inTank Media Baskets

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

I made a trade on Friday. One of my AOGs for a Purple Death. Here's a pic.

PD.jpg

Sorry it's kinda out of focus. All of my images are being taken with an iPhone. So, they are not the highest quality, but it does allow me to catch those candid moments in the tank. I think that I am going to try to start taking pics with my camera soon, especially the FTSs.

I also picked up a lamp to use for my PAR38. Here's a pic of the box. I haven't taken it out yet. I looked at the display and the lamp shade part comes off. I think it will be perfect.

lamp.jpg

Mr. Microscope
cant wait to see the par in action the tank is lookin sweeeet

Thanks jdl! I just got an email from Nanotuners. They are upgrading my shipping so that I can get it faster. It's now the 23rd, ordered on the 7th. Waiting is shear torture!

jdl, I searched for your tank thread, but couldn't find one. Could you give me a link?

Thanks!

i dont have one, there are so many other threads out there, i have been thinking about it though im not too pc savvy.i should have some new pics coming as soon as i can swipe my girls camera for a min. ha thats gonna be fun.

Toby Flenderson

Just ordered my par38 from nano tuners yesterday. They said there was a week or two turn around so I'm glad I found your thread to get a sneak preview! In the mean time I will be lamp shopping, yours look great.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks. I picked it up at Staples for like $40. Not bad.

I can't wait to post the next FTS with it.

Mr. Microscope
This tank is awesome. I especially love the banner. :happy:

Thanks el fab! I owe you some gratitude and credit for it. Your pico how to and tank thread has really inspired me! Thank you!

The banner was a moment of pure inspiration. I figured if I didn't take myself too seriously that the aquarium gods would smile on me.

Sorry to hear about your fish BTW. I can't believe it's still swimming after the chunk that the hawkfish took out of it. Yikes!

I haven't posted a FTS in a while because I've been waiting for my new light, but there have been a few noteworthy updates recently. I think I'll post one soon with or without the light.

Mr. Microscope

New Update 2010.03.03

Here's the latest FTS:

FTS_20100303.jpg

It's a little messy in front with all the frags laying around. Everything except for the birdsnest is going near the bottom when the PAR38 comes in.

As you can see, I decided to raise the water level considerably. It now comes within about an 1/8 inch from the top with the AC70 off. Also, I've increased my weekly water changes from 1.5L to 4L. This has completely annihilated any evidence of cyano or algae sticking around within 2 weeks.

My GSP has been thriving, but hasn't really spread in like a month, so I've decided to frag some of it onto a shell. None of the polyps have come out yet, but I'm hoping it will take soon.

gspfrag.jpg

The toadstool sloughed for the second time and is looking pretty good.

toadstool02.jpg

Also, the birdsnest is branching out further. I can't wait to see how it changes with the PAR38. The polyps are supposed to be purple.

BN.jpg

Finally, the button polyp is a very slow grower which is leading me to think that maybe it's not a button polyp. It finally got big enough to glue to a piece of coral skeleton, but I'm leaving it in the box until it gets a little larger. I still have absolutely no idea where it came from.

bp.jpg

nice!

you know you give me a great idea of fragging things in your pico on those shells! I have a bunch stored in my basement so I'll hopefully use them at some point with my pico :)

Mr. Microscope
nice!

you know you give me a great idea of fragging things in your pico on those shells! I have a bunch stored in my basement so I'll hopefully use them at some point with my pico :)

Awesome! I'm glad you're inspired. I hope they work well for the corals. I'm guessing the smooth surface should help.

Looks great, careful with that 1/8 inch I did the same in mine and when the power goes out well... water goes on the floor... :mellow:

Mr. Microscope
Looks great, careful with that 1/8 inch I did the same in mine and when the power goes out well... water goes on the floor... :mellow:
I think he said that he has that covered ;)

Yup. :)

looking pretty sweet micro. i like that toady.

Thanks! It's been fun to watch. I wonder how long it will take to outgrow the tank?

man i feel like ive been waiting for this par with you, the new pieces are super nice.

Thanks for the support!

I'm driving my friends nuts cause they're like, "what's new with the tank?" And I'm always, "still waiting for the light.." Every time my email rings, I run to check it hoping that it's Nano Tuners saying that they've shipped it. Heck, I'm getting sick of me. ;)

Here we go. Haha

EDIT:

[There used to be a ticker here counting the days I was waiting for my PAR38.]

Total wait: 1 month, 3 weeks, 4 days.

Everything looks great. Just a word of advice here you may want to move the birdnest to the sandbed when the new light comes in and move it back up over time. You will have some tremendous PAR increase and it may bleach the coral out. Just a FYI.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks! I hadn't considered the birdsnest. You're probably right. I figured it was the softies that I had to worry about, but perhaps I should move everything.

I ordered the 80 degree optics, so hopefully nothing will get too hammered with light. I plan to have the source as high as I can get it at first and slowly move it down. I'm also strongly considering getting some screens to use. Though aesthetically, I don't like that idea. But, also aesthetically, I don't like the idea of having a bunch of closed up/bleached corals in my tank either. So, maybe I'll just do it.

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Toby Flenderson

Do you know how high above the water line you are going to put the final height of the LED? I ordered the 40 optic so I guess our heights will be differnt but I thought I'd ask.

Mr. Microscope

I'm not sure how high the lamp will go, but I think maybe 12 inches or more to start out. Then, I'll slowly start to move it down to where I think it looks best. You'll need to be a lot more careful with the 40 degree optics. They put out par ratings about three times that of the 80 degree optics at the same height.

Check out this link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221433

I have, however, seen people put them into track lighting on the ceiling. I imagine the bleed over would be pretty strong though.

I just got an email from Nanotuners that said the light will not be in until the middle of March. Perhaps you have time to change your order if you want to. I ordered a set of 60 degree optics on case I decide that I want to upgrade my tank or switch to SPS only. The 40s seem a bit too powerful for a pico IMO. However, keep in mind that I'm a noob too and by no means a lighting expert. I've just read a lot on here and in the lighting forum.

I'm not sure how high the lamp will go, but I think maybe 12 inches or more to start out. Then, I'll slowly start to move it down to where I think it looks best. You'll need to be a lot more careful with the 40 degree optics. They put out par ratings about three times that of the 80 degree optics at the same height.

Check out this link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221433

I have, however, seen people put them into track lighting on the ceiling. I imagine the bleed over would be pretty strong though.

I just got an email from Nanotuners that said the light will not be in until the middle of March. Perhaps you have time to change your order if you want to. I ordered a set of 60 degree optics on case I decide that I want to upgrade my tank or switch to SPS only. The 40s seem a bit too powerful for a pico IMO. However, keep in mind that I'm a noob too and by no means a lighting expert. I've just read a lot on here and in the lighting forum.

Hi nice tank i ordered my par 38 about 2 weeks ago.I live in australia ,and it was here in 4 days. Maybe there has been a shortage due to demand. The light it pumps out is unreal. The photo i have taken looks really blue,but In real life they look more white. Anyway i got the 20000k 80 deg.You will be pleased im sure

Mr. Microscope
Hi nice tank i ordered my par 38 about 2 weeks ago.I live in australia ,and it was here in 4 days. Maybe there has been a shortage due to demand. The light it pumps out is unreal. The photo i have taken looks really blue,but In real life they look more white. Anyway i got the 20000k 80 deg.You will be pleased im sure

Did you order from Nano Customs or Nano Tuners? I ordered from Nano Tuners. Are they the same? Thanks for the comment. I'm excited to see it in action!

Archived