Cultivated Reef

105G Custom Shallow Paradise!

JDigital

First off, I probably shouldn't even be starting this thread without at least having the tank already built. The last time I started a thread before the tank was built the project turned into a big failure and abandoned. :angry:

However with this build the costs will be substantially less (tank alone is 3x less than the tank for my aforementioned build).

I will be using my current 30G cube (24x24x12) as my sump tank, since the height of my stand is a mere 29". This will allow me easier access to skimmer, reactors, pumps etc.

The tank with be a custom built 72x24x14, with a left rear corner overflow.

My Aquacontroller will migrate to this new tank to keep everything in check, ATO will be covered by my Tunze unit.

I spent the evening last night rearranging the room to accomodate the extra 4ft of tank.

Quick photo of the base framing, just getting an idea where the tank will end.

IMG_0297.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice are you going to keep the 30 cube right next to the main tank or are you going to move it into the cabinet, as it looks like you are building a frame right next to it?

Nice are you going to keep the 30 cube right next to the main tank or are you going to move it into the cabinet, as it looks like you are building a frame right next to it?

I will be using my current 30G cube as my sump tank,

The framing you see is the 4ft addition to the current stand, so that I can accomodate the new 6 foot tank. 30G will become the sump, generally below the DT in the stand.. ;)

OMG that cube is too nice for a sump...send to me...:P

Your tanks are saweet! can't wait to see this build :D

hahaha... It is nice, but the shallowness of it will work PERFECT for the sump since my stand is gonna be about 29-30" tall... only leaves me about 25" for skimmer, and the skimmers I am looking at are 22". Should allow me to work in the sump rather easily. *fingers crossed* :)

nice what is this gona cost u and what

was the other tank gona cost u

good luck with the build

keep us posted

The original big tank I was gonna do was 190G 5'x3'x20.. Starphire, etc... It was pushing $1600 for the tank alone, which is actually more than 3x the cost of this... plus I wanted to hold off on a tank that large until I'm in my own place and not renting. Tanks that big are not fun to breakdown and move.

Ordered my tank today.. Tweaked the dimensions to 72x24x14.5" with a water line at 12.5". I made the mistake on my 30G of having the water too high... I always seem to splash a bit of water over the rim of the tank... Hopefuly with 2" of glass it will cutdown on the occurance of this. :P

Full tank details: 72x24x14.5", 1/2" Glass, Rimless (or trimless/braceless), Black silicone, 2x1" overflow holes, 3/4" return.

Should be 7-10 days I'm told.

Ordered my tank today.. Tweaked the dimensions to 72x24x14.5" with a water line at 12.5". I made the mistake on my 30G of having the water too high... I always seem to splash a bit of water over the rim of the tank... Hopefuly with 2" of glass it will cutdown on the occurance of this. :P

Full tank details: 72x24x14.5", 1/2" Glass, Rimless (or trimless/braceless), Black silicone, 2x1" overflow holes, 3/4" return.

Should be 7-10 days I'm told.

interesting size, what will you plan on keeping in the shallow tank. Who is making the tank - seems like a good build so far? keep us posted.

interesting size, what will you plan on keeping in the shallow tank. Who is making the tank - seems like a good build so far? keep us posted.

Full Mixed Reef.. SPS dominant with zoas/acans/clams.. Lighting will be 2x250W MH positioned about 10" above the water.. Still debating on which reflectors to go with.

when is the tank coming

Post #10.. ;)

Usually takes between 7-10... so maybe next friday, but i gotta track down some more live rock or order some Reef Saver from BRS...

where you getting tank from?

My LFS, Red Coral Aquarium, is building it for me.

Pretty much finished the addition to my stand. Just making a couple modifications to my light rack.

IMG_0484.jpg

My LFS, Red Coral Aquarium, is building it for me.

Pretty much finished the addition to my stand. Just making a couple modifications to my light rack.

IMG_0484.jpg

Coming along nice!

This is going to be a great build, you'll love the new space lol. Although water changes are going to be a little different now!

Coming along nice!

This is going to be a great build, you'll love the new space lol. Although water changes are going to be a little different now!

I've owned a 75G before this, so the larger changes aren't complete foreign to me. haha Thanks

Brad - heard rumors of a 6ft tank being delivered to my LFS on sunday, not sure if it's mine or not yet.

Archived