Cultivated Reef

Chiller plumbing in JBJ NC24

SPARTAN VI

Wanted to ping you guys on whether or not I'm doing this correctly, or if there's room for improvement. I have an Arctic 1/20HP chiller hooked up about 2-3 feet below my DT. It's powered by a MJ-1200 in the 2nd chamber, and returns water to the 3rd chamber. I chose the second chamber because that's where JBJ decided to put the cut-outs in the canopy. 3rd chamber also has a MJ-1200 which is currently my only means of flow.

Is there a better way?

What if I were to consolidate the entire system to one MJ-1200, then add a couple koralia 1s or 2s in the display to help the make up for the loss of flow? I ask because the MJ-1200 in the 2nd chamber is awfully noisy at times, perhaps due to it or the U-joins vibrating against the tank's wall.

Here's a terrible drawing, but I think you guys get the idea.

filter.jpg

what else do you have for flow in the tank. When I hooked mine up I just used the single run pump to pull water through the back chambers - out to the chiller - then returned to the main tank. You could do it with two pumps if you don't have much else flow in the main display. A note on your filtration - you are running to much to cause nitrate traps. My suggestions: remove the sponge in chamber 1 just use the floss on top. remove the rock rubbly - this really traps gunk in there. There is no reason to run floss in chamber 3 - this is redundant.

I also used the JBJ chiller hook up kit which elsed install.

what else do you have for flow in the tank.

Currently, it's only the MJ-1200 from chamber 3 that blasting water around. Looking into a K-1 or K2 to setup on the other side. I don't have many corals, so flow hasn't really been a priority. At this point, I'm looking to increase it to blast away dead spots in the LR.

When I hooked mine up I just used the single run pump to pull water through the back chambers - out to the chiller - then returned to the main tank. You could do it with two pumps if you don't have much else flow in the main display. A note on your filtration - you are running to much to cause nitrate traps. My suggestions: remove the sponge in chamber 1 just use the floss on top. remove the rock rubbly - this really traps gunk in there. There is no reason to run floss in chamber 3 - this is redundant.

I also used the JBJ chiller hook up kit which elsed install.

So I should replace the sponge with filter floss and get into the routine of changing that out every week or so as well? What about the rubble? If I remove this, I don't have enough tubing for the second MJ1200 to reach the bottom. Fill this up with floss as well? Carbon? Thank you!

I use filter floss on chamber 3 for two reasons:

First, the tubing that's used to return water from the chiller hovers over the water surface, therefore as the water falls into the chamber, I hear a trickling sound, which annoys me. The floss absorbs this water as it falls and totally eliminates this noise. I could extend the tubing so it doesn't have to do this, of course, but I'd have to buy and cut more tubes.

Second, since the water is breaking the surface, it introduces more aeration, which means bubbles. I hate bubbles! So, the floss traps them.

Currently, it's only the MJ-1200 from chamber 3 that blasting water around. Looking into a K-1 or K2 to setup on the other side. I don't have many corals, so flow hasn't really been a priority. At this point, I'm looking to increase it to blast away dead spots in the LR.

If this is the case then use the two MJ cause you'll get about 1/2 the flow rate from one when your run it through the tubing

So I should replace the sponge with filter floss and get into the routine of changing that out every week or so as well? What about the rubble? If I remove this, I don't have enough tubing for the second MJ1200 to reach the bottom. Fill this up with floss as well? Carbon? Thank you!

Ditch the sponge and ruble all together. You can but from bottom to top in chapber one: carbon (both if you want) phos pad, and lightly pack floss on top. You can leave chamber 2 empty but your pump, and it dosn't have to go to the bottom.

I use filter floss on chamber 3 for two reasons:

First, the tubing that's used to return water from the chiller hovers over the water surface, therefore as the water falls into the chamber, I hear a trickling sound, which annoys me. The floss absorbs this water as it falls and totally eliminates this noise. I could extend the tubing so it doesn't have to do this, of course, but I'd have to buy and cut more tubes.

Second, since the water is breaking the surface, it introduces more aeration, which means bubbles. I hate bubbles! So, the floss traps them.

Makes sense.

Archived