Innovative Marine Aquariums

Evan's NC6 Project

evanj

Just got a JBJ 6 gallon nano tank from a friend for helping him move his large reef tank. :happy:

This is what it came with:

• foam filtration media
  • elbow tubing for pump
  • peice of tubing
  • two nice size chunks of LR
  • water

I'm new to the whole SW thing and have been reading articles (this site is great!) for the last two days.

So far I have:

• filled bottom of tank with ~ 5lb. bag of aragonite sand
  • poured in water that friends LR came in
  • mixed and poured in the packet of bio magnet that came with sand :unsure:
  • installed Hydor Pico Evolution Mini Pump 800
  • placed foam in back left compartment
  • have been running lights ~ 10 hours a day

Pictures are on their way and I should have some updates soon, but I just wanted some feedback.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:welcome:

Pictures!

You really should aim to keep the water around 78 or 79 degrees, so the lack of a fan shouldn't be a problem. Not sure if that will change during the heat of the summer.

Deleted User 6

+1 - I would go get a heater for the tank and set it to 77/78. I use a Stealth.

Also, do some searches for JBJ 6g mods. I'm sure there are tons out there that are useful.

I'll have to find a good 50w to throw in the compartment with the pump.

As promised, here are some pictures.

PB170004.JPG

PB170006.JPG

PB170007.JPG

Here's the hood, I know the fans are missing, but if anything else looks out of place or is missing, let me know.

PB170008.JPG

PB170009.JPG

PB170014.JPG

This came on the rock, what exactly is it? (keep in mind I'm a complete noob)

PB170019.JPG

A quick bit of research showed that red-legged hermit crabs should help, I'll have to add them to the list of cleanup crew. Anyone know how effective crabs really are at getting rid of Aiptasia?

I have a peppermint shrimp that eats the hell out of it. I'm not sure about crabs. I have an emerald and a porcelain crab and they don't touch it...

Crabs won't eat it, peppermint shrimp might but the easiest solution would be Joe's Juice or AiptasiaX (I like them both).

I want to add sexy shrimp, can I add both the peppermint and sexys? How safe are those additives, I don't even like to add stuff to my 46g FW let alone a little 6g tank.

If you want to stay away from chemicals you can use lemon juice or boiling water in a syringe on the Aptasia. Just inject it into the stalk. As for sexy shrimp/peppermint shrimp, I have 4 sexies and a pepp in my BC 14 and they just ignore each other. Even when I feed, they do not get snippy. Most people think sexies are really fragile cause they are so small, but they are anything but! Mine will pick on anything to get thier way!

those are some hairy rocks your buddy gave you.

Tank was set up 11/14 with pretty much everything already established.

I plan on getting a clean up crew in there this weekend. I bought live sand and got the live rock with water, which would lead me to believe I'm ready to add some crabs & snails - or - does it need to cycle for longer before I add hermits and snails, I'm not trying to rush anything - I just want to get some stuff in there to mow down the unsightly algae...

If you want to stay away from chemicals you can use lemon juice or boiling water in a syringe on the Aptasia. Just inject it into the stalk. As for sexy shrimp/peppermint shrimp, I have 4 sexies and a pepp in my BC 14 and they just ignore each other. Even when I feed, they do not get snippy. Most people think sexies are really fragile cause they are so small, but they are anything but! Mine will pick on anything to get thier way!

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll go with the peppermint and a couple sexies. Additionally, I've heard/read that Aptasia isn't anything to get too worried about. If the articles about red legged hermits are correct then I will have those working for me too.

Well my Aiptasia farm new nano tank is doing well. Just a quick status update with photos:

For my FW tank I cut my own filter media, because it's cheaper, however I always end up with scraps

PB170001.JPG

My center chamber in the back of the cube was only half full with LR chunks, so I threw some scraps on top of it and the water is crystal clear now! Should I keep doing this or should I fill that chamber the rest of the way with LR?

I was also digging through my collection of aquarium gear....... and found an old 50w Visi-Therm submersible !score!

PB17d0004.JPG

The heater has also been added to the same chamber that my return pump is in, there's an inch or so of clearance between them - is that enough?

PB170d013.JPG

welp, that's all I got for today :D

YOUR TANK LOOKS BETTER THAN MINE AND MINE IS ALMOST 2MONTHS OLD

but you said it was already established so ......

The LR that I put in the display portion and the back chamber are already established, the sand wasn't... I don't know if this means a shorter cycle period or what...? Sand is live sand:

PB170002-1.JPG

How submerged is it in the water? It'll cause some issues if it's not submerged, and the return portion runs lower than the rest.

Good point, it's sitting just below the rim of the return pump's chamber, with the adjustment dial just out of the water. I'll try and push it down a little, so there's no chance it will run dry - even if I get a little evaporation.

Looking good so far. I have a couple of suggestions...

Unless you wash out the black foam at least once week, you should get rid of it. It doesn't do much anyway. the white filter stuff is ok, but make sure that it is changed regularly.

I wouldn't start adding any livestock yet, even a cuc. Don't rush it. Only bad things happen fast. Give the tank time to cycle.

Crabs wont eat the aiptasia. A peppermint might, but IME, peppermints that eat aiptasia will also it a lot of corals. I got a peppermint to get rid of an aiptasia problem once, and although i never saw aiptasia again, I never saw my yellow star polyps or clove polyps again either.

Looking good so far. I have a couple of suggestions...

Unless you wash out the black foam at least once week, you should get rid of it. It doesn't do much anyway. the white filter stuff is ok, but make sure that it is changed regularly.

I wouldn't start adding any livestock yet, even a cuc. Don't rush it. Only bad things happen fast. Give the tank time to cycle.

Crabs wont eat the aiptasia. A peppermint might, but IME, peppermints that eat aiptasia will also it a lot of corals. I got a peppermint to get rid of an aiptasia problem once, and although i never saw aiptasia again, I never saw my yellow star polyps or clove polyps again either.

Thanks herranton,

Should I put anything in that empty first chamber if I ditch the black foam, more LR maybe?

I have plenty of white filter media scraps, so swapping them out weekly will work. (I knew I was keeping those for a reason) :blink: another filter question, should I have some sort of activated carbon in there, I really don't see an easy way to do it...

Got it, no live stock for a while - I had heard that I may not have a cycle period because of what I started with.

:eek: ....maybe i'll have to try some of the other tricks people mentioned for aiptasia.

Made some changes to the rear chambers. Ditched the black foam and moved the heater to where the foam was.

PB180007.JPG

Went out and bought a water jug and premixed saltwater. I plan on dropping in the small fountain pump I got from a garage sale to ensure the water is well mixed before doing a water change.

PB180013.JPG

Saltwater was $0.99 a gallon, I figure with a two gallon water change per week, I'll spend $108 a year. Haven't done the math on the salt and buying RO water to mix, but it can't be much cheaper to mix it myself ...the convenience alone is probably worth it ...should I do the math on the salt?

Future plans:

• Two Nanotuners 2x50mm Cooling Fans (and 6g JBJ fan board that no one sells...)
  • Submersible Marina LED Aquarium Light - Blue
    (unless someone can recommend a more efficient/compact alternative?)
  • Light timer
  • Rotating Water Deflector by Hydor, if it fits
  • DX hinges (fits 6g/12g/24g (2005) - what's the DX, will they fit?
    (I've got one broken hinge, stock)
  • Install emergency pump with airstone in first chamber, pump turns on when power turns off

More updates: I've removed the LR rubble from the back chamber and placed in the tank. The aquascaping looks way better now IMO.

PB200006.JPG

I also started using an online log to track my water parameters, found it here on NR! Love this site. :happydance: Plus now I have something to do while my tank cycles.

Oh, and I also set up my back up air pump for if I lose power, I ran the air stone into the middle chamber.

..the convenience alone is probably worth it ...

I totally agree. I don't think that statement can be said enough on this site.

Setup looks really cool so far too.

I totally agree. I don't think that statement can be said enough on this site.

Setup looks really cool so far too.

Hi Kuma,

I'd like to stick to a two gallon water change per week and premix is the only way it will happen every week.

Thanks, I'm still tweaking but I like what I've got so far. The only downside is the clearance between LR and glass.. just can't get the mag float in between there no matter how I place the rock. <_< will just have to get a scraper.

Good start fellow NC6'er. I would suggest a surface skimmer to clip on that intake. They are made for our tanks and I think its only like 5$ ;) Also a chemi pure elite would be a great addition to one of the chambers.

Good start fellow NC6'er. I would suggest a surface skimmer to clip on that intake. They are made for our tanks and I think its only like 5$ ;) Also a chemi pure elite would be a great addition to one of the chambers.

Added the surface skimmer to the Amazon wish list, high priority. That along with the rotating hydro flo head instead of the duck bill. I should be done with my mods soon.... yeah right. :lol:

I've been seeing a lot of people talk about the chemi pure, and then there's people that are saying - as long as I've got good LR, that's all I'll need. I'm torn on this one.

Look what I found while scrapping one of our old towers laying around! This whole computer probably cost just under $1,000 back in the day ( ~ 10 years ago). Now I'm scrapping it for a fish tank. :huh:

PB200003.JPG

A quick fix, changed it from a three pin plug, to a two pin and we're ready to go!

PB210011.JPG

It's admittedly a little loud, but the tank is in the dog's bedroom/storage room/guest room. Still one fan short of a full hood.

Archived