ReefCleaners.org

B-Dare's 70 Mixed Reef

bdare

Wow, great job on the LEDs, lol.

Build me one.......

OH HEY TY!

Long time no see! Thanks for stopping by! How you been man!? Sure is great to hear from you :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• Mojorizn

• MGDMIRAGE

Love the led build, really looks nice. I know nothing about led but have been reading every led thread to try to learn about them. May look into a build this summer.

I know you have yours inside a canapy, do you know anyone on here that has made one that would hang above the tank, and still look good?

• 8 months later...
Anymore updates on this tank?

Why yes... there are updates. I'm actually in the process of getting ready to upgrade to a 120. Here is a current picture

IMG_1173.jpg

I'm replacing all the live rock when I do the upgrade to get rid of some invasive button polyps and kenya tree. Here is a picture of the new rock curing. I went with 75lbs of dry pukani rock from BRS

IMG_1171.jpg

I also got a new skimmer to go with the bigger tank.

4d2fa80f.jpg

And a trigger systems 36" sump

IMG_1172.jpg

The 120 is 60x18x24. I'm kind of wishing it was 24 deep, but oh well...

The new tank will be about the same. I'm moving away from SPS and looking to keep more LPS and leathers. I like SPS, but I really enjoy the movement of the soft corals. Looking to add a large nem and some tangs.

Lee Van Reef
The 120 is 60x18x24. I'm kind of wishing it was 24 deep, but oh well...

The new tank will be about the same. I'm moving away from SPS and looking to keep more LPS and leathers. I like SPS, but I really enjoy the movement of the soft corals. Looking to add a large nem and some tangs.

Oh I thought that it was the 48x24x24. Still though, should be awesome.

I've been busy....

1) Attached new frame. The old one was broken.

2) Removed old black silicone from the 2 front corners. The person who had the tank before me apparently used a razor blade to clean the glass and kept removing chunks of silicone. I taped them off and applied a new coat.

3) Filled the tank for an initial leak test. Also added 8 gallons of vinegar to get off all the old coraline algae.

4) Ran as much of the plumbing as possible. I'll be using soft threaded hoses for everything under the tank.

5) Attached the new LED's the the heat sink and soldered all the connections.

IMG_1206.jpg

6) Cut holes in the top of the canopy for fans to blow down on the back of the LED heat sinks to keep them cool.

IMG_1207.jpg

7) Ordered 2x120mm fans with brackets for mounting to the top of the canopy. I really liked these because of the honeycomb grill

TankFans.jpg

8) The dry pukani rock from BRS has reportedly had issues leaching phosphates. I added some lanthanum chloride to my curing bins to absorb as much of the phosphate as possible. The cloudy water is the phosphate binding to the phosphate remover.

IMG_1208.jpg

9) Still testing the water and waiting for the rock to finish curing. Still TONS of nitrites.

• 5 months later...

Cycling some dry pukani rock from BRS has now in a tub as well with a heater and a powerhead, no skimmer, no light. Did the lanthanum chloride work? How much how long?

Cycling some dry pukani rock from BRS has now in a tub as well with a heater and a powerhead, no skimmer, no light. Did the lanthanum chloride work? How much how long?

It did work. I just added a capful. I let it sit for 24 hours then did a %100 water change.

Mine has been sitting for 2 weeks and probably will for another 2-3 weeks in salt water with a PH and heater.

I will perform a 100% water change at cycle end then

Put the rock back into SW @ 1.025 and let it sit for 24hrs then measure phosphates.

If there is any I will add lanthanum chloride to the tub and let it sit for 24hrs, take out and rinse each rock then put it in the new display.

Sound good?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!! Great looking tank. Good mix of corals and colors.

I like the mix of fish also.

Look forward to more pictures and maybe a video?! ;)

Jason

Very nice tank! What are the specs? Lights, equip, etc.

I'll try to get a video later today...

Lights - 86 3w Crees connected to APEX VDM

Skimmer - Octopus SRO 2000 INT

Flow - 2 Tunze 6105 connected to APEX VDM

Dosing - Litermeter III

Sump - 36x14x15 Trigger Systems, Cheato / dragon's breath and live rock

Return - Eheim 1262 (~900 gph) split by OM Squirt 2 way

Controller - APEX

JBJ Top off - I add 1tbs of Kalk to my 5 gallon container

BRS Reactor with ROX carbon and GFO

Ca - 450

Alk - 9.9 Dkh