Cultivated Reef

LEDs and LENSES Group Buy Part 2! CLOSED!

deepdvnarq

currently we are at 198 total LEDs with some orders pending and a few pretty big ones! i dont think we will have a proble hitting the last pricing tier

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so you said Ill be good with 5 whites and 5 blues for good coverage right! What else do I need beside the LEDs? I heard something about a meanwell? Do I need 1 or 2 to power up these LEDs? And last where can I find a heatsink? I am a noobie to this project but I am willing to Learn from others experiments insteaded of reading the evil led chemistry formula which I still won't understand at all beside of getting the right materials: LEDs, heatsink, fans, and power source. Please excuse my noobiness thanks, angel

Can you please specify the lenses available for the XP-G. I know you've stated several times 40 degrees and tighter, but am not sure what "tighter" means. Do they have 5 degree?

Can you please specify the lenses available for the XP-G. I know you've stated several times 40 degrees and tighter, but am not sure what "tighter" means. Do they have 5 degree?

at the time that is all the info i had was "tighter"! :lol:

all that we can get is 40 and 30 degree.

How many people down so far for the meanwells?

so far myself.....6. but there were at least 20 other units interested. i deleted everyone else's request without thinking. stupid me. i'm also waiting on a few others that metioned that they each wanted 20-30each. i think we will hit at least 30-60 units. depending if my other funding comes in, i will increase my order from 6 to16.

Ok so you said Ill be good with 5 whites and 5 blues for good coverage right! What else do I need beside the LEDs? I heard something about a meanwell? Do I need 1 or 2 to power up these LEDs? And last where can I find a heatsink? I am a noobie to this project but I am willing to Learn from others experiments insteaded of reading the evil led chemistry formula which I still won't understand at all beside of getting the right materials: LEDs, heatsink, fans, and power source. Please excuse my noobiness thanks, angel

the heatsink you can get at heatsinkusa.com

for your project, use the buckpuck drivers intead of the meanwell. you will only need 2 buckpucks. PM me for other details of your project.

new LED total 223

Deep question,

If I understand the lenses the tighter the lens the higher the par? If so, would it be good to put 60 degrees in the center and 40's on the outside?

Deep question,

If I understand the lenses the tighter the lens the higher the par? If so, would it be good to put 60 degrees in the center and 40's on the outside?

thats correct. the "tighter" the lense the higher the PAR because it concentrates the light. in your situation you referenced, i dont think it would be good or bad, just different. if you were trying to get a higher PAR down on the sandbed or not let light spill out of the tank while keeping not too high PAR levels on the rock work in the center of the tank (most tank setups)...sure, i like the idea. somewhat of what i did on my 37gal setup. i put 60 degree on the back row and 40 degree on the middle and front row. i did this so i wouldn't cook the corals since the back is closer to the LEDs.

Hey Deep,

I just wanted to make sure you got my request for two (2) ELN-60-48-D

Also, would you be able to modify my order to be 12 80 degree and 12 60 degree XR-E optics instead of the current 24 60 degree?

Thank you so much,

-Ian

Ok here goes....

I'm in for:

13 meanwell ELN-60-48D

25 XR-E cool white

75 XR-E royal blue

45 XP-G cool white

44 XP-G 40 deg optics

30 XR-E 40 deg optics

60 XR-E 60 deg optics

Oof da!

-Tim

Ok, take note that the gotogroupbuy.com LED tally is now incorrect...I got an error message while committing to buy, so I "clicked again" and it submitted my order twice. So now it shows my order as 290 when in fact it's only 145. It doesn't seem to allow me to remove items, only add them...so maybe Dennis can straighten it out.

-Tim

whitiecasper82

Ok, just signed up for the group buy.

72# total

36 XR-E RB

36 XP-G

Is the meanwell driver GB going to happen? I ran a search on the Group Buy website but didn't find anything.

This is for a 125 Gal reef tank, 72"x24"x17". I'll be building three heatsink units with 24 LEDs apiece. Any input on optics?

Thanks!

sorry if i missed it but are we really at the last tier, i didnt see anyone wanting 290 leds, crazy

is there any chance i could add an extra optic for and xr-e and are there wider optics for the xp-g available yet?

Whitiecasper,

The group buy site is to help organize buyers (easy way to use paypal and get everyone's shipping info more than for quantity's).

To my knowledge the first post is the list of who is getting what. The mean well group buy is happening in this thread (check the updated title of this thread). Just post what you want and Dennis will update the first post when he gets an opportunity. No doubt he is getting quite busy with this so it may take a little time.

Post what you want here and it should be added to that list.

In terms of optics on a 24" deep tank 60 degree seems to be the most common, check out the comprehensive led build thread to compare with other builds and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Hope that helps,

-Ian

whitiecasper82

The short answer is yes, you can run 6 LEDs if they are the ones being ordered here.

The longer, but more in detail answer is you need to know the forward voltage of the LEDs you a placing in series (one after the other). The forward voltage depends on the current you are driving them with too. For discussion sake take the XR-E or XP-G being discussed in the thread. The forward voltage for the XR-E at 1A is 3.7V. So if you run them at 1 Amp you will have a 3.7V drop.

You can look at the data sheets for the LED you are using and determine what the voltage drop will be at a certain Amperage. The meanwell drivers here are rated for 48V so you can have 12.97 LEDs at 1A a piece. I don't plan on running mine at 1A so that means I can fit 13 on one driver.

If you only want to have 6 LEDs there are cheaper options out there than an ELN-60-48. You could use buckpucks or possibly a smaller meanwell like the ELN-30-24. It produces the same current but it only rated for 24V, so 6 LEDs is perfect for it. Hope this helps.

Hey Deep,

I just wanted to make sure you got my request for two (2) ELN-60-48-D

Also, would you be able to modify my order to be 12 80 degree and 12 60 degree XR-E optics instead of the current 24 60 degree?

Thank you so much,

-Ian

yep gotcha down for the revised order and the meanwells

Ok here goes....

I'm in for:

13 meanwell ELN-60-48D

25 XR-E cool white

75 XR-E royal blue

45 XP-G cool white

44 XP-G 40 deg optics

30 XR-E 40 deg optics

60 XR-E 60 deg optics

Oof da!

-Tim

got you down (you know he's a sugar daddy :P ) lol

Ok, take note that the gotogroupbuy.com LED tally is now incorrect...I got an error message while committing to buy, so I "clicked again" and it submitted my order twice. So now it shows my order as 290 when in fact it's only 145. It doesn't seem to allow me to remove items, only add them...so maybe Dennis can straighten it out.

-Tim

i'll get with the group buy people and straighten it out. it happened to one other person too

Ok,

We'll go with

36# XR-E RB

36# XP-G

6# ELN-60-48"D"

Thanks!!

got you down

sorry if i missed it but are we really at the last tier, i didnt see anyone wanting 290 leds, crazy

is there any chance i could add an extra optic for and xr-e and are there wider optics for the xp-g available yet?

just let me know what you want to change

sorry, only 40's and 30's for the xp-g's

Whitiecasper,

The group buy site is sort of a bust (for example I could not sign up on the groupbuy site since I am in canada amongst other issues).

To my knowledge the first post is the list of who is getting what. The mean well group buy is happening in this thread (check the updated title of this thread). Just post what you want and Dennis will update the first post when he gets an opportunity. No doubt he is getting quite busy with this so it may take a little time.

Post what you want here and it should be added to that list.

In terms of optics on a 24" deep tank 60 degree seems to be the most common, check out the comprehensive led build thread to compare with other builds and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Hope that helps,

-Ian

thanks for the comments bud. PM's are really starting to pile up :D but it is all good.

on a 24" tank, depends if you want to keep high light corals at the bottom or clams. you really cant go wrong with both. i personally would go with 40's because you could lways dim it down and if you need more, just turn it up. that or get 2 sets of optics, that way you can see what you like better

the canada thing was my fault! i was lazy at first when i set it up. i will change it soon. but it really does work now.

Also is there anywhere to buy or any DIY on the dimmers for the meanwells and am I correct you can run 6 leds off 1 driver? thanks

check the meanwell thread for the dimmers to the "P" and "D" versions

whitiecasper gave you a great answer

short answer 6-13 leds on the eln60-48 ;)

here is a quick secondary update. there are about 165 other LEDs in "interested " on the groupbuy site. please if you haven't done so, sign up on there too. i will fix the shipping error for international orders and also the shipping for flat rate and the quantity errors for the others. i want to see if we get a large enough order if we can get another price break. but that won't happen unless we hit a 1000. if this project goes through, i'm in for another 200 LEDS and crap more meanwells!

Archived