Top Shelf Aquatics

47 Column Mixed Reef

aaron1987

is that a setosa in the frony? the tanks lookin good hope it makes a full recovery. :)

It sure is. I love it, nice pop front and center!

I can't leave that hideous last picture as the last thing up so I snapped a pic real quick of how it's looking now:

DSC_0181.jpg

I'll set up a tripod and take some real pictures later this week.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe a Par 38 with really wide optics? That way there is less of a spotlight effect. A nice acro colony in the middle would look awesome.

I like this idea. I could put my purple monster in it along with the setosa or something to provide contrast. That would make for a rather attractive display...

Thanks for the compliments animalmaster! It's still a work in progress. I'm getting set to place a pretty big order so there should be some cool new stuff for the tank within the next few weeks.

animalmaster6
I like this idea. I could put my purple monster in it along with the setosa or something to provide contrast. That would make for a rather attractive display...

Thanks for the compliments animalmaster! It's still a work in progress. I'm getting set to place a pretty big order so there should be some cool new stuff for the tank within the next few weeks.

Can't Wait!

Hey a fellow Iowan. Very nice tank! Looks good even after the move. How are things on the other side of the state?

I'm only half way to the other side of the state but icy as all get out. Freezing rain all last night so I'm skipping all my classes today to celebrate/stay safe/drink. I haven't really decided which reason to go with yet :happy: .

It does give me some time to think about what to order next, though. What say you, Nano-reef: solar fairy wrasse or a McCosker's? Cool LPS (large blasto colony/chalice/scoly/favia) or more SPS (A. Caroliniana/Hawkins Echinata), perhaps a yuma? Give me ideas!

animalmaster6
I'm only half way to the other side of the state but icy as all get out. Freezing rain all last night so I'm skipping all my classes today to celebrate/stay safe/drink. I haven't really decided which reason to go with yet :happy: .

It does give me some time to think about what to order next, though. What say you, Nano-reef: solar fairy wrasse or a McCosker's? Cool LPS (large blasto colony/chalice/scoly/favia) or more SPS (A. Caroliniana/Hawkins Echinata), perhaps a yuma? Give me ideas!

fish- A Leopard Wrasse or Mckoskers!

corals- more S{S and mushrooms!

I can't believe anyone actually likes this tank. I've seen noobs do a better job with their first pico. :huh: Columns look stupid... so hard to light and... reefs are typically fairly flat right? Why would you want something extremely vertical??

I'm trying to make myself feel better.... I found myself standing in PetSmart the other day standing and daydreaming over a 47 col that was right by the door and thinking to myself " I could never make it look quite as awsome as Aaron's." Great tank! Keep it up!

fish- A Leopard Wrasse or Mckoskers!

corals- more S{S and mushrooms!

I don't think I've got the sand bed for a Leopard, unfortunately. Way cool fish, though. I've lost two McCosker's before, I'm not really sure why. They do well in my tank for a few months and then end up dead out of nowhere. Makes me a little leery to try one again. I might, though, third time's the charm...

The only mushroom I'll put in my tank is R. Yuma at this point, everything else grows too fast to control!

I'm trying to make myself feel better.... I found myself standing in PetSmart the other day standing and daydreaming over a 47 col that was right by the door and thinking to myself " I could never make it look quite as awsome as Aaron's." Great tank! Keep it up!

Believe me, I used to stare at pictures of people's tanks and say the same thing :P . I'm still not close to on level with some of them but the only way you get there is by taking the plunge! Finding the right rocks to aquascape with is 90% of the battle. Heck, I'm just running an HOB skimmer and a media reactor, most people have far more advanced setups than I do.

animalmaster6
I don't think I've got the sand bed for a Leopard, unfortunately. Way cool fish, though. I've lost two McCosker's before, I'm not really sure why. They do well in my tank for a few months and then end up dead out of nowhere. Makes me a little leery to try one again. I might, though, third time's the charm...

The only mushroom I'll put in my tank is R. Yuma at this point, everything else grows too fast to control!

Believe me, I used to stare at pictures of people's tanks and say the same thing :P . I'm still not close to on level with some of them but the only way you get there is by taking the plunge! Finding the right rocks to aquascape with is 90% of the battle. Heck, I'm just running an HOB skimmer and a media reactor, most people have far more advanced setups than I do.

Yuma are awesome! U are probably right about not having the sandbed for a Leopard Wrasse. I say go for the flasher!

Played around a bit today and took a few pics. I think I might be starting to get the hang of my D40 (finally)! My three favorites:

Cherry Bombs, Armageddons, and Setosa

DSC_0187.jpg

Tyree War Coral

DSC_0191.jpg

Run of the mill R. Florida

DSC_0180.jpg

Thanks guys! I don't have a true macro lens so I have to get by with an 18-55mm for these kind of shots. I'd love to pick up a macro but that means I have to pass on a lot of cool stuff for the aquarium...

Made a couple purchases tonight in the Diver's Den. I was looking for a show piece or two and I think these fit the bill. I definitely am going to need to do some rearranging now..

This was just too cool to pass up

_cfimg3665276347169633061.jpg

Quite possibly the most striking red/green blasto I've ever seen :)

_cfimg3359118806165217697.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
AquaticIllusions

can you give me a quick run down of the equipment your using on this tank I'm build the same tank and using yours as inspiration? What lighting are you running that your are keeping the sps's so low in the tank?

Lighting is an Outer Orbit 250w Halide with four T5's. I'm running a Warner Marine HX2 skimmer and BRS single chamber media reactor. Flow is handled by a vortech MP20 and a Koralia K1. That's it :).

• 3 weeks later...

Wow great tank, looks just like the real reef pillars I've seen while diving.

Here's a toast:

1 beer to your tank

1 beer to you for building/maintaining/etc...

1 beer to your girlfriend for encouraging you

1 beer because I like even numbers.

Thanks for the compliments guys (and beers lasongo)! Sadly my econometrics and financing decisions courses are kicking my ass this week so all the juicy pictures are going to have to wait till early next week.

I do have some sad news, I found my beloved blue spotted jawfish dried out on the carpet last night. RIP little guy. He managed to find a 1/2x1/2" gap by my skimmer; so it goes. Keep your tanks (completely) covered people!

Archived