Pod Your Reef

FS: 1/4" Square Clear Polypropylene Mesh for Screen Tops. Reasonable price.

acroholic

this would be for my AP24 which has a curved front, im trying to figure out how to make a frame for that part. May just have to leave it out and make a square frame

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jerfrog, check out becact's thread -- he's made a curved front for his cadlights 39g signature series tank. i'm interested in that curved front, too!

I know that people have made curved mesh tops for their Solanas and bowfront type tanks. You need to gently heat the plastic corners, and they will bend past the 90 degree they are formed at, and you can gently bend the aluminum screen frame to approximate the curve of the front glass. Good thing is that the screen frame is cheap, so you can practice and mess up and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. The mesh fits any shape frame.

Dave

For all of you holding off because you have a bowfront, no need to do that :)

10292009-2.jpg

10292009-3.jpg

I cut almost all the way through the 90 degree elbows then bent them back, and to curve the front framing piece, just apply bodyweight to it one inch at a time and it will yield. Like acroholic said, the materials are cheap enough to experiment with to find out what works best for you.

I didn't read all the posts but is this stuff fine when it is super close to a halide? I mean it won't melt or anything will it?

I didn't read all the posts but is this stuff fine when it is super close to a halide? I mean it won't melt or anything will it?

Just use common sense. I love this mesh, but it is plastic, and plastic melts. I wouldn't put a halide bulb 2 inches from it, but I don't think there'd be any issue with 6" or more from the mesh to a bulb.

The mesh is VERY tough over the long term regarding exposure to halide light. My tops on my 210 gallon SPS tank have been in use under 400 watt halide lights for months, and there has been zero degradation of the mesh material that I can find.

Dave

For all of you holding off because you have a bowfront, no need to do that :)

10292009-2.jpg

10292009-3.jpg

I cut almost all the way through the 90 degree elbows then bent them back, and to curve the front framing piece, just apply bodyweight to it one inch at a time and it will yield. Like acroholic said, the materials are cheap enough to experiment with to find out what works best for you.

Man, you did a beautiful job on that top. If it is OK with you, I'd like to steal these pictures and add a section with them to my DIY for bowfront tanks. I've seen several tops made for bows, and none is as nice as this. I'll give you credit in the DIY as well.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for this offer.. I have looked elsewhere for 1/6th" but this will do. The tank I have currently for the project is a

jbj picotope but I have to make room for the pf-10 whisper filter and the cords from the heater and extra power head, therm as well.

Here is a picture of my tank right now:

picotope2.jpg

the dimensions are:

Tank Dimensions: 11.8" x 8.9" x 8.1"

I would really like to know exactly the pieces you used to make this happen and suggestions you have for me going around items in the tank. I know there will be some open areas, but if the fish wants to jump out that badly between the little spaces, well so be it.

I appreciate your help and your time.. Please just send me a price and I will promptly pay. I will not be home today after this message and will return on Friday morning.. However, I will be checking in from time to time.. What would you charge to make the top if you offered that option? I am sure people might be interested since having the exact dimension and a photo would simplify it.

Thanks again! PS.. your mailbox is full.

E-Mail sent.

Guys,

Cleared out my mail box. It will take PMs again.

Dave

E-Mail sent.

Did I get back to you? If not, shoot me a PM please.

Dave

hey man - PM me when you get your box cleaned out. what shipping method did you use?

Daniel,

I think we took care of this via email.

Dave

Hello,

Thanks for this offer.. I have looked elsewhere for 1/6th" but this will do. The tank I have currently for the project is a

jbj picotope but I have to make room for the pf-10 whisper filter and the cords from the heater and extra power head, therm as well.

picotope2.jpg

the dimensions are:

I would really like to know exactly the pieces you used to make this happen and suggestions you have for me going around items in the tank. I know there will be some open areas, but if the fish wants to jump out that badly between the little spaces, well so be it.

I appreciate your help and your time.. Please just send me a price and I will promptly pay. I will not be home today after this message and will return on Friday morning.. However, I will be checking in from time to time.. What would you charge to make the top if you offered that option? I am sure people might be interested since having the exact dimension and a photo would simplify it.

Thanks again! PS.. your mailbox is full.

Hi Mynd,

Some of your questions will be answered by refering to my DIY posted in the DIY section here on nano-reef:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212941

The DIY has the pieces you need to make the top listed.

There is a part of my DIY where I talk about notching out the frame for Tunze cords exiting the tank. That is what I'd recommend for power cords. As for the filter cutout, I would buy some extra screen corners and just make the mesh top with a space along back for the filter. Cut the frame piece to go from one back tank corner to the filter, then use a screen corner to go inward to the left side of the filter, then use another corner to go along the front of the filter, and another corner piece to go along the right side of the filter, then finish the back part to the corner of the tank. The mesh top frame you construct will have a rectangular, inward section that the filter will sit in.

I'm sorry but I do not make the mesh tops. It is best made with the tank nearby, since you can fit it as you go.

I will PM you a cost on the dimensions you provided, but realize the shipping will cost more than the mesh since it is such a small quantity.

Dave

Hello,

picotope2.jpg

the dimensions are:

This is how i did back of my tank to work around items in back.This is my old cover but get the point lol

I cut lexan to cover the back areas so fish couldnt get out.Way better then glass.

100_1263.jpg

100_1264.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, just wanted to stop back and let you know that it really worked out well. Thanks! I tried a couple techniques to do what I wanted but ended up with a simple cover rather than something intricate.

tankcover.jpg

Guys,

I'm glad you all are liking the mesh. I still have it available if anyone needs some. Just shoot me a PM here or email me at grim1214@bellsouth.net. I usually turn around orders in one business day or faster. I know I'd want it fast if I ordered some!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived