Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope
crab looks nice. did it come from lfs?

Thanks! Yup, LFS. Paid about $15 for it. I just hope she doesn't hide all the time.

nice crabs

Thanks! I might get another, but for now, I'm just going to see how 1 does. I wonder if they can be bread in captivity. Hmm, further research is required.

wow sweet tank love the crab

Thanks! I've been working hard to make it work. I actually found better places for the zoas now. Will be seen in the next FTS.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

The research is over...b'ah! Who am I kidding?! The research is never over!!

But,

I just ordered my Evil PAR38 (Thanks Evil66!). I'm getting the 20,000K with 80 degree optics. I ordered extra 60 degree optics if I decide that I want to change or start an SPS only tank. I figure if it's too blue that I can cool it down with the PC I have now. I can't wait. It's Sunday, so I'm hoping I see it in the mail by Friday. That is if it's not on back order. 'Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mr. Microscope

D'oh! Me and my big jinksing mouth..er, typing fingers.

I just got an email from nanotuners. Apparently my light IS on backorder. It's coming via ocean freight from China. Expected ETA 2-3 weeks. I guess it'll be March something before I see the pretty shimmer of the LEDs. Sigh...I'm still excited though.

I realized that my tank is going to look so much more open without the big Current Satellite on top. I think I'm going to add another frag of sps to the tank too. The guy that sold me the zoas and gave me my birdsnest frag had another variety with a white base and neon green polyps. It's a truely stunning speciman. He also has some tubs blue that I'm interested in.

Tank is looking nice Microscope. I finally ordered my PAR38 12k with 60 degree optic on monday. Ill post some pic to see if you like the 12 k option and go ahead and order that one.

Mr. Microscope
Tank is looking nice Microscope. I finally ordered my PAR38 12k with 60 degree optic on monday. Ill post some pic to see if you like the 12 k option and go ahead and order that one.

Thanks phishfood.

Mr. Microscope

So, it's been about a month since the last FTS. Here are the latest updates:

FTS20100211-1.jpg

As you can see there has been some growth and a few changes. I trimmed away the largest brown mushroom to make way for the pink one. It is, however, coming back. The green zoas are spreading well. I'm going to try my hand at fraging some of them. This will be my first frag attempt. I have some fossils and pretty shells that I picked up on a beach in VA that I'm going to try to use for the base. I really don't like how frag plugs and platforms look in a tank; 'very unnatural IMO. Also, the birdsnest frag is doing well. It has started to split into two branches at the top and has one coming out of the middle. This has been a really fun one to watch. The polyps are starting to look purple again.

greenzoasandsps.jpg

My Wham'n Watermellons and the other new frags of zoas are budding new heads. Here's a pic. This frag started with only 3 heads. Now I count about 7. Also, you can see on the left the AOGs have gotten really fat! They have also gone from 3 heads to 3 plus 3 budding.

WWs.jpg

Sorry the pic is a little out of focus.

My toadstool leather is currently going though a slough. It's pretty young, so it's taking about a week. Hopefully it will come back stronger. I just hope the toxins that it releases will go straight to the filter intake behind it and not to any corals. It's interesting that it looks purple instead of brown like it usually does.

toadstool-1.jpg

Finally, I had a little surprise pop up out of the substrate the other day. A tiny little button polyp. It has a brown skirt and is blue in the middle. I have absolutely no idea where it came from. I didn't want it to get burried or to lose it, so I gently scooped it up and put it in a little plastic box. We'll see how it progresses.

paly.jpg

Mr. Microscope

The toadstool is almost done with it's slough. Some of it's polyps are out and I helped to blow away some of it's sheddings with a pipette. Also, I discovered that the birdsnest SPS I have is called a, "Frog in a Blender."

Hahaha, what a name! :lol:

Nice green zoas Scropiee! Maybe someday when i fill up my tank with water, you should send me a few head of that this way so i can watch it grow for you in my tank. :) keep them coming!

Mr. Microscope
Nice green zoas Scropiee! Maybe someday when i fill up my tank with water, you should send me a few head of that this way so i can watch it grow for you in my tank. :) keep them coming!

If you're in the NYC area, I'd be happy to oblige. Here is a pic of my first fragging attempt.

firstfraggingattempt.jpg

I used the green zoas. At least one of the heads is starting to open. So, that is a good sign. I used a small piece of shell that I found on a beach to mount it. I think it looks more natural than a plug. Also, I've heard zoas grow better on a smooth surface as opposed to a bumpy, holy rock.

Update. So, a few hours more and one has come out! A second one is on it's way.

zoafrag.jpg

Mr. Microscope
tank looks good.

Thanks! It's coming along. Soon, I will be able to start trading frags. 'Can't wait!

Badfish816, where is your thread? I'd love to see your tank.

Mr. Microscope

Update on fragging: Success!

There are three green zoa heads out. The Wham'n Watermelons are looking good (1.5 heads), and the AOG is as bright as ever. I used shell fossil for the Watermelons and a piece of coral skeleton for the AOG. I can't wait to start trading (BTW, anyone in the NYC area interested in trading zoas, let me know)!

frags01.jpg

frags3.jpg

The RDEs aren't ready to frag yet, but I'm planning to propagate them too.

Mr. Microscope

Hey,

Here's something neat. I saw a Brittle Star out and about today. I've never seen anything but an arm poking out. I guess it wanted to check out the little poly. Now, my cerith is in there again. The ceriths seem to really like that little box. I see them digging in there almost every day. LOL :D

Brittlestar.jpg

Are you still using the 18w PC with the birdnest when you got growth? I am wondering because i want birdsnest but i was told that my 36 watt PC wouldn't be enough even in a small tank.

Mr. Microscope
Are you still using the 18w PC with the birdnest when you got growth? I am wondering because i want birdsnest but i was told that my 36 watt PC wouldn't be enough even in a small tank.

Yup,

I still have the 18W and have gotten growth off of it. 36W would probably be better. Though, it might not be great in the long term. I can't wait for my LEDs.

Mr. Microscope

In celebration of my pocelain crab's first molting, I decided to come up with a new and improved signature. I decided to go with a 1950's monster movie theme.

lobsterattack.jpg

Archived