Top Shelf Aquatics

help! white lite purplish crab slowly eating my zoes!

nanoreefer4life

nanoreefer4life

He only comes out at night and sometimes during the day. I think I know where he lives and my plan A is to break the rock and get him out but I rather not....any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try and bait him out with some mysis juice. Garlic xtreme will work if hes interested in meaty foods. If that does not work, then get a bottle, cut it in half and flip the top part upside down. That way it is a funnel leading to the bottom, and just squirt food in there, and prop it up next to the rock. Some other stuff might get in too but that's okay.

nanoreefer4life

I got him! And I pulled off all of his claws and legs and threw him back in the tank. That's what he gets for eating all of my nukes! =(

I got him! And I pulled off all of his claws and legs and threw him back in the tank. That's what he gets for eating all of my nukes! =(

Are you serious? THey're going to grow back if he doesn't die.

thats kinda cruel......you could have just culled it by near freezing some tank water and putting him in there...even though he did deserve it...

+1 forgot to about that too.

Deleted User 6

karma is coming for you.

they wont grow back in time......it will slowly starve to death before that happens....something is casually eating him alive now i bet....

they wont grow back in time......it will slowly starve to death before that happens....something is casually eating him alive now i bet....

Oh.

i half agree.....yeah its very foolish to kill hitchers before a positive id....however you live and learn....

i only half agree b/c we all have done some sort of dumb sh!t in our lives....

now that he has been properly nano reef scolded, maybe we can move on.....

my wife hates the fact i always keep and set up 2 salt tanks.....one my main display, the other is my containment unit for any sort of alien or algea craziness

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

+1 and a douche bag too. Step 1 get and I.D....Step 2 catch him....Step three banish to sump or fuge/or at least find someone that has an oscar.

nanoreefer4life

Well he has been slowly eating my coral for weeks....I was fed up! He isn't going anywhere...literaly b/c he can't move without his legs =)

Well he has been slowly eating my coral for weeks....I was fed up! He isn't going anywhere...literaly b/c he can't move without his legs =)

Your awesome. I just caught a pistrol shrimp today. It's nice to see someone in here with a sense of humor and isn't worried about be PC. I personally just flushed my pest but each to his own.

post-40678-1257136630_thumb.jpg

Your awesome. I just caught a pistrol shrimp today. It's nice to see someone in here with a sense of humor and isn't worried about be PC. I personally just flushed my pest but each to his own.

ohh same here. if i dont like it i toss it. sometimes ill donate to the lfs but if i feel its not worth it, to the alley you go!

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

Flushing is bad but nowhere close as ripping off appendages. Torturing an animal that was removed from his original environment and then surviving by following his instincts is not a sense of humor. His witty remark about it not going anywhere isn't all that funny...just more of dwelling in the moment of pleasure op had while torturing the damned thing.

Op I understand wanting to vent but if you wanted to get out your anger why not bash it with a hammer and at least make it quick and painless....It didn't ask to be in your tank to begin with.

Because the hitchhiker was a crab, I can't say that it was surely a harmless species. It would have been better to put it in your fuge or give it away.

There are no true pests; only hitchhikers that are unwanted (from ignorance or knowledge).

Because the hitchhiker was a crab, I can't say that it was surely a harmless species. It would have been better to put it in your fuge or give it away.

There are no true pests; only hitchhikers that are unwanted (from ignorance or knowledge).

A pest is an organism which has characteristics that are regarded by humans as injurious or unwanted. Seems like a pest to me. Calling it a hitchhiker implies I had a choice. Somebody call the WAAmbulace.

I don't understand why it's the crabs fault you were too incompetent to catch it before it ate all your ####. :huh:

I'd call it retarded, but even the down syndrome kids I know wouldn't do something like that.

Whatever gets you your jollies I guess. I'm with DHaut, you'll get yours in the end *shrug*

Oh, and uh, you did have a choice. Hitchhikers are part of the hobby, when you decided to reef, you decided to deal with 'em. I don't think it matters one way or the other how you view 'em but can't folks show a minimum amount of intelligence and compassion for something you displaced in pursuit of a hobby/leisure? I don't think we need the WAAmbulance, I think we need to display a minimum amount of responsibility and intelligence. No you don't need to house it indefinitely but how hard is it to put a little effort into a quick euthanasia ?

Archived