inTank Media Baskets

12 Loooong

pmemmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick non-photo update... the codium is pretty much gone... apparently the problem is temperature (the codium likes it under 80, and my tank gets up to around 83-84 on hot days, which we've had an unusual number of lately). So that's a small bummer. Maybe I'll try again in September or October, if I can find more at that point.

Otherwise, though, things are growing like crazy. The most exciting development might be my hitchhiker hidden cup coral, which has sprouted a second head (I thought it was a dead skeleton when it arrived on the rock). My torch frag also has a new head (its third). And the birdsnest and montipora are both growing well. I'll be adding a couple new SPS frags between now and August. Probably a green slimer and a monti cap, and then who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Birthday (almost) to Me...

(left to right, back to front: zoas, monti, pocillopora, monti, more zoas, lithophyllon, favid (freebie!), still shy duncans)

and an acro too.

Thanks to Zach at Lucid Propagations! He rocks. Can't wait to place these guys in the tank properly...

Happy Birthday (almost) to Me...

(left to right, back to front: zoas, monti, pocillopora, monti, more zoas, lithophyllon, favid (freebie!), still shy duncans)

and an acro too.

Thanks to Zach at Lucid Propagations! He rocks. Can't wait to place these guys in the tank properly...

Sweet action! your build is motivation! I was in a shop the other day and this kid tried to push this same tank at me... How is that acro going to respond to the 2X36? thats the only thing that holds me back from doing a strictly sps mr aqua 12 long.

I wish I had the nerve to try that, under the sea... I'd probably just burn the house down, though.

I think the light will be fine for the acro (fingers crossed). When I move it to its final spot, it'll be less than 7 inches from the lights, so that ought to be close enough.

I'm pretty psyched about this order... I've seen polyp extension on both the lithophyllon and the favid, which I was sure would take longer... and the pocillopora was so terrific it came out of the shipping container with half its polyps out. Bravo to Lucid Prop!

• 3 weeks later...

Some new pics... FTS first:

Bird's Nest growing like mad...

New Duncans doing nicely, next to their Hidden Cup Coral neighbor:

(more coming...)

YCG chillin' in the Torch light:

A couple small sad bits to report: one of the two new monti frags failed dismally... never showed any polyps, and started to go white last week. So that was a loss. And I'm not sure about the acro, either. But everything else seems to be doing fine, and growing like crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple new frags... scored a great deal from a guy in town breaking down his tank... first, a blue echinopora lamellosa:

And now it seems that I'm out of photo space... grr. More later.

OK, that's better... second new frag, a green pocillopora:

A couple of dramas lately... a big bristleworm got my limpet (both are now gone). And the acropora isn't doing so well, I think... it's starting to turn pale, and I haven't seen polyps for a week or so. Everything else is going well, though... lots of growth.

FTS:

I think the plan at this point is to let it grow out for a while, without adding anything new. We'll see how I do with that... you know, given that the original plan was to start adding frags in June or August :lol:

• 2 months later...

Haven't posted in a while... swamped with work, etc. But the tank is doing well... corals are growing in nicely. The YCG croaked (not sure what went wrong there... he never stopped eating, and there never seemed to be any friction between him and the other inhabitants, but he just started looking worn and thin, and then I found him glued to the side of the MP10 one morning). Otherwise, though, things are going pretty well. New FTS:

Still not planning to add any new corals at all... I do want to get an emerald crab, though (how exciting), and perhaps a second fish to replace the YCG... we'll see about that.

Still not planning to add any new corals at all... I do want to get an emerald crab, though (how exciting), and perhaps a second fish to replace the YCG... we'll see about that.

Sorry to hear about the clown. I love my emerald crab. Lots of personality and it's a cool addition IMO.

Your tank is definitely still one of my favorites here. Lots of inspiration glad to see the update.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The light's great, working fine. I did switch to two ATI Blue+ bulbs... I like the color better.

I'm having some unrelated trouble with this tank, though... I got an RODI system, and something with it wasn't working properly. I think I have it sorted out now, though (fingers crossed!), so hopefully things will perk up soon. In the meantime, though, I've lost several nice frags from the zoas and sps groups (the LPS is all thriving, thank goodness).

• 2 weeks later...
igotreefermadness

Great looking tank man, those coral really took off! I just picked up the same tank. I plan on plumbing in a sump into mine along with two locline powerheads plumbed into it on opposing sides. Hopefully turns out nicely. How often do you do a W/C? Are there any shortfalls besides the hassle of scraping the back glass?

Archived