SaltCritters.com

.6 gallon LED-powered Acro forest

varanus37

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all. Ya know, my new babies do tend to take a little time away from reefing but then as soon as they're old enough they "help" with all sorts of things on my tanks that I do/don't want them to. :happy: . I'm sure this baby will be just as into the critters as my first two are.

Bill

Thank you all. Ya know, my new babies do tend to take a little time away from reefing but then as soon as they're old enough they "help" with all sorts of things on my tanks that I do/don't want them to. :happy: . I'm sure this baby will be just as into the critters as my first two are.

Bill

"help" :haha:

So for those of you out there who have Acro experience what species/types would you recommend for this particular project? I am by no means an acro expert and have had success with the species but limited experience in their diversity. I know now a tabling type just because of my tiny space but is there any species you can think of that would be better suited to this? I'm working in a small space with good light and relatively high flow. I would think shorter tentacles and a tolerance for the presence of other acros is important. A high growth rate is nice in a "normal" tank but again I have limited space so it's not really a necessity. I can trim as necessary if the tips go out of the water or whatever but that's major best-case scenario. I'm still sticking with encrusting montis for the back wall at this time although cyphastrea interest me more and more. I simply lack experience with that particular coral. Color-wise I'm not particularly picky at the moment. I have 2 types of green acro in the 75, a miami orchid with nice purple and an unknown with some hints of blue so I'm up for whatever in this tank. It's not so much about keeping all-ORA or LE craziness as it is positive growth and a natural look in a small space.

Bill

I had been looking at torts and things like that. I've seen lots of reviews from people that the ORA Red Planet encrusts like crazy before growing upward but that's because it's actually a tabling type of coral. Thought that would look really neat if it encrusted over a good portion of the bottom of the tank but don't want to limit its growth since it's a tabler. I like stags as well but I was worried since they tend to grow straight up and don't branch all that often. I've only got a few inches of vertical space to work with. Maybe something like a pink birdsnest? That's more of the growth form I was looking for. Clustered growth with lots of branches. Vertical growth will inevitably happen but I'd like to be able to fill the space as evenly as possible instead of just 4 branches sticking up from the bottom. Would be kinda neat to see how a stag-type responds to this environment though. I'm sure they'd grow the few inches vertically rather quickly and then to watch the branching growth would be interesting.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

5000+ views! Thank you for tagging along on the new project everyone. I will stop being lame and post updates as soon as possible. Baby leave is over so back to working like a real person again.

Bill

• 3 months later...
varanus37

I went ahead and entered my little tank here in the Pico Methodology contest. I think it's a very interesting concept for a contest and can't wait to see how it all plays out. It looks like there are a good number of participants so it should be alot of fun. The basic jist of it is that I'll have until August to get this tank up, running and stocked and then I have to leave it alone to see how well my system does. A good test of the design aspects of different types of picos and nice to see something long-term so a project doesn't get shelved after it loses "newness". I myself have been very slow to get this project going because of all sorts of other issues but I hope to change that and participate fully in the contest. Should be alot of fun.

Bill

varanus37

The shot at the very top of the first post is what the tank looks like currently. I haven't stocked anything yet. I did pick up two acro pieces at our local club's frag swap recently but they're living in my 75 at the moment. One is a deepwater type as I've heard they look sweet under LED's and the other is a tort of some kind that is solid purple at the moment. I'm sure it will end up like most tri-colors with some green in there as it encrusts and whatnot but it's pretty neat looking right now since it's all purple.

Bill

varanus37

6000+ views. Thank you all for checking out the project and good luck to all those in the Pico Methodology contest.

Bill

c_k_kuehne

Glad you got into the Contest Bill -- With 33 contestants it should be interesting.

Charles

Nemo Niblets

I think a stag starting at the bottom and growing all the way to the water line would add alot of character.

Archived