ReefCleaners.org

Evan's NC6 Project

evanj

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diatom bloom in the sand today. I'm liking the NR online maintenance log, it will be nice once I have more data in there so I can look at my parameters and how they change.

Nitrate is at 10ppm, I need to get a way to test for ammonia.. right?

Diatom bloom in the sand today. I'm liking the NR online maintenance log, it will be nice once I have more data in there so I can look at my parameters and how they change.

Nitrate is at 10ppm, I need to get a way to test for ammonia.. right?

Dude nice looking setup so far! I wish I had cool schtuff on my rocks.. but i dont :tears:

Dude nice looking setup so far! I wish I had cool schtuff on my rocks.. but i dont :tears:

Thanks, with the good comes the bad though <_< I got a lot of aiptasia along with all of the "cool" looking stuff. I can't wait to get a CUC in there and watch 'em feast on the algae and asst other crap.

Aiptasia infestation:

PB210009-1.JPG

Middle chamber media (basket) deal. I've been reading through some of StevieT's thread builds on media baskets and remembered I had some egg crate laying around from a stalled terrarium/dart frog tank.

I cut one layer:

PB210023.JPG

And zip tied some handles to it:

PB210035.JPG

Should raise it off the ground though - to force water through the media, second chamber actually starts a little ways up. I don't have any media in there yet (thinking chemi-pure.) Right now i'm soaking it in some extra saltwater to leech anything out, if that's even an issue? :blink:

I have some extra plexi glass laying around, however the top of the chamber has a sizable lip for the back of the tank and would make it difficult/impossible to fit a snug fitting box into the chamber. A friend suggested a squat pvc tube for a base, still at the "drawing board" though.

Ideas welcome :)

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure I saw someone else do exactly what I've done here in an NC6, just don't know who to credit. :unsure:

your cuc needs help....they are there to keep it from becoming like that

So, you were serious about the toothbrush deal? Should I just scrub the rock in a bucket of tank water after my next water change?

yup......i know, its a PIA, but hit the problem areas good,...make sure your usin RO/DI for your mix and get yourself some chempure (GFO), or phos remover.

take a good look at the algea too when you break down and do this, does it look like a mini fern or is it stringy?

yup......i know, its a PIA, but hit the problem areas good,...make sure your usin RO/DI for your mix and get yourself some chempure (GFO), or phos remover.

take a good look at the algea too when you break down and do this, does it look like a mini fern or is it stringy?

I'm using premix from a reputable LFS. Two gallons a week at $1.00 each is worth it.

What does the difference between the two algae types mean?

one is easier to keep in check,

turbo snails will usually eat the stringy stuff....

almost nothing eats the fern stuff, (bryopsis)

one is easier to keep in check,

turbo snails will usually eat the stringy stuff....

almost nothing eats the fern stuff, (bryopsis)

nice bit of knowledge

What is block climber a reference to?

So I've had a little evaporation, not much, but the water line is below the bottom of the black rim. I went to Wal*Mart and bought one of their one gallon jugs for their culligan water. I then brought that to my LFS for some RO water.

When I pour the water in, should I pour it into one of the back chambers? Will it mix well enough on its own or should I remove some water, mix, pour back in? Am I over thinking this? :wacko:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This brings me to another question - the culligan machine at Wal*Mart says it's local water that is strained for sediment, ran through carbon, RO and then there's UV sterilization on the output. Can I use this water? People have said don't use grocery store water machines.

So I've had a little evaporation, not much, but the water line is below the bottom of the black rim. I went to Wal*Mart and bought one of their one gallon jugs for their culligan water. I then brought that to my LFS for some RO water.

When I pour the water in, should I pour it into one of the back chambers? Will it mix well enough on its own or should I remove some water, mix, pour back in? Am I over thinking this? :wacko:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This brings me to another question - the culligan machine at Wal*Mart says it's local water that is strained for sediment, ran through carbon, RO and then there's UV sterilization on the output. Can I use this water? People have said don't use grocery store water machines.

dude i pour my top off in the back chambers...no idea why that would be bad

dude i pour my top off in the back chambers...no idea why that would be bad

I was just thinking that the sudden change in salinaty my have a negative effect. I guess it wouldn't be all that drastic of a change, unless I was topping off a lot all at once.

I was just thinking that the sudden change in salinaty my have a negative effect. I guess it wouldn't be all that drastic of a change, unless I was topping off a lot all at once.

but when saltwater evaporates, it leaves behind the salt...

but when saltwater evaporates, it leaves behind the salt...

..which if I understand correctly increases your salinaty slowly. So, if I were to add fresh water (RO) to the system, it would change the paramaters in a short period of time. Probably not a big deal, just was curios as to how people do it. I'll just have to add it to the back chamber.

climbing the "block"...buildings in neighborhoods....mainly to write my name there....

I guess I can relate, I'm a rock climber. I've seen people do what's called buildering (?) - climbing buildings - looks pretty cool.

nanotuners sells ready to go 18watt retros for less than 20 bucks....easy way to bump up the light....

ive seen these tanks w/ as many as 3-4 18watt retros......

nanotuners sells ready to go 18watt retros for less than 20 bucks....easy way to bump up the light....

ive seen these tanks w/ as many as 3-4 18watt retros......

I know, there's even a 13w retro kit - only like $18.00 B) The rest of the complete kits, with everything you need seem to be closer to $100.00.

I'm still short one fan ...I don't even have a stock system... :mellow: I think I'm going to leave the lighting stock for now, except for some moonlighting i'm going to leave on 24/7. anyone ever order from Ocean Pro? http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/moonl...ons-p-1983.html

My highest priorities right now are:

• Replacement hinge
  • Hydor flow rotator
  • Two fans from nanotuners
  • R2 moonlight system
  • timer for lights
  • chemi-pure elite

Do you think the stock lighting will be good enough for some zoas?

Archived