Pod Your Reef

jbm's 5.5g aio

JBM

hmmm nice...should post a few more pics of your completed led light fixture mod to the current 18w t5 fixture, id like to see how it was done if possible?

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm nice...should post a few more pics of your completed led light fixture mod to the current 18w t5 fixture, id like to see how it was done if possible?

tomorrow i am off. If i can remember i will take inside pictures

how often and how big are water changes on this thing?

last time the tank was running. I did 1g weekly

390537_10150447668550739_600630738_10447632_640981743_n.jpg

298660_10150447669235739_600630738_10447633_140936106_n.jpg

375061_10150447669635739_600630738_10447636_907733015_n.jpg

384474_10150447670110739_600630738_10447640_164862346_n.jpg

The drivers are held to the fixture with 3 small screws. I used a 3 3/4" wide heat sink, it gave me 2 1/8 space to work with for wiring & the drivers. All connections were soldered & covered with electrical tape for insulation. I re-used the original power cord, the drivers are running parallel to each other. The heat sink is held to the fixture with a 1/2 stick of aqua mend putty. I've used it before (my 20 long) and those 2 heat sinks are still held in placed over a year later.

Nice job on the light fixture, incorporating the heatsink/drivers/LEDs do you plan to use a piece of acrylic for a splash shield? It could easily be added I'd think, unless you have already?

Nice job on the light fixture, incorporating the heatsink/drivers/LEDs do you plan to use a piece of acrylic for a splash shield? It could easily be added I'd think, unless you have already?

splash sheild came with the fixture & there is a ubber tight lid on the tank. has a 1" hole for the pump & heater cord. Also has 8-10 1/8" holes on the other end for breathing.

Evap on this tank is non existant & temps are staying steady in the 79.9-80.1 range

Btw, I <3 shimmer

Readings

Temp 79.9*

sg 1.025

ammonia 0 ppm

nitrites 5ppm

nitrates 120-160ppm

Couldnt get an exact reading on the nitrates. DIatoms are really starting to pick things up. Mostly on the sand, maybe 1 or 2 spots on the rock.

Maybe another week or 2, it will be done.

What corals are you planning on starting out with? Still not adding fish?

im 75% sure this will be a invert/ coral only tank.

As for what goes in it, all depends on the luck of the draw. Altho i do see a clam in the future of this tank. Something exotic colored. maybe a select sps or 2.

crocea clam? mr. coral had some nice, but tiny ones for free. could probably get one later down the road.

if you go with sps and the clam, it would be good to dose this tank once they are all in :) or do hardcore water changes.

Will you be starting out with soft corals like shrooms and maybe a tyree tree coral?

crocea clam? mr. coral had some nice, but tiny ones for free. could probably get one later down the road.

if you go with sps and the clam, it would be good to dose this tank once they are all in :) or do hardcore water changes.

Will you be starting out with soft corals like shrooms and maybe a tyree tree coral?

Yes a crocea clam. Sps is a possibility, not a definite. Altho things change, i've never had much luck with sps in my larger tanks. It's worth the frag to try.

Im not a fan of dosing. I prefer water changes. I'll start with 1 gallon weekly & see how things go. Using d&d h2o salt.

More than likely i will start with some sort of soft coral, unless there is a acan frag that i like.

Where will you get them from? And are you thinking like, shrimp? A crab?

I have 3 or 4 lfs i like to go to. Most within a 30 minute drive of me.

More than likely, i will go for a coral banded shrimp. Or a couple of sexies.

If your tank isn't spotless within 24 hours... that's ridiculous.

it was spotless when the lights turned on this morning at 10am

you may have overdosed there...:P

it's not my fault John cant count. I'm thinking im gonna have to feed these buggers to keep them alive, which is something i have never had to do. Piece of table shrimp? raw clam? Algae waifer?

They had a good meal cleaning up so in theory, i have a few days to figure out what im going to feed them.

Bleh

________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday i'll be stopping at a few lfs for frags. I can already feel the itch. This is going to be a long 4 midnights (7pm-7am) grrrr

Good. How much are they getting paid per hour? :P

not nearly as much as i am, to sit here at 4am chatting up a forum. B)

sent out a couple of pm's to members selling coralz at the begining of my shift. No response yet.

might be better off just hitting up the frag tanks

Archived