Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Cube that holds 14 gallons.

Bio-Reef

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefnewbie5

Bro your tank is awesome. This summer vacation, I want to set up a Biocube 14 too, and I know I'll be using your tank as inspiration. As for your lighting, does it caue a lot of evaporation(it would help if you can give me a rough estimate of the amount), and would you say the 20k bulb is sufficient for sps corals?

Once again, I'll be watching this thread closely cuz i have no doubt that this will turn out to be a pristine tank.

oh yea how much flow do u have in that tank?

And do u think the hydor koralia nano is sufficient for ur sps?

Thanks man! For evap. it's about 1 cup a day. Yes, 20k is good for SPS and I think that 1 koralia nano could do the trick!

Wow this is almost the exact same setup/equipment I have been leaning towards (right down to the fuge & underwater light) , and I was questioning 150W FNI fixture or 70W. I wanted to get the 150W for better growth but had some concerns. Is this too much light for the tank? Will it melt anything? What kind of mounting kit did you use to fix the FNI on there? is it just a single bracket in the back?

Planning on getting the bare Biocube 14 from nanotuners instead of buying the full tank with the hood since I'm planning on the FNI pendant anyways.

Do you have a link to the Taam Rio moonlight? I googled and didn't see any results.

What kind of temps is your tank sitting at? This was my main concern as I was planning on putting it in my office which is already ~72-74F from the computer equipment (I love my 30" monitors lol). I'm concerned the heat will be an even bigger problem than the evap. Where did you position the fan to cool the tank? Just across the surface of the water?

How much are you topping off on average every day?

I've heard the FNI MH looks warmer than most other rated 20KK bulbs. I'm new to MH: Can you dim the fixture from the ballast?

Sorry for the string of questions, I'm feeling rather scatter-brained

well I use a 70w sunpod on my 12 gal. and have to run a extra fan on the tank blowing towards the top of the water. Also I have t add a cup or two of water a day sometimes twice depending. As far a fuge goes I actually took out the back filter compartments and did a HOB Fuge/ Protien skimmer.

DimePieceReef

Your reef is awesome! I heart you clam! Maybe one day Ill get the balls to get one. My tank is only about 6 weeks old so maybe by summer I ll go with the clam. Keep it up! Ill be following along as well!

Long overdue photos!

I mean seriously, if you want to see my tank messed up, here you go...

Maxima Clam

DSC01708.jpg

Birdsnest died of RTN, but idk, it's turning a colorful purple again. Any thoughts?

DSC01699.jpg

This guy loves his picture taken!

DSC01701.jpg

Bleached maze brain. It is recovering and IS showing more and more color everyday!

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

Perfect place where to put a monti cap!

DSC01716.jpg

Only one polyp was open on the GSP.

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

A little off-topic. Got these guys at the plant and cactus sale.

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

Had this guy for 1 year.

DSC01737.jpg

Well, that's it!

I have been thinking lately about upgrading this tank to a custom 35 gallon tank made DIY.

I like the biocube but I need something bigger. It's a great tank for beginners!

Your corals seam to be bleaching pretty bad you may want to put them in a bit of shade or reduce the amount of light that 150w is too much for that little tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on if my birdsnest all whited out but now it is a purple color? Any thoughts?

Kinda looks like coralline algae! :P

Probably, there is so much calcium on the coral skeleton.

Bio,

I've still been following your thread to see how this light is turning out. How close do you have it to the water? I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one, but I need to figure out a way to hang it above the tank (and not from the ceiling).

Did your coral bleach due to the intensity of the light? Was it to close to the water? Any updates would be great.

Bio,

I've still been following your thread to see how this light is turning out. How close do you have it to the water? I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one, but I need to figure out a way to hang it above the tank (and not from the ceiling).

Did your coral bleach due to the intensity of the light? Was it to close to the water? Any updates would be great.

Well the light did bleach out some corals but they recovered. I'm probably going to hang the light higher soon.

Archived