Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry about your shrimp :( I would never do something like that to my peppermint shrimp.

lol you said youll wait a few weeks and yet you already have a monti in there? and you didnt start it on the sand? I say put it on the sand for a week or so, then move it up slow, that LED fixture might bleach it .

also in the vid, it looks like the monti go tossed off the rock and into the sand next to the intake...i may be wrong though lol

sorry about your shrimp :( I would never do something like that to my peppermint shrimp.

lol you said youll wait a few weeks and yet you already have a monti in there? and you didnt start it on the sand? I say put it on the sand for a week or so, then move it up slow, that LED fixture might bleach it .

also in the vid, it looks like the monti go tossed off the rock and into the sand next to the intake...i may be wrong though lol

Yeah the shrimp thing was a mistake. I guess I figured that since the snails were all cruising around ok that the shrimp would do fine moved over to the pico. Strange part is that my water tested out perfect after the shrimp died. So I'm really at a loss as to what killed it. But... lesson learned.

I put the monticap in there because I was able to break it off of a piece of live rock in my Solana. The Solana is getting completely torn down on Tuesday so I decided to find what corals I could that were still on the live rock and put them in the pico just to see how they do. And yeah, in the video it was on the sand near the filter intake. I just didn't notice it at the time. It's now on the sand in the front of the tank. :)

Yeah the shrimp thing was a mistake. I guess I figured that since the snails were all cruising around ok that the shrimp would do fine moved over to the pico. Strange part is that my water tested out perfect after the shrimp died. So I'm really at a loss as to what killed it. But... lesson learned.

I put the monticap in there because I was able to break it off of a piece of live rock in my Solana. The Solana is getting completely torn down on Tuesday so I decided to find what corals I could that were still on the live rock and put them in the pico just to see how they do. And yeah, in the video it was on the sand near the filter intake. I just didn't notice it at the time. It's now on the sand in the front of the tank. :)

The only thing you could do is put one rock over in the top right area to make a higher area for sps. Otherwise it looks great.

That is pretty weird about the shrimp. Did you acclimate him when you moved it over? Maybe the params were different enough that it shocked him. Especially weird since your monti cap is alive and kicking.

good move putting him on the sand :)

what kind of snails do you have in here? and how many? anything else?

will you sell all the corals from the solana that cant fit into this tank?

The only thing you could do is put one rock over in the top right area to make a higher area for sps. Otherwise it looks great.

That is pretty weird about the shrimp. Did you acclimate him when you moved it over? Maybe the params were different enough that it shocked him. Especially weird since your monti cap is alive and kicking.

I see what you mean. I just don't have a rock that would work like that.

I did acclimate the shrimp. I guess these things just happen sometimes, though.

good move putting him on the sand :)

what kind of snails do you have in here? and how many? anything else?

will you sell all the corals from the solana that cant fit into this tank?

I have maybe 10-20 dwarf cerith's and a couple of nassarius snails. I've already sold all of the corals and livestock out of my Solana. My clowns were the only thing that was left and I just sold them today. They're going into a 180g tank! Talk about a nice new place!

Just made an order on PremiumAquatics for:

-1 Nano-mag glass cleaner

-1 stick of Aquastik putty

-Coral ReVive

and some Ocean Nutrition nano reef coral food and nano reef fish food.

I'm not taking any chances when I eventually put more corals in this thing. Everything will be dipped before being added to the pico!

This pico has barely been setup 24hrs and I'm already liking it more than my Solana. I mean, sure, I miss my clowns and all the room the Solana had. But I'm really excited about this little tank!

I know what you mean about smaller tanks. I feel like you get to know the tank better when its really small cause theres not much to look at :P . Plus they arent a huge pain to maintain like larger tanks can be.

I just ordered some revive as well. I have been using lugols but that stuff does not kill anything.

I know what you mean about smaller tanks. I feel like you get to know the tank better when its really small cause theres not much to look at :P . Plus they arent a huge pain to maintain like larger tanks can be.

I just ordered some revive as well. I have been using lugols but that stuff does not kill anything.

Yeah, I've been dreaming about doing a 40B for two years now. But honestly, this little pico is so exciting to me. Maybe because it's more of a challenge?

... you are making it harder and harder to say no to getting a pico for my bedroom.

Do you have any other tanks setup? If not, I say do it. I doubt you'll regret it.

1 freshwater 25 which I am maintaining until all my fish croak, saltwater bug got me good. Plus a 20 gallon xtall... Both are in my living room and I want something for my bedroom.

love dwarf ceriths they are so prolific lol (I seriously need to get some out of my pico, no more room for them in my 10 gal either, thats already packed with them to the rim >_<)

Have you ever tried an emerald crab? I say if you get one now you may be able to avoid getting some of the more annoying algae blooms. but keep him fed with dried seaweed sheets if he has no algae in the tank to eat. I feed mine 3 time a week. just something to think about.

Picos are cool but for a first tank I would go bigger because once the bug bites you you'll want to upgrade, then youll have to buy everything again. I had a 40 gal, a 10 gal, and a 7 gal before I finally got to 5.5 :D

I wish I could find dwarf ceriths locally. Im gonna have to just order them from john. They really are the best for small tanks.

1 freshwater 25 which I am maintaining until all my fish croak, saltwater bug got me good. Plus a 20 gallon xtall... Both are in my living room and I want something for my bedroom.

My pico is in my bedroom. It's a great place for one. My Solana was kind of noisy and that's part of the reason I decided to sell it. But this pico is silent. I say do it if you think you're ready for a challenge!

I think I am going the reverse, I got my 3 gal then my 10 gal...then maybe something like a 100gal in the far future xD

but when i move into an apartment I will be sure to get two fluval edge tank (theyre my new favorite tank). i'd get one for SW and one for FW.

Have you ever tried an emerald crab? I say if you get one now you may be able to avoid getting some of the more annoying algae blooms. but keep him fed with dried seaweed sheets if he has no algae in the tank to eat. I feed mine 3 time a week. just something to think about.

I've never had an emerald crab. The only crab I've ever kept is a Porcelain crab. And I really liked it... but the damn thing was hidden half the time. Don't emeralds get kind of big, though?

I would like to maybe have a Pom Pom crab in this pico. I'm just worried that with the aquascape that I have it wouldn't have many places to hide.

I've never had an emerald crab. The only crab I've ever kept is a Porcelain crab. And I really liked it... but the damn thing was hidden half the time. Don't emeralds get kind of big, though?

I would like to maybe have a Pom Pom crab in this pico. I'm just worried that with the aquascape that I have it wouldn't have many places to hide.

I dont know if I would do an emerald in a pico. I had a bad experience with one in my 7 gal and Id never get one again. I feel like if you stay on top of the feedings like newman does youd probably be ok but theres not gonna be alot for it to pick at in a 3 gal so he might get hungry. In my tank he would always pick on my gsp and zoas.

I dont know if I would do an emerald in a pico. I had a bad experience with one in my 7 gal and Id never get one again. I feel like if you stay on top of the feedings like newman does youd probably be ok but theres not gonna be alot for it to pick at in a 3 gal so he might get hungry. In my tank he would always pick on my gsp and zoas.

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna do an emerald. And I'm sure as hell not gonna do any GSP, lol. It looks cool but that stuff is a damn WEED.

I have a couple of emerald crabs in my sump if you want to try one. Once they ate all the bubble algae I got too nervous about having larger crabs in the display so I took them out.

Also, I know you aren't ready for fish yet, but I saw a couple of decent looking clown gobies at Incredipet the day before yesterday, aswell as some green clown gobies.

Also, I know you aren't ready for fish yet, but I saw a couple of decent looking clown gobies at Incredipet the day before yesterday, aswell as some green clown gobies.

Which one, Southland Dr. or Richmond Rd.?

Southland.

Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm still debating about whether to get a YCG or not. They're cool little fish and I want one, but I've tried them twice in my previous tanks and both times they died on me without ever eating anything. :(

And I threw every type of food at them that I could come up with.

Archived