Pod Your Reef

12 Loooong

pmemmer

I noticed you have some ridiculous coralline growth going on, are you dosing something or did that just come natural

Also could we get more pictures around the tank, and how its setup? I'm playing around with ideas of a 12 long on the computer desk, but not sure how I want to lay that out.

Also this may be a little extreme, but how is the flow with the return and drain on one end, and the mp10 on the other? If you drop a little piece of paper on one end, how long does it take to get to the drain?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great looking tank man, those coral really took off! I just picked up the same tank. I plan on plumbing in a sump into mine along with two locline powerheads plumbed into it on opposing sides. Hopefully turns out nicely. How often do you do a W/C? Are there any shortfalls besides the hassle of scraping the back glass?

I generally do a WC (10-20%, depending on my mood) weekly, at worst every 2 weeks. The biggest problem with the tank is the skinniness... it makes it hard to scrape, especially the back (since it's hard to get to), but also the sides and anywhere the rock gets too close.

I noticed you have some ridiculous coralline growth going on, are you dosing something or did that just come natural

Totally natural. I'm doing a little dosing now, to keep my alk up, but that's new in the past two days.

Also could we get more pictures around the tank, and how its setup? I'm playing around with ideas of a 12 long on the computer desk, but not sure how I want to lay that out.

Yes, hopefully tonight... the tank has had corals for one year, so I want to take some commemorative shots B)

Also this may be a little extreme, but how is the flow with the return and drain on one end, and the mp10 on the other? If you drop a little piece of paper on one end, how long does it take to get to the drain?

I'll have to try this. My suspicion is that it will fly around the tank for quite a while, since there is flow from the SubCurrent as well as the MP10... there's a lot of flow in the tank.

Finally, more pictures! This tank has had corals for a year. It's a bittersweet occasion, because while the first 9 months were dreamy, the start of this year was rough. I got an RO/DI system. "Great!" you say. But no. I live out in the sticks, and have both very hard well water and low water pressure... bad combination. In less than two months, the canisters in the system were completely exhausted. I was basically putting ground water into the tank for a good month before I connected the dots and realized the problem was my water.

In the meantime, though, I lost several frags: the bird's nest, the copper pocillopora, and two colonies of zoas. The rest of the zoas in the tank have not yet recovered, but they're still hanging on, so I'm hopeful that they'll recover... I've switched back to distilled water, and have changed out a good 85% of the water in the tank over the past two weeks. Things already seem happier. The funny thing is that while my SPS and zoas were getting grumpier and grumpier, my LPS frags seemed to love the bad water... they grew like crazy during the same period that everything else started sagging. That's part of the reason it took me so long to realize I had a problem.

Enough blabbing... time for pichers!

First, the duncans. Started out with 3 heads, and now there are 8:

Next, the lithophyllon... this cool little guy also has grown like crazy lately:

My green pocillopora... this is maybe my biggest success story in the tank. Not only has it stayed alive through my water problem, it asexually reproduced all over the tank. Notice the little green spots on the rock beneath the mother colony. They are *everywhere* in the tank. At first I started seeing the spots and thought I had some kind of nasty hitchhiker... then they grew, and turned the proper color. Pretty nifty.

One of my two super-cool hitchhikers: hidden cup coral. What started as a white skeleton first turned into a living single head, and is now two gigantic heads:

More...

My other super-cool hitchhiker, a mysterious scallop/bivalve/whatever of some sort. He's grown enough that I can get a reasonably good picture now:

Torch... started with 2 heads, now have 4, doing very nicely:

And last but not least, a new FTS:

What's next? Well, I'm going to add some corals again. My terrific LFS has some neon yellow candy cane frags that I've been eyeing for a while, and now that I know I have my water problem licked, I'm going to add some. I also want to get a new bird's nest, and some new zoas. We'll see what else I see that I like. Sadly, my favorite online dealer apparently now only sells to retailers, so I can't order from them anymore... I'll be watching the livestock forum for bargains :D

• 2 weeks later...

A couple new critters, and a couple nice shots of long-standing inhabitants:

Maxi-Mini:

Lithophyllon with his tentacles out:

Hidden Cup Coral close-up, with tentacles out:

A couple other improvements... the frags on the sand bed of the FTS above have finally been mounted. But there are new zoa frags on the sand bed and on my little frag rack, so it still is a bit of a mess (hence the lack of a FTS). A week or so, maybe...

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm way too depressed to post a new FTS. The tank crashed, and only three of the corals in the picture above are still alive (the duncans, the ric, and one frag of zoas).

I was on my way out of town for a month-long trip to Scotland, and as I was about to leave, I saw a clump of bubble algae. I turned off the pumps, removed it, and went on my merry way... but forgot to turn one of the two pumps back on. My wife got home two days later to opaque water and lots of dead things... she did her best to do water changes, but it was too late.

The worst thing is that I just added several pieces in April, and the tank was looking terrific... I was getting great growth, and everything was very happy. One little mistake, and poof.

At this point, the tank is cleaned up, and water parameters are healthy again... so I can re-start whenever I have the heart...

Been doing this stuff for 43 yrs. Ive had lots of crashes. Just make it nice again. Hard part is over.

Sorry to hear pnem...I love this tank.

I am sure you can get her back to her original glory and then some.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, getting back on the horse... added several new zoa frags, a royal gramma, and these two beauties from sealifeinc.net:

These aren't my first gorgs... I've kept muricea elongata successfully for almost 2 years in my other tank. Just the thing to make me want to look at this tank again :P

I also got a sweet green turbinaria colony, but it might be too big for this tank... right now it's in my other tank, and seems to be doing well there, so we'll see.

Archived