inTank Media Baskets

Evilc66's Barracuda

evilc66

I'm trying out one of the all-in-one picos made by our very own cdelicath as a replacement for the pico I made for myself a few years back. It was a neat concept, but had several flaws that I wasn't too thrilled about any more. Deli asked me one day to try out one of his new tanks and I saw this as a perfect oportunity to get rid of my old tank, and try something new. Anyway, lets get started with some pictures

DSC_00700028.jpg

Full tank dimensions are 12"x8"x8", which works out to about 3.5g. Display is only 6" deep for a 2.3g display. The entire tank is cut from cast acrylic.

DSC_00770023.jpg

The false wall is black acrylic and has a small grate for the entrance into the back chambers on the right, and the return outlet from the pump on the left.

DSC_00760025.jpg

Nice little decal on the corner. Glue seams are pretty good. A few bubbles here and there, but nothing distracting.

DSC_00730027.jpg

Back chambers are pretty simple. First chamber is great for a heater. The overflow in to the second chamber has a small media basket that is great for holding filter floss, sponge, or even a small bag of carbon/gfo/etc... Second chamber is good as a fuge, or additional chemical filtration.

DSC_00720026.jpg

Last chamber houses the pump. It's a Rio200 (200gph) and it's pretty quiet after about a week of break-in. The flow is adjustable, but it's a little hard to get to with the pump in the tank. Flow is actually almost a little too much, so the adjustment is very welcome.

DSC_00690022.jpg

One very welcome feature is the water level viewing window on the left side of the sump on chamber three. Makes it very easy to see your waterlevel for top off. As always, an ATO is always advised for such a small tank.

Anyway, I've had the tank for a few months now and everything is cycled. I have about 2lbs of Haitian LR and an 1-1/2" sandbed in there.

DSC_02970020.jpg

Gratuitous cycling photo. It was pretty nasty in there.

All of that nastyness is cleaned up now and I have a few frags in there.

DSC_03550019.jpg

Bambams

DSC_03580016.jpg

Micro frag of frogspawn.

Not much in there right now, but I will be putting more in soon. I'm trying to go a little heavier on sps on this one and I'm still figuring out how I can dose the tank in a compact way.

DSC_03860029.jpg

FTS.

Lighting is the old LED setup I had over the last tank. I'm working on coming up with something new and far better suited for this tank.

Bottom line, I love this tank so far. It's well built, well thought out, and works beautifully.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about you but I think I like the glass better. I already have a few scratches in mine from cleaning. :rant: Not bad but I know they are there. You got any war wounds in yours yet?

Not yet. I made my own algea scraper back when I started my last acrylic pico and it uses felt for the cleaning surface. Another trick I learned was to put a small square of felt under the mag cleaner. It still gets the gunk off, but is a lot less abusive on the acrylic. It's also a good way to help scrape off coraline algae.

Not bad, but for 190 dollars? Plus shipping and no lighting? They want 260 dollars for the LED lighting as well? That seems unreasonable, correct me if i'm wrong.

On pricing, I paid $85 for a PAR20 Pico Lamp from Evil for my 1.25...so I think these are a pretty good deal considering. I'm running the LEDs on my Baracuda love them - being able to dim the lights is worth alot to me + the PAR to graow pretty much anything I want, and they look freaking COOL. Just my 2 cents worth...

Cool little tank!

I'd recommend the BRS dosing pumps to keep up with the SPS demand. The one I got doses 1.1ml per minute, perfect for these small tanks. My tank is currently only using 4.4ml of alk per day (and even less Ca). At that rate, my 1g jugs of b-ionics should last a couple of years, lol.

Got my dosing pumps today. Scored a sweet deal on a bunch of GD-Thomas SR10_50 24v persistaltic pumps rated at 100ml/min. They are tri-rotor pumps too, so no need for check valves. I'm going to start working on an Arduino controller for the lights and the dosing pumps in a while, after I beat my laptop into submission (stupid spyware BS :angry:)

I know 100ml sounds like a lot, but I will pwm the supply voltage to the motor to slow them down quite a ways. I can even run them on 12v if necessary and drop the speed even further.

sweet.. you know I will be watching.

Are you using the arduino on the LED's now?

Not right now. This is still the old unit that I built two years ago. It's still using the transistor based linear drivers. Not easily adjustable, but I'll be damned if they haven't been reliable. Next light will be stepping into the 21st century :)

nice man....who did the lighting? ;)

I wonder ;)

I wonder ;)
:lol:

I have all my crap sitting in a box still. I haven't had any luck getting the arduino software working on vista. I guess I will have to throw a linux distro on the laptop and dust off the parts. Have we found a better driver for the LED's yet? As far as using PWM at lower levels.I know there's been talk of it but that stuff is over my head :wacko:

No drivers yet that are off the shelf and reasonable cost. The Recom series is equivalent to the Buckpuck, but are a little more expensive.

Archived