Coral Vue Hydros

Confused about Silicone for your DIY tank?

nano-paul

I bought 2.The package does not indicate any mold reistance,perhaps just a typo on the webpage.Limitation is for a 30 gallon or less,water height 18" or less.Safe for food contact when cured and washed.I will be using it to adhere my overflow box and sump baffles.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here's a question that I'm stuck with.

I'm building a glass sump and the baffles and dividers will also be glass. I will be painting the back of the glass black to prevent light spill and other things. Should I paint the entire glass panel and then silicone it in place? I don't need a lot of adhesion since it's all inside the tank, but do you think the bond would be too weak if there's a few layers of paint between the glass and the silicone?

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve adhesion or any other methods to do this?

Thanks.

AJ try to avoid getting any paint on the edges of the baffles it will greatly limit the adhesion. May be weak enough to not hold the baffles.

Use painters tape to mask off your desired bead width on the baffles, paint & peel ,then silicone it in with black silicone if you want ,or clear. ;)

Hope that helps.

I have to silicone my overflow cover to the tank.. and i was thinking of using GE Silicone I since i used it on all my sump baffles in the past and it has worked great, but in the starting stages it always turns a weird yellowish color and i don't want that this time around. Would i be right to thinking i should use DAP aquarium sealant this time around? I just want a strong bond that will last, and won't turn colors or get all mucked up after a while.

The overflow cover is acrylic.. and my tank is glass so... DAP?

last time nano-paul was talking about dap, pretty sure he said not to trust it.

the list in the firsy post should have something. but think that the 795 would be the recommendation for non glass to glass.

I would NOT trust DAP for non-glass to glass on anything but non water tight baffels. (this has nothing to do with pressure)

Glass to glass OK but when you have non-glass to glass in a "needs to be water tight" situation you need to be picky as normal silicone will let loose of the non-glass over time.

I will let you all know how the Dap aquarium silicone holds up over time.I used it for the install of my acrylic o/f to my glass tank.

Just curious

Any reason why some would not use Dap??

And have you had any experience using it??

I will let you all know how the Dap aquarium silicone holds up over time.I used it for the install of my acrylic o/f to my glass tank.

Just curious

Any reason why some would not use Dap??

And have you had any experience using it??

Just not my favorite. It is really low on my list. I would rather use a GE product.

do you happen to know if that okay you got from GE for the 795's usage on pvc-glass bonds were ratings for vertical surfaces? i.e. shear strength vs tensile strength. I want to do a pvc back on a 10g nano as well. I wonder how strong the bond actually is

do you happen to know if that okay you got from GE for the 795's usage on pvc-glass bonds were ratings for vertical surfaces? i.e. shear strength vs tensile strength. I want to do a pvc back on a 10g nano as well. I wonder how strong the bond actually is

I have used 795 and from what I read, the back of a 10g in pvc should not be a problem. 795 is what the big aquariums use in their huge tanks. Biggest issue with 795 is the long cure time.

I personally would not think twice about using 795 in any home aquarium setup regardless of the situation. 795 is the best and once you experience how "sticky" it is you will understand. Unless you have had some practice making a nice looking silicon bead, you might want to mask off your silicon bead area and then pull the masking tape off immediately after "working" the bead.

I wasnt aware you worked with silicon any other way, now to figure out if pvc sheets actually have plasticizers in them that would leech and compromise the seal. that would mess up my project if i rough up the surface then have to seal it anyways

Is DAP premium elastomeric latex sealent ok Im going to be using it for a sump?

Latex anything is a NO.

I wasnt aware you worked with silicon any other way, now to figure out if pvc sheets actually have plasticizers in them that would leech and compromise the seal. that would mess up my project if i rough up the surface then have to seal it anyways

It will hold and should be just fine.

Thanks Nano-Paul.

Nice German short haired Pointer btw. :)

Thank you! I have two of them :)

Edited by nano-paul

I used GE Silicone I to connect my overflow cover to my glass tank. Overflow was acrylic and i roughed up the edges too.. think it will hold? I used this same silicone for baffles in my sump and the baffles were acrylic and it held up excellent, but maybe these are two different applications. Whatdy'a guys think?

• 5 weeks later...

unless some one want to jump in & correct me. (please if I'm wrong sooner rater than later)

adhesion occurs on a molecular level. the edge should not matter only the material.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic