Cultivated Reef

LEDs and LENSES Group Buy Part 2! CLOSED!

deepdvnarq

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Making this official:

I'll take:

18 XR-E cool whites

18 XR-E royal blues

2 meanwell "P''s

Thanks for your efforts!

gotcha ya

Hey deep,

you've got me down on the summary for 36 XP-e RB and 36 XR-e RB, can you switch the XP-E RB for the XP-G CW. I think you just posted it in the wrong column, just want to be sure before the order gets made. 72 RB's would make for one really blue tank!!

Also, with the delay in the Meanwells, is it going to be split into two different orders? If it is then I'll go ahead and get some lenses too, if not then I'll have to wait till the budget (wife) gives me the ok.

Thanks

Whitiecasper82

sorry for the mistake got you down. pm sent

wondering the same thing between the p and d

please put me down for

2 dimmable 0-10 meanwells

xr-e

8 rb

8 cw

going to be for a bc 14 do i need optics

i got you down. please confirm with me on the MW driver. for a setup like this, all you need is 12 LEDs total and use the 2 buckpuck drivers. optics needed. checkout out waterproof's thread on his bc14, click on mine (updates coming soon), and checkout the comprehensive LED thread for ideas. let me know

Hey Dennis,

You mentioned quantities available of the 'D' but no info on the 'P' version.

Would I receive my stuff faster if I opted from 'P' instead (I can work with either) or would it make no difference? I only ask as I don't want to have to change the bulbs in my current fixture if I can avoid it but they are getting pretty old...

Thanks!

-Ian

hi Ian,

unfortunately it makes no difference, they dont have crap for inventory at the moment. lol

OK, one more question...any idea how soon they might have 60 degree optics available for the xp-g?

Because if I'm waiting 7-8 weeks for the drivers I won't be running any fixtures sooner than that, and I might as well go with the more efficient LEDs and purchase 60 deg optics when they become available.

i have no idea and neither does the distributor. i hope cree or someone else makes one soon though.

Deep...

I am thinking about hooking up to the GB... have BC29 and have been thinking about building a LED retro. What would you say the right setup would be? Would 24 (@ 2.5" spacing L-R) 50/50 (wh/rb) XR-Es (unless 60 deg optics become available for XP-Gs) by themselves or w/60deg optics do the job or should I go for 28 (@ 2" spacing L-R)? In both cases Front - Back spacing would be 2". There is a total area of ~8" x 16" from what I can tell under there to work with. Do I need any UV's in there? I want to make sure I don't get any spotlights, just nice powerful light throught (w/dimming ofcourse). I know I can vary the optics front to back and left to right but not unless someone has a tried and true configuration. Also, would I need any night LEDs w/this, or can I just use the RB's dimmed way down?

Another question, on the dimming... I was trying to decide on analog v.s. PWM and can't find any specifics on what I need to get the dimming going for PWM. I guess for the analog all I should really need are potentiometers, right? What current would they need to take?

Want to build a light setup so I can keep pretty much anything, like clams on the sand bed etc. I guess equvalent to a 150W MH + actinics or so. The tank isn't set up yet so my projections are purely theoretical.

Thanks,

spacey :)

pm sent

I would like to get in on this, but I have a few questions. How many leds would be required on a 20H tank that is 24x 12x 16(high)? I’m thinking 20 with 80 degree optics. Would I need to purchase two Meanwells, and if the Meanwells are AC current do they still need a power supply or do they plug into a socket? Other then the leds, drivers, possible power supply, and heat sink are there going to be any major cost associated with this project other then wiring and little items like that?

you are correct on the number of LEDs. no power supply need for these drivers. and you will need 2 MW drivers. they run up to 13 LEDs. no other major costs that i can see. jsut making your dimming circuit. around $20 or so. dont forget your fans and a 12v walwart to run them

I have been following several of the LED threads on another forum, but want to get in on this group buy, if I can. How many xp-g cw R5 and xp-e can each meanwell drive? I want to get at least 2 of the D meanwells and LEDs to match to start experimenting.

each MW could drive upto 13 LEDs in series

Another question, on the dimming... I was trying to decide on analog v.s. PWM and can't find any specifics on what I need to get the dimming going for PWM. I guess for the analog all I should really need are potentiometers, right? What current would they need to take?

Do you ever plan to use a controller with your lights? Or build one for them? If so, get the pwm dimming version. If you do get the pwm version you can make a simple circuit to make that work until your controller is done.

Look up an 'op amp triangle wave generator'. You would feed that into one input of a comparator. The other input would be the wiper of a potentiometer hooked up over the same supply as the triangle wave generator. If you can handle trying to put that together and maybe understanding how it works a bit, then get the pwm version. :)

hope that helped.

-a

yes, you are not the only one it happened to. luckily i can see where your order multiplied. i have to send out revised invoices to all

got you down for

xr-e

6 rb

6 cw

12 80 degree optics

deep - Can you change my optics from 80s to 60s please?

TIA

Do you ever plan to use a controller with your lights? Or build one for them? If so, get the pwm dimming version. If you do get the pwm version you can make a simple circuit to make that work until your controller is done.

Look up an 'op amp triangle wave generator'. You would feed that into one input of a comparator. The other input would be the wiper of a potentiometer hooked up over the same supply as the triangle wave generator. If you can handle trying to put that together and maybe understanding how it works a bit, then get the pwm version. :)

hope that helped.

-a

I would tend to disagree, you should be able to use the D with a controller unless someone knows otherwise. It is very easy to make an analog signal from pwm but not the other way around...

Do they come on star boards? When I go to the Cree website they look like square things, but the star would appear to be easier to solder.

Do they come on star boards? When I go to the Cree website they look like square things, but the star would appear to be easier to solder.

Yes, they come on stars.

hope that helped.

-a

Thanks amnesiak... I definitely am thinking about using RK* to control them at some point particularly that their ALC module has 2 0-10V ports for just that sort of thing. For the time being however since I have the RKL I am not sure I am going to be able to fit within the 4 module limit on the controler to use one of them just fo the ALC. I already have to PC4s and SL2 and the 4th one is probably going to be the NET module.

But as far as I understand to get a PWM signal w/an attenuator you need to have special circuit built, sort of like you described, or w/an IC or two to make it nice. Or have another conrolling device w/an appropriate signal drive it. The 0-10V analog dimming inputs just sound a lot simpler to satisfy w/a power supply and a potentiometer to vary the voltage. And since those are dedicated control inputs they are low current so the pots don't have to be big, nor does the PS.

spacey B)

746 LEDS!!!!

Just committed my order on the group buy and it timed out before finishing. Although, it now show me as a committed buyer. Hopefully it went through. :huh: Just to make sure here's what was ordered:

54 - XP-G CW

52 - XP-E RB

106 - Optics for xp-g/xp-e 40 deg.

8 Meanwells eln-60-48 D

Thanks! jpmig

I would tend to disagree, you should be able to use the D with a controller unless someone knows otherwise. It is very easy to make an analog signal from pwm but not the other way around...

You're right, you can do that, too. pwm -> resistor -> cap & resistor in parallel to ground.

It's surprising looking at the datasheet and seeing that the analog dimming performs better than pwm. pwm is usually a way to get around the 0.7~1V diode drop and get better low-end dimming performance. 15% is kind of sucky. using the analog model is probably better if their datasheet is accurate.

-a

It's surprising looking at the datasheet and seeing that the analog dimming performs better than pwm. pwm is usually a way to get around the 0.7~1V diode drop and get better low-end dimming performance. 15% is kind of sucky. using the analog model is probably better if their datasheet is accurate.

-a

I was also surprised when I first noticed that on the datasheet. I suppose it really depends how they are adapting to analog vs pwm internally to make them different that is affecting the results.

They would most likely be using something with an ldo for the analog version but for whatever reason it is not translating to their implementation of the pwm version

Regardless the D version sure looks a lot nicer based on their data, but as you say we are trusting that they are correct.

for some reason the groupbuy site seems to keep failing every time I try to add more leds and drivers. So I am posting on here that I would like to change my order to this:

7 xp-g cw leds

7 xp-e rb leds

5 meanwell eln 60-48D drivers

Thanks for organizing such a huge group buy,

Lindsay

Thank you for all the work you have put into this!

The Group buy site got part of my order, The complete order is:

40 - XR-E Q5 WG

40 - XR-E RB

50 - 40 degree optics

30 - 60 degree optics

6 - Meanwell ELN-60-48 D’s

I’ve already paid for part of the order...(40 XR-E WG, and 40 XR-E RB).

You can PM me and let me know what I can do so that everything is straight.

Thanks again,

Stuart

There was an error adding my order. Here's mine (user: rsuplido):

24 XP-G -> this made it

24 XP-E -> this made it

4 ELN-60-48-D -> this did not make it

48 40deg XP lenses -> instructed to specify here

Please confirm.

Thanks!

Archived