SaltCritters.com

New Read Sea Max 130D

jporter

I recently joined the saltwater hobby again by setting up a Red Sea Max 130D. I used to have a successful 100 Gal reef tank while living in California, and since moving to Arizona, missed having a tank. I had a small opening in my home office, and recently set up there. Tank has been running for almost two weeks, and the cycle seems to be going very well. I have 30 lbs of black live sand, 40 lbs of live Totonka rock, and lots of small hermits grazing. After a minimal amount of rock sculpture, I'm satisfied to move forward.

I did lots of research on AIO tanks, and settled on the RSM. I have on order a Stevie T media rack, and TUNZE 9002 skimmer on way. I have already added a Koralia nano jet, Current 1/15 chiller, and UV Sterilizer. Not sure if I need the sterilizer or not, but wanted to make sure any bad bacteria was killed in such a small tank. Water current seems plenty, and can't wait to see signs of coraline. I plan on keeping the fish load to a minimum, most likely a small clown, and a few smaller fish. My wife doesn't want the hassle of feeding all the time while I'm traveling on business. I've attached a couple of pictures, and am welcome to any constructive feedback.

post-48167-1257698987_thumb.jpgpost-48167-1257699002_thumb.jpg

I recently joined the saltwater hobby again by setting up a Red Sea Max 130D. I used to have a successful 100 Gal reef tank while living in California, and since moving to Arizona, missed having a tank. I had a small opening in my home office, and recently set up there. Tank has been running for almost two weeks, and the cycle seems to be going very well. I have 30 lbs of black live sand, 40 lbs of live Totonka rock, and lots of small hermits grazing. After a minimal amount of rock sculpture, I'm satisfied to move forward.

I did lots of research on AIO tanks, and settled on the RSM. I have on order a Stevie T media rack, and TUNZE 9002 skimmer on way. I have already added a Koralia nano jet, Current 1/15 chiller, and UV Sterilizer. Not sure if I need the sterilizer or not, but wanted to make sure any bad bacteria was killed in such a small tank. Water current seems plenty, and can't wait to see signs of coraline. I plan on keeping the fish load to a minimum, most likely a small clown, and a few smaller fish. My wife doesn't want the hassle of feeding all the time while I'm traveling on business. I've attached a couple of pictures, and am welcome to any constructive feedback.

very nice scaping, jporter. wow

Looking good!!!! I would consider a MP20 or upgrading to a K2 instead of a Knano....

Heck, Just read the tank of the month by StevieT..... try to be a copycat, because he is the GOD of the RSM!!!!!!

That is some GREAT looking rock if you ask me

• 1 month later...

OK, bad photography, but wanted to update tank progress. Cycle went well, and the RSM is now pretty stocked with nice corals, and a few fish. Lots of Zoas, SPS, and LPS. I will keep honing my picture skills, and add some better ones later. I installed an MP10, and it keeps the current flowing. My favorite pair is the Yoshi gobie, and his pistol shrimp. The clown is also cool and hosted the hammer coral.

I know I need to clean the tank, so please no comments about the green algae around the bottom.

JP

post-48167-1262285850_thumb.jpg

post-48167-1262285865_thumb.jpg

post-48167-1262285872_thumb.jpg

IME think about choosing a different clown fish.

The maroon clown has been very peaceful so far. He was very small when I bought him, and was tank bred.

If he gets too violent, or starts tank trouble, I'll remove him. I actually had more trouble with a 4 line wrasse that's been removed. The media rack is working out excellent Stevie.

how were you able to add so much in such little time? i started my RSM mid november and just added a CUC like 2 weeks ago.... and i thought my cycle was fast...

• 6 months later...

Archived