Cultivated Reef

12 Loooong

pmemmer

Crackerballer

Looks good. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep mine. If I do, I think I cam going to light it with 3 Par38s on a nice track light set.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

A few new arrivals...

Green Torch (opted for this instead of a heliofungia, since it's rumored to be a bit easier, and I've had good luck with my frogspawn in my other tank):

Voodoo Zoas:

Birdsnest (first SPS!):

FTS 4-24-10 (apologies for the weird angle):

Other things... well, the birdsnest is doing well, but the other SPS piece I ordered at the same time (a montipora digitata) seems to have been overly taxed in shipping, and has been getting steadily worse since it arrived on Tuesday. It looks like it's definitely on the way out. If it does turn into a loss, I think I'll stick the skeleton in my softies tank, and let my briareum grow over it... it'd make for a great shape with lots of good movement, at least.

Mr. Microscope

Wow! I just read through your whole thread. Awesome! I've always wanted to do a 20 long. Now I'm thinking 12 is the way to go. I love the shallow long look. It's nice that you have your wife's support on it. My wife hates my hobby. So, I'm forced to do it in my office at work. :angry:

I know you're planning to do SPS. Just a warning, I've been reading up on clown gobies lately and saw that they like to nip at acro polyps.

I can't wait to see the progress on this one. Good luck. I'll be following.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm planning to avoid acros for the meantime anyway. We'll see how successful I am with the birdsnest and a monti cap before I try to get fancier.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update... the montipora digitata that I thought was croaking seems to be doing a bit better... new growth seems to be spreading over the dead portion of the skeleton. so I'm hopeful. The new bird's nest already is showing lots of little white growth points, which is a good sign as well.

Do it!

I'm amazed at how fast things are growing in here... I'm sure it's the light, which is way stronger than my other tank. One of my zoa frags seems to gain a new head or two every day, and the bird's nest is really sprouting. I'm pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suppose if you ripped all the filter media out of the SubCurrent, you might be able to fit a small heater in there. I'm actually using the SubCurrent for filtration, though, so that won't work for me (I'm running chemipure and floss).

Haven't updated for a few weeks, but need to get some pics soon... tank's doing well. The bird's nest and zoas are growing nicely, and the montipora I thought was dying has now come back to life (though it's nowhere near the color the seller advertised... but perhaps that'll change someday...). Planning to add some more frags in a few weeks...

Added some codium (thanks, John @ Reef Cleaners), and glued down a bunch of frags that were cluttering things up before... pictures tonight or tomorrow!

Sweet tank! I love how easy lighting is with tanks like this. No need for fancy t5 fixtures with like a million bulbs to light it. It also looks a lot bigger!

Yeah, the simplicity of the lighting is nice, but at the same time, I wish there was a switch that would turn off the daylight bulb... with this 2-bulb fixture, the lights are either just on or off. It has a natural light, but sometimes it's fun to see things glowing under the actinics. Wish there was an easy solution...

This tank is awesome!

I love the dimensions. How bad is the evaporation with such a small volume-to-surface area ratio? I'm really considering going with the Mr. Aqua 12L and that's the only real worry. Also, how does the MP10 do with flow on the opposing end of the tank?

Look forward to more updates!

Thanks,

D

I'm not having problems with evaporation yet. I manually top off every day, usually in the morning and evening. But I purchased a JBJ ATO and have never gotten around to installing it. I should say I live in upstate NY, so temps here are pretty reasonable mostly (on the heat side of things, at least).

One thing worth noting is that with my 2x39w T5 set up, the tank can get warmer than I'd like. But part of the culprit is my hood, which keeps warmth trapped over the tank. It's something I'm going to have to watch this summer, on hotter days.

For flow: I think the MP10 would do fine all on its own, but I like the combination I have with the MP10 and SubCurrent (great flow, and I can also run chemipure and floss). I only have the MP10 up about halfway, typically... much more than that, and the substrate starts moving around on me...

Your tank is about 36" long. I have a 30 long thats 36"x12"16". Do you think that MP10 would work on my tank?

I have an MP10 with battery backup on a 30 inch long, 12 inch wide and 11 inches tall tank and the mp10 does a great job. Aside from my return line the MP10 takes care of the entire water movement. Have it on reef crescent mode to about 75% power. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the responses! I've decided on this size tank. I think the swimming room will be ideal for two small clowns.

I really like your stand / canopy as well. It's too bad the tank isn't viewable from two sides. I think that would have been all sorts of rad!

I am also going with 2x39W T5's. Any bulb concerns or recommendations? I've been out of the hobby for quite a long time and only really know anything about PC and MH lighting.

Thanks again for your responses and I look forward to more updates on this tank!

I am also going with 2x39W T5's. Any bulb concerns or recommendations? I've been out of the hobby for quite a long time and only really know anything about PC and MH lighting.

I'm using an ATI Blue Plus and ATI Aqua Blue Special, IIRC. I sometimes wish the color was a little more dramatic, but overall I like the look... and it's certainly enough light for most things.

Thanks pmemmer.

I read that your subcurrent filter is relatively loud. I'm considering running the Remora Nano skimmer with a modded surface skimming box but the cheaper subcurrent is tempting. How effective is it?

That question is really just a way to get you back to the computer with new pictures of the tank :D

Now that the US is out of the world cup I need something else to keep me excited.

Hope all is well,

D

I read that your subcurrent filter is relatively loud. I'm considering running the Remora Nano skimmer with a modded surface skimming box but the cheaper subcurrent is tempting. How effective is it?

That question is really just a way to get you back to the computer with new pictures of the tank :D

I wouldn't run this set-up if it was right by your bed. The MP10 is not a quiet powerhead... it's louder than the SubCurrent, generally. The SubCurrent can occasionally get loud (and spit out a ton of bubbles) if the water level gets too low. I had this problem more when I launched the tank, but haven't had it for a month or so at least now... whether that's because the SC filter is more "seasoned" or because I'm better at topping off is anybody's guess.

Nothing new picture wise, sadly. Unfortunately, the new codium macroalgae I added is not doing well... it's losing little chunks every day, and looking droopy. Not sure if it's being predated, or if something else is going on. Parameters are typical, so it's not water quality... might just be rotten luck. Otherwise, though, the tank is doing well.

Archived