Pod Your Reef

biorb=jellyfish tank?

Siren's eye

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and in the boy scouts. In the back of Boy's Life magazine there was always an add for seahorses that came with all the equipment you needed. I never got any because my dad wouldn't let me. He had kept freshwater angels and our neighbor had a primitive saltwater tank (primitive in that there was no LR, and it was trimmed with STEEL), so he was realistic in his assessment that it was a bad idea.

It's a shame something so apparently awesome is such a bad idea, like hookers.

wow! thanks. I expected a go check out this website....full reply rocks...

q's...

would an air grid work? or would the bubbles catch and make them float...I was also thinking multiple air lifts, so I can dial it easier....save on some plumbing and craftsmanship ...always good in my book

if so, can I just do the tank outside? (assume temp, will be fine, protected from rain etc...) I am cheap when it comes to lighting, but I may just have to do it anyway....outside seems right to me when they are outside too...white background....big sump in shade....

any jellies that don't care about light? what about combs? They seem to clear to use light, but I am just guessing.

baby brine is easy enough to feed, I was worried about smaller foods. good, smaller zooplankton collecting is more work. Just to be lazy about it though...does it need to be live food? What about a suspended food?

I work at Jellyfish Art and wanted to answer some of the questions on this thread:

The Mod:

We modify the bubble tube, add glass pebbles and remove some of the gravel in order to modify the BiOrb so it has the proper water flow for jellies. To make things simple, we also include some accessories like a heater, thermometer, dropper, etc.

The Maintenance:

Jellyfish are easy to maintain IF you have the right equipment. They have a much lower metabolism than fish so they do not put a high strain on the filtration equipment. They stand up well to high ammonia levels and a wide salinity range. However they are sensitive to specific hazards like air bubbles and coarse substrate. That is why it is important to have a tank specifically designed for jellyfish.

The Jellyfish:

We use tropical moon jellyfish that like water at 77 degrees, although there are other sub-species of moon jellies that like cold water. We used to offer a species called Catostylus mosaicus (similar to Mastigias papua), but they were too difficult to maintain and had a short lifespan. Comb jellies are very difficult to keep, although they are beautiful.

If anyone has any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them on this thread... There is also a Knowledge Bast section on our website that has a lot of articles and videos on jellyfish care and biology: http://www.jellyfishart.com/kb_results.asp?Redirected=Y

I work at Jellyfish Art and wanted to answer some of the questions on this thread:

The Mod:

We modify the bubble tube, add glass pebbles and remove some of the gravel in order to modify the BiOrb so it has the proper water flow for jellies. To make things simple, we also include some accessories like a heater, thermometer, dropper, etc.

The Maintenance:

Jellyfish are easy to maintain IF you have the right equipment. They have a much lower metabolism than fish so they do not put a high strain on the filtration equipment. They stand up well to high ammonia levels and a wide salinity range. However they are sensitive to specific hazards like air bubbles and coarse substrate. That is why it is important to have a tank specifically designed for jellyfish.

The Jellyfish:

We use tropical moon jellyfish that like water at 77 degrees, although there are other sub-species of moon jellies that like cold water. We used to offer a species called Catostylus mosaicus (similar to Mastigias papua), but they were too difficult to maintain and had a short lifespan. Comb jellies are very difficult to keep, although they are beautiful.

If anyone has any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them on this thread... There is also a Knowledge Bast section on our website that has a lot of articles and videos on jellyfish care and biology: http://www.jellyfishart.com/kb_results.asp?Redirected=Y

welcome to NR!

is light an issue with jellies you carry?

what species of moon jelly do you prefer?

what species of combs are harder? What makes them harder?

do you like playing 20 questions? :)

The Mod:

The Maintenance:

The Jellyfish:

im also interested in this idea since it seems like a cheap but easy way to keep them..but i noticed that the tank comes with a halogen bulb. don't they need higher light?

this!

+1....(insert popcorn smiley here). :)

+ if you use a modified biorb for jellies, which stay small enough to keep in there?

was reading their site...seems like they don't carry photosynthetic, (dont take my word though) so that makes things easier I think, feeding is easy....(lot of info there by the way, thanks for the link!)..i was thinking floating foods in that size would help reduce waste....

they use an air pump, so if you did one with an air lift...? as long as the bubbles are sprayed out on to the top....? is it possible to use a mechanical filter? what about a square tank?

Thanks for all the interest. I like the idea of a contest giveaway for the Nano-reef.com community, I'll see if we can get one going. We still have some modifications we're playing with on the Desktop Jellyfish Tank, like programmable colored LEDs, but it would be great to get feedback and have some of you try out the tanks.

Regarding some of the new questions and comments:

The Moon Jellies are not photosynthetic (Mastigias are) so you can use just about any kind of lighting on them. As I mentioned above, we are experimenting with colored lights because the white tissue of the jellies is like a blank slate: it will pick up and glow with whatever color of light is shown upon them. We have a video of this at http://www.jellyfishart.com/kb_results.asp?ID=24.

The jellies will grow (and even shrink) according to how much food they get. So you can grow them to be as large as you want (up to 18" in diameter) or keep them at 2 inches in the desktop tank by moderating their food intake. Floating foods don't work because the jellyfish can only feed on particles that are suspended in the water column.

The desktop tank uses an air lift pump, but that is only possible because the bubbles are contained in a tube. If bubbles get trapped underneath jellyfish they can cause embolisms and ultimately death. The only jellyfish that do well in a regular box tank are upside down jellies because they sit on the bottom. However, you can modify a box tank to hold jellyfish. There are very good instructions to do it with mostly craigslist-bought materials in this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Jellyfish-A...1363&sr=8-1.

I'll be checking on the thread so feel free to post any other questions.

Just realized I forgot to address the question about comb jellies:

They are difficult to keep in an aquarium because they are very fragile and do not hold up well to confined spaces. We once tried keeping a comb jelly in standing water in a bucket and within a few hours it had literally disintegrated. There may be some species out there that are more resilient, but we haven't heard of any. Furthermore, it is very difficult to breed or capture comb jellies so they don't have much commercial potential.

Thank you orchid!!!!! :) :)

i had meant held in suspension foods really, they probably wouldn't know what kind of food it is anyway, so as long as it hits them good enough to feed? (I want to feed Golden Pearls micron diet is why I ask....I am lazy with frozen, like to keep people food in the freezer, etc...)

Shame about the comb jellies.

I like the color on the moon jellies idea you are running with, will probably look cool in some night club or bar.

orchid, have you considered starting a tank thread? would be better exposure of this part of the hobby that you are involved in than contest i think.

Hmmm this makes me want to get some of the moon jellies I see up at my cabin, they are millions of them but alas my tank isn't really set-up for them.

Orchid,

I'm glad to see you decided to join the site and tell us about your products and jellyfish in general. It definitely makes people more willing to buy when they see someone involved with the company posting on the forums. It's also good to see people trying new and innovative things in the hobby.

I hope someone tries one of these tanks and sees how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
Once someone reputable on here tries it out, I'm sure others will be happy to make a purchase :D

I hope I'm somewhat reputable, and I've tried all the jellies discussed here. (Except comb jellies, which can't be cultured--yet)... :)

My opinions are still the same as that which I posted above. I'm not trying to sell any jellies or jelly tanks, so my opinion may be a bit more pessimistic than some. If anyone believes these are easy, they're in for a surprise. Like I said, try it in a larger dedicated tank first.

I hope I'm somewhat reputable, and I've tried all the jellies discussed here. (Except comb jellies, which can't be cultured--yet)... :)

My opinions are still the same as that which I posted above. I'm not trying to sell any jellies or jelly tanks, so my opinion may be a bit more pessimistic than some. If anyone believes these are easy, they're in for a surprise. Like I said, try it in a larger dedicated tank first.

what we want is someone reputable to say what we want to hear wombat. when you get on that ball let me know.

;)

by the way they sell a biube type aquarium at wal-mart - $30....

• 2 weeks later...

thanks wombat! i guess the reason there is no jelly tank threads is because the updates would be boring:

1. setup tank.

2. added jellies.

3. one went to the left, now he is going to the the right, etc...

i still think they are cool. I added it to the Amazon wish list, it is currently a 6 month plan on the book. :) I got a lot of stuff on that site I want...have you ever checked out field guides? Love those picture books...

thanks wombat! i guess the reason there is no jelly tank threads is because the updates would be boring:

1. setup tank.

2. added jellies.

3. one went to the left, now he is going to the the right, etc...

i still think they are cool. I added it to the Amazon wish list, it is currently a 6 month plan on the book. :) I got a lot of stuff on that site I want...have you ever checked out field guides? Love those picture books...

Unless the Topic read: MY JELLIES ATE MY LITTLE SISTERS PET HAMPSTER!!!!

Maybe we could make this happen.

or maybe not.

Need to know your thoughts.

No I agree....

:mellow:

post-50278-1265113272_thumb.jpg

Archived