Innovative Marine Aquariums

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do you have an autotop off there??? wat kinda and where cani get on from???? lmk

It will have a Tunze Osmolator on it when I hook it all up. I took it off of my Solana that I'm breaking down. You can find one at most places online. I got mine from PremiumAquatics. A warning though, the Tunze isn't cheap. But it's like the Cadillac of ATO's.

That picotope is going to be hooked up. I was wondering how you feel about the mp10 on the 3 gal. Im about to pull the trigger on one for my 5.5g.

That picotope is going to be hooked up. I was wondering how you feel about the mp10 on the 3 gal. Im about to pull the trigger on one for my 5.5g.

The real test will be when I put sand in it. At the moment I can dial it up to about 25% to get a nice circular flow throughout the entire tank.

The real test will be when I put sand in it. At the moment I can dial it up to about 25% to get a nice circular flow throughout the entire tank.

Im surprised you can crank it that high. Im sure it will destroy your sand though if you keep it that high. I have a 240 k-nano (plus an ac70) so im just looking to have it run 200-300 gph. I feel like I have enough flow but its not random enough for sps. I will be looking forward to your updates, hopefully we can get some video of the tank with some sand in it. :P

I will be looking forward to your updates, hopefully we can get some video of the tank with some sand in it. :P

My ecoxotic PAR38 will be here tomorrow. So after work I'm going to go to Home Depot and try to find a lamp that will work with it. I just need something simple that will allow me to physically point the lamp downward. Hopefully that won't be too hard to find. And if I'm not working on Sunday I should be able to sell my 2 Ocellaris clowns out of my Solana. I'm going to miss them but obviously I can't put them in the pico. But after they're gone I'll be able to put some live rock, sand and water from my Solana into the pico and it will be ready to go! I'll definitely take a video once the pico is up and running for real. B)

My ecoxotic PAR38 will be here tomorrow. So after work I'm going to go to Home Depot and try to find a lamp that will work with it. I just need something simple that will allow me to physically point the lamp downward. Hopefully that won't be too hard to find. And if I'm not working on Sunday I should be able to sell my 2 Ocellaris clowns out of my Solana. I'm going to miss them but obviously I can't put them in the pico. But after they're gone I'll be able to put some live rock, sand and water from my Solana into the pico and it will be ready to go! I'll definitely take a video once the pico is up and running for real. B)

Nice. How quick do you think your gonna start adding livestock? Probably wont cycle much with live rock and sand from your tank. As far as lamps go I would make sure it has a ceramic piece where you screw in the bulb instead of plastic. I have heard that running a hot fixture in the plastic ones will cause it to melt and cause a fire hazard.

Can't sleep... so I decided to go ahead and hook up the Tunze (ATO). At the moment the tank is just running with tap water. But as soon as I get my Solana ready to break down for good I'll empty the pico and put tank water from the Solana in it. I've already hit one problem with the Tunze. There are two different ways that you can configure the two sensors. One way is to have both the optical sensor and the back-up float switch on one magnet. This way saves space. And space is critical with such a small tank. The other way to set it up is to have the optical sensor on one magnet and then the float switch on another magnet. That way you can fine tune where you want the water level to be and where the back-up float switch will set off the alarm. At the moment I have it hooked up via the first way. But I don't think that it's going to work. I have the magnet so that the back-up float switch will sound the alarm if water reaches the very top of the tank. Only problem is that the optical sensor is a little too far down leaving the water level in the tank lower than I would like. So I may have to go with option two to setup this ATO because I really would like the water level to be right at the bottom of the return area of the Aquaclear. So that's the current dilemma. I don't know if any of that makes sense. But hey, if pico's were easy everybody would be doing them!

Here are a few pics. I have this pico on my desktop. In one picture you can see where I mounted the Vortech controller, Tunze water level controller and eventually where I will mount the ReefKeeper Lite head unit. You can also see the hose that comes from the fresh water reservoir. It's right next to the back-up float switch. Also, I removed the stock light since I won't be using it anymore.

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Is there such a thing as too much equipment? :lol:

Nice. How quick do you think your gonna start adding livestock? Probably wont cycle much with live rock and sand from your tank. As far as lamps go I would make sure it has a ceramic piece where you screw in the bulb instead of plastic. I have heard that running a hot fixture in the plastic ones will cause it to melt and cause a fire hazard.

I'll add my cleaner shrimp right away once I get the live rock (which I'm probably going to have to take a hammer to, all I have are large pieces) and everything transferred over. I don't know if anyone has kept a cleaner shrimp in such a small tank before. I guess it's ok... I'd rather that annoying peppermint shrimp I had be the test subject. But to my surprise somebody actually paid me $5 for him last week!

I'm pretty excited about this PAR38 thing. I'm really curious to see how bright it is. Noted about the lamp.

PAR38 has arrived! This thing is too cool! I went out and found a cheap lamp to use with it. It may not work long term but at least I have something to try it out with. Here are a few photos:

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Looking good. I really like the lamp you found . . . just be careful about knocking it or you might run into some trouble :lol: . BTW thanks to your sweet vortech in a picotope I bit the bullet and bought a vortech for my 5.5g. :P

Looking good. I really like the lamp you found . . . just be careful about knocking it or you might run into some trouble :lol: . BTW thanks to your sweet vortech in a picotope I bit the bullet and bought a vortech for my 5.5g. :P

I'm not so sure about the lamp. It doesn't want to stay up high and keeps slowly falling down. So I may have to look for another solution. I don't want to come home one day to the PAR38 in the tank!

I hope you like the Vortech in your pico. It's a neat little device.

I'm not so sure about the lamp. It doesn't want to stay up high and keeps slowly falling down. So I may have to look for another solution. I don't want to come home one day to the PAR38 in the tank!

I hope you like the Vortech in your pico. It's a neat little device.

Ah man that sucks it cant hold the weight of the par 38 its a pretty slick looking lamp. You could try getting one of those floor lamps that has a bendy neck.

Ah man that sucks it cant hold the weight of the par 38 its a pretty slick looking lamp. You could try getting one of those floor lamps that has a bendy neck.

It's holding for now. But i'm still a little nervous about it. I'm going to look and see if I can find anything better.

Here's a short video of the PAR38 in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjQGB7N5-lA&hd=1

Why dont you use some 3M double sided tape to hold it down? I dont know if it would ruin the desk though.

It's the arm of the lamp that isn't sturdy enough. I've tightened the knob all the way and the arm still moves when it shouldn't. But I may be able to rig it somehow.

Man LEDs are so sick. That fixture fits perfectly over the 3 gal. Im definitely going led on my next tank!

They are pretty sweet.

but you havent even put the corals under the light yet??

It's just tap water running in the tank at the moment. I'll siphon out that water on Sunday and then fill up the tank with saltwater in preparation for adding live rock, sand, etc.

i Found this thread suck butt because you down grade your Solana 34 gallon for a 3 gallon? HAHA JK Bro..

Nice tank. I miss mine. It was the first tank i ever had and was the best thing i ever bought.. i hope Medred is still not mad at you.

Here is my old 3g pico tank 3 years ago before i upgraded to my Solana. (hope you don't mine i post it here). :)

IMG_0266.jpg

Archived