ALMOST SOMEWHAT FOAMY THAT U CAN SCRATCH IT WITH YOUR NAIL