Coral Vue Hydros

Octopus and Jellies on the divers den!

Nanobuds

I followed this thread with a few laughs and giggles but it brings up a valid question while we have the attention of some actual smart people; what hobby accessible livestock is endangered due to collecting habits? Is it worth boycotting them?

Endangered? Probably none. Certain species are vulnerable, threatened, or no one really knows enough about populations to really say for certain. Banggai cardinals, Rhinopias scorpionfish, and Wunderpus octopuses are all pretty good examples of animals that aquarists should probably think long and hard about before deciding to buy one from the wild.

http://www.ssn.org/Meetings/cop/cop14/Fact...inalfish_EN.pdf

In general reef fishes are at much greater threat from habitat loss from human encroachment.

Thank you for the reply and the information you provided. I still feel the need to choose the slippery side that limits the distribution of exotic marine animals. I am however greatful that the impact on the numbers is not crucial at this time.

I am dating myself, but I remember the days when you could go to Catalina Island and see the masses of breeding Leparod sharks from the shore. I know the hobby did not wipe them out, but I hope you see my point in that our impact in the last 20 years is so unfortunate.

And how do you feel about the restriction on collection of certain types of sharks? Actually any restriction on collection.

You are the fortunate son, I choose Nursing over Marine biology because everyone said I would never make any money. I would much rather be cleaning protein skimmers at one of nicest Aquariums in the world. Thank you again.

Well it's true we don't make much money at all but the perks are nice. B)

There are plenty of sharks that don't belong in people's fish tanks. Nurses, zebras, and black tips to name a few. Nowadays a person can go online and know that these sharks get 10 or 14 feet long or need incredible amounts of space to do well in a matter of seconds. I'd hope that the hobby will self regulate as people point out and shun folks who keep and sell these animals. Do I think "there oughta be a law?" No, I don't, but that's just my personal opinion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

liveaquaria is probably one of the best mainstream online stores there is. there are lots of people who do research the animals they keep. should they all suffer cause some idiots dont? people who dont research the animals they keep should not be in the hobby. im glad that guy's father left SW. and yes, the people who do sell these animals to people without telling them the risks are scum. i hate how mandarins are treated like goldfish and sold to every noob on a wide scale. as long as people are researching and asking questions then one day a mandarin will be as keepable as a goldfish. this hobby advances fast. although i agree that currently most mandarins should only be kept in mature tanks with 100 lbs of live rock and a stable pop of pods.

I find it funny how some talk about cruelty to animals when there are little kids out there starving. Have you ever thought that because we lost say even a 1000 octipuses, that the fishermen catching them were able to make a living in the third world countries and feed their kids. I would rather kill the 1000 fish than have their kids without food. Just my opinion.

My 2 cents~

Octopuses are frequently found in crab and lobster traps in FL. These animals are considered a nuisance and are usually destroyed/used as bait. There are a few guys ( that I know of) who will get these animals from the trappers and sell them to hobbiests. These are animals would be destroyed if not for the hobby industry. I completely agree there are many collected using unscrupulous means or mishandled. I would not purchase one unless I knew where and how it was collected. My O. briareus is from FL, it was found in a trap, it was missing one arm severed at the webbing. (many are damaged unfortunately) I am happy to report it's arm has grown appx. 3 inches since I have received him. Aside from the rare and dangerously venemous species, I see nothing wrong or inhumane with aquarists keeping them. That is of course when they are educated on their spcific needs. As with all hobbies, there will always be losses due to ignorance.

Their lives are short but I treasure every day I can spend interacting with mine.

Tonmo.com is an excellent source for anyone seeking information on keeping cephalopods.

Ollie my O briareus

Ollie1206.jpg

I do agree there are too many people in the world but that does not mean it is ok to put poor people out of business to protect wildlife.

i agree... us humans are destroying the world. wildlife is more important imo

nice octo btw!!

I do agree there are too many people in the world but that does not mean it is ok to put poor people out of business to protect wildlife.

so it's okay for corporations to force small rural people to overfish their local waters to provide us with rare fish to the point that their reefs die and the corporations move on and leave them with nothing and eventual starvation because they did not employ manageable fishing practices?

also, just throwing this out there, you know octopi are commonly eaten in large portions... i mean, id rather just throw my serving in a tank and keep it alive for a couple months instead of boiling it and enjoying a not so great 30 seconds of flavor. imo..

also, just throwing this out there, you know octopi are commonly eaten in large portions... i mean, id rather just throw my serving in a tank and keep it alive for a couple months instead of boiling it and enjoying a not so great 30 seconds of flavor. imo..

I'd disagree good octopus is damn delicious.

Archived