Pod Your Reef

[ID] various anemones, other things..

Deadlykorean

Try these on for size...

640anemone1.jpg

First anemone, this guy has about quadrupled in size relatively quickly... Looks different than some aiptasia pics I've seen, note the rings on the tentacles? Good/bad?

640anemone2.jpg

Pretty sure this guy is an aiptasia, just wanted to make sure. Also, it looks a lot different than the first anemone, so really want to know what that first one is if this is indeed aiptasia. And it is growing at a less rapid rate (still damned fast though!).

640polyps.jpg

Some nice little boring brown polyps? Just making sure they arn't some kind of anemone. They have grown a tiny bit since I have gotten them, but not much. (The tentacles retract when bothered but the "stalk" does not, as opposed to the other two).

640weirdgreen.jpg

Is this some leftover dead creature? Can't really tell, wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks!

1 and 2 = aiptasias

3 = could be aiptasias as well

4 = I forget the name, but I believe I have seen them before alive. When they are alive they kind of look like candy corals with their feeding tentacles out.

Gil

1 & 2 aiptasia...

3 very interesting... it's not aiptasia, they are hydrozoan, something probably related to jellyfish... try to search for jellyfish lifecycle and you'll probably find your answer :B)

4 it was an hard coral...

I have nr. 3 too, I've like 40 on a 2 by 1 inch part of a rock. They are like 1/5 inch high. R u sure they are related to jellyfish? I thought they were polyps or something... they eat very small Artemia, but seems to just do fine on light alone.

I have nr. 3 too, I've like 40 on a 2 by 1 inch part of a rock. They are like 1/5 inch high. R u sure they are related to jellyfish?

Not 100% but pretty sure... Anyone has Knop's Nanoreef book around there? He talks about them... I'm not at home right now, I'll try to remember to check tonight

I confirm my idea. I'm not sure number 3 is it, but Knop's nanoreef book talks about jellyfish of the genus Nausithoae that have a sessil form that is extremely similiar (there's an image) to number 3. I have something very similiar in my tank and I found once something that looked like a little jellyfish in the tank (more or less 4 mm)

These should be recognizable from colonial yellow polips due to an harder and thinner tube.

Enrico

I'm not at home again :) I'll check. For what I remeber it must be fed. In my tank I use variuos kind of inverts food, sometimes I feed them directly, but rarely... The polyps are there from April (arrived on live rock) and there are a few more than in the beginning (probably, not so sure ;) )

pic is as some said possibly hydrozoans of some kind, sorry caja not yellow polyps. They could also be bryzoans or endoprocts. There is even the possibility of them being lophoporates. The test for being a hydrozoan or other would be to clip off a bit of the tentacles and put them under a scope. Add a bit of acetic acid, and see if you notice any nematocysts firing off. If you do its a hydrozoan if not.. its somthing else

Mr Knop's nanoreef book says the Nausithoae polyps have zooxantellae so they don't strictly need feeding. But they are happy to eat if there's a chance and so they grow faster...

Sounds like a pain, but works like a champ. Get some lemon juice concentrate. Get yourself a needle for example. Fill it with the lemon juice. Now inject the little aptesia and watch them disappear. You have to inject the lemon juice into the base of it. They will almost disappear when you approach, but you'll see a little jelly like knob. Stick it and watch. It really works. Or you can wait for a lifetime if you buy critters that "live" on them.

Good luck!

in pic #3 my guess is they are hydrozoan not actually jellyfish. both have basically the same life cycle but with hydro's spending more time in the polyp stage.

enrico, you probably saw the medusa stage of your hydrozoans

i have some of those on a rock that i have had for about 3 years now. they have slowly multiplied from ~5 to ~20 in a 1" sq area in that time. i had a c. eibili angel that would nible on them, but caused no damage. their tenticles were retracted the whole time he was in there and then returned when i moved the angel.

Archived