Top Shelf Aquatics

jbm's 5.5g aio

JBM

since this tank has been sitting empty for a while & it's bugging me. it might come back.

I have a desire for a jawfish. Pulled my jawfish condo out of my 20 long & got to thinking about stuffing it into my 5g.

anybody have a reason why this shouldnt be done?

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
because it's a jawfish in a 5 gallon?

not sure if thats a valid reason lol.

well thats what im asking. I know jawfish rarely leave there burrows. I'd make a huge burrow for it as in the entire foot print of the tank with multiple tunnels. Kinda looking like a ladder.

But if this is truely a bad idea (like a tang in a 20g) i'll nix the whole project

idk, can you make a DSB, or is that not important? would be fun to experiment with a DSB, but not if you have no clue how it works. DSB can be trouble for anything in the tank...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
update?

tank was torn down dec 9th 2010 in favor of a 20 long. Which was torn down 7 months after that was put up, due to me getting promoted.

At any rate, im feeling the itch for a coral only tank. Well i have this perfect 5.5g sitting in my closet wasting space.

Be on the look out for the all new & improved 5.5g aio

• 4 weeks later...

5.5g tank has been brought back from the dead.

Been cycling for about 2 weeks now.

ordered a bunch of led goodies for it.

Readings from a few days ago are as follows

ammonia - 0.25-0.50

nitrate - 0.0

nitrite 0.0

sg - 1.025

temp 77*

Is that an Aqua style kit?

if so let me know how you like the colors, Ive been thinking about using one of theirs kits.

Yes, it is the 14 led kit from aqua styles online. I choose 7 white, 5 blue & 2 uv. They also swapped out the heat sinks for me for free. The one that comes with the kit was to big to fit in this fixture, so i opted for a slightly narrower heat sink.

The kit takes all of the guess work out of putting together a led fixture. They give you everything you need to put it together too (minus soldering gun). Some people say that the leds & drivers that come with the kit aren't the best. But for the price. It's a great inclusive kit. My only beef with it, is that even with the potentiometers at zero, the fixture stays lit. Very dim, but still lit.

what fixture did you use? was it a modified t5 light? or empty fixture you purchased?

A perfectly fine working current nova t5 (2x18w)

A perfectly fine working current nova t5 (2x18w)

Ohhhh, so your just using that light for now until the LEDs? Or are you modifying that fixture at all?

Yes, it is the 14 led kit from aqua styles online. I choose 7 white, 5 blue & 2 uv. They also swapped out the heat sinks for me for free. The one that comes with the kit was to big to fit in this fixture, so i opted for a slightly narrower heat sink.

The kit takes all of the guess work out of putting together a led fixture. They give you everything you need to put it together too (minus soldering gun). Some people say that the leds & drivers that come with the kit aren't the best. But for the price. It's a great inclusive kit. My only beef with it, is that even with the potentiometers at zero, the fixture stays lit. Very dim, but still lit.

I just got that same kit not two days ago! Setup was about two hours long, but it was worth it.

Ray gave me an extra LED for each color, so I actually got a 16 LED kit!

omgomgomg

Ohhhh, so your just using that light for now until the LEDs? Or are you modifying that fixture at all?

nope, modified the t5 light already to house the led's

t5's

308603_10150432380305739_600630738_10344616_1979102409_n.jpg

led's

305463_10150439729610739_600630738_10390479_1285108233_n.jpg

I just got that same kit not two days ago! Setup was about two hours long, but it was worth it.

Ray gave me an extra LED for each color, so I actually got a 16 LED kit!

omgomgomg

as did I, but i only used the 14. Total build time for me was about 6 hours. Im a electrician/mechanic, so im anal retentive when it comes to wiring & how things are put together.

And it still works out in the end.

Congrats! I still need to find out where I am going to place the drivers and pots. Maybe a project box? Whatever.

Nice tank so far!!!

And it still works out in the end.

Congrats! I still need to find out where I am going to place the drivers and pots. Maybe a project box? Whatever.

Nice tank so far!!!

project box mounted on a wall would be pretty cool. Then it gives you the option of adding in a SPST switch to kill each string of lights as you so desire (red wire going to led's).

Havent check the parameters of the tank in a while. Been busy.

Archived