ReefCleaners.org

Reef Octopus Needlewheel 110 Protein Skimmer

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

Review

---Ease of Use---

4 out of 5 Stars

The skimmer is very easy to setup. However, the directions do not do much more than demonstrate who to put it together. Thankfully, dialing it in doesn't really need instructions, because it's a simple as turning the pipe labeled "open" on one side and "closed" on the other. Using this, you can adjust the level of the skimmate, allowing you to choose between a wet and a dry skim. This category gets 4 of 5 stars because, in addition to the lack of operating instructions, the flexible airtube tends to kink a bit, and you need to find a way to prevent it from doing so.

---Functionality---

5 out of 5 Stars

Skimmer works great with very little break in. After you dial in the skimmer to the type of skim you want, the skimmer stays rather consistent. It also has a good size skimmate cup, so it can run for quite a while on a dry skim. The only concern is keeping a steady water level in the sump, which can affect the skimming; however, this is a concern with every in-sump skimmer.

---Other Effects---

5 out of 5 Stars

This category is for the skimmer concerns such as noise and micro-bubbles. With this skimmer, I have detected no micro-bubbles exiting the skimmer since it was broken in. The volume of the skimmer is negligible: in my system, it can't be heard above the return pump or drain lines.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

If you are looking for a skimmer, this is one you should consider!

I used this skimmer on my 50 breeder set-up. I used the gate valve mod which really helped dial it in. The pump is not the best, but I too would give it 4 out of 5 because of the great value and how easily it can be modded.

I use one on my system too and will give it a 4 of 5, just because there are better skimmers out there, though it cannot be touched for the money (and I got mine used for $75 complete)

MJ, which version did you get? Is it the newest one with the bubble plate? I got the last gen version and I really like it. Definitely a 4/5 stars.

Militant Jurist

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine has the bubble plate. I don't recall it saying one way or the other when I bought it, but about 1" from the bottom of the skimmer, there is a thin plate where I can see bubbles passing through. So I'm pretty sure it has one. ;)

I finally have it dialed in exactly where I want it, although I don't have much of a bioload yet. It's still working like a dream!

Cool. I got one of the last gen Aqua Euros (same as the last gen Octopus), and that has the bubble plate, and I like that a lot. Missed the new Octopus skimmers by a month :(

Militant Jurist

Hey evil, what size tank do you run yours on? Someone else told me today that they thought that the NW110 was only good for about 20g tanks. :huh:

It's rated for 100g and I'm running it on a (roughly) 35g system.

Can one of you give me the actual foot print size seems every website has the foot print listed different.How deep do you run it in I hear 8 inches is the sweet spot. Thanks

Militant Jurist
Can one of you give me the actual foot print size seems every website has the foot print listed different.How deep do you run it in I hear 8 inches is the sweet spot. Thanks

It's 10" x 7" for mine, although there are some different generations, which might be the cause for the discrepancies in descriptions. I run my at 7", but that doesn't mean that 8" isn't better! I get some pretty thick skim, which is just how I like it!

Militant Jurist
do you have any pics of it in action?

These aren't the best pictures, but they are all I could scare up right now.

100_0950.jpg

100_0951.jpg

I'll note just for the record that the skimmate color may not be the natural color, because I dump my test kit water into the skim cup.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the NWB-200 model with the bubble plate on my 75. It makes my expensive Euro-Reef look like an airstone skimmer. Best bang for your buck for sure.

The LFS I work at has like fifteen different Octo's going, we love them.

The NW-110 comes in several different models. The older ones (which are still great) have screw-off cups, vs. the newer which just pull off.

Definatly among the best skimmers for a <75g system, especially for the price! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey evil, what size tank do you run yours on? Someone else told me today that they thought that the NW110 was only good for about 20g tanks. :huh:

It's rated for 100g and I'm running it on a (roughly) 35g system.

Been a while since I checked this.

I have mine on my 40B setup, so that's 94g total system volume. Works great for me, as I don't feed heavy. Pulls out some nasty funky stuff. Would I buy another one? Certainly.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up the new model of one of these skimmers. Can't really say how well it's working yet as there is nothing in my tank to skim yet. But it makes some nice bubbles :)

Very quiet though. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

How deep is the water level that everyones skimmer is placed in? I have the same skimmer and love it. It does a great job but I'm running it in like 11 inches of water is this too high?

I used to have a nw 150 on my old 40g, it worked best in ~9" of water. I loved that skimmer so much that I bought a new octo extreme 200 for an upcoming build.

• 4 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

I'm strongly considering this skimmer - my sump has roughly 10-11" of water. How does everyone raise it up to meet the best water level?

Deleted User 6

Also, can anyone compare this skimmer to:

Bubble Magus NAC3+

ASM G1

Aquamaxx AM100

SWC Xtreme 160 Cone

(or maybe this isn't the right thread)

All I did was put three layers of eggcrate under it. + you will not regret this purchase. This skimmer is worth every penny and more.

483a738b.jpg

A day and a half of thick skim. It's so lovely.

And my sump as well

e8a2414e.jpg

Glad to here you having great success and that i did not waste my money... mines came in a few days ago... cant use it yet still setting up my new tank... :D

IMAG0080.jpg

Archived