ReefCleaners.org

30g premium in a 20L?

Darold

There are two packages I am really happy with (both from MarineDepotLive.com.

One is the Premium Tank cleaner crew ($95), the other is a combo tank cleaner and reef cleaner crew ($130). Here are the two crews:

*Tank Cleaner Crew Premium 30 Gallon Tank. This kit includes 1 Red Foot Snail, 7 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 12 Turbo (or Astrea) Snails, 18 Mexican Red-Leg (or 36 Blue-Leg) Hermits, 1 Abalone (or 2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers), 1 Sailfin Algae Blenny.

*Combo Tank & Reef Cleaner Premium 30. This kit includes 1 Red Foot Snail, 7 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 12 Turbo (or Astrea) Snails, 18 Mexican Red-Leg (or 36 Blue-Leg) Hermits, 1 Abalone (or 2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers), 1 Sailfin Algae Blenny, 1 Emerald Mythrax Crab, 1 Sand Sifting Cucumber, 2 Serpent Starfish, , 5 Nassarius Snails.

What are your opinions of these crews in a 20L with a lot of live rock? I will have some type of refugium (10 gallon) that will house even more LR. I will eventually go reef (Sometime this summer). Would the combo crew be able to survice untill then? I won't be able to start up the tank untill mid January, but want to make sure I have a good layout beforehand. Is this too much? Is too much a good/bad thing? If I do get too much and some of the inverts die, how horrible is in terms of the tank health itself? Since it is such a small tank, I want as many inverts as possible because I can only have so many fish (or do the inverts themselves create waste/take up space?)

Any info is appreciated.

Inverts do create waste but usually do more good than harm IMO both packages offer way too many critters. I'd go with 6-10 nassarius snails 10-12 nerite snails, some type of cleaner shrimp (they scavenge well also) if the snails die they are pretty bad for the tank...I always add my cleanup crews slowly if the tank stays too clean you run the risk of starving alot of your snails(personal experience) those packages sound nice when you price them out but It does no good if most of them die. HTH-Yves

Thank you for the advice. I figured they would be ok since I would have roughly 25 gallons of tank (20 + roughly 5 extra). Would it be ok to just donate a few of the extra snails to a local reefer/store? It seems like it would be much easier to just get one of these packages than to purchase everything individually. The only thing that these packages seem to be missing is a cleaner shrimp and an arrow crab.

I advised a contractor at work to get the 30G cleaning crew (from thatfishplace) for his 65g. He did, and they all did great, after some maturing of the tank, he ordered another 30g crew, with good results. As others have said, most of those kits are way too much to fast.

Archived