SaltCritters.com

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

Went with the remora skimmer just for future sps. Seems to work well. A little disappointed in the surface skimmer box attachment. Constantly having to dick with it trying to find the magic level where it will actually break the surface tension of the water to pull the crud in, but not reduce the flow of water into the pump chamber to the point where the pump starts sucking air. Hard to explain but if you get one I imagine you'll quickly understand.

The skimmer itself seems to work fine. Pulls a lot of gunk out of the water and (if you can trust api tests) nitrate and phosphate test 0 all the time.

Even with the skimmer running 24x7, there are still little pieces of crap floating around in the water. I have been tempted to hang that ac70 on the tank and just jam it full of floss for a day to get that stuff out of there. There does seem to be less an less of it every week, but it is irritating. Would be nice if it were like my freshwater tanks - absolutely crystal clear water.

Anyway - my 2 cents.

Ya, I am looking for a used remora. I like the design of the water falling back into the tank vs a tube that goes back in, creating bubbles and noise. Do you find that you get a lot of splash back from the water falling back into the tank from the remora Violinist?

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first, a fair amount of a very fine spray would hover around the return chamber. Enough to coat part of the Skimmer in salt. That seems to have dissipated. I have my heater stuffed in the return side of the surface attachment which us handy as well. Just gave to remember if u turn the Skimmer off your heater is just heating that little area of water since there is no more flow past it. I've done that twice, ugh.

U would recommend the product. Does a good job so far.

Sorry for typos, killing time via phone...

Getting the itch to buy something for the tank lol... I am thinking about maybe... a clam???

*bum bum bummmmm*

Still looking for some cloves, yellow polyps, acan lordz and maybe a few more types of zoos. I kno you guys have them!!!

Clam!

Maybe!

I woke up this morning with a cerith snail on my glass. It is back from the dead!! (I thought the hermits ate them both after not seeing either of them for 2 weeks lol)

So did you buy a skimmer and sell it right away? Saw a guy posted feedback for the skimmer he bought from you lol.

I bought it with when I got my tank but then I decided that it wasn't the route that I wanted to go in so I sold it ya. I think I am going skimmerless on this tank and will be getting some sort of HOB fuge instead when funds come around.

Is this another tank or this 20h? Thought u were asking a couple days ago about the remora. Can't keep up.

This is for the 20H. I decided I really will not have the bio load to require a skimmer. I will most likely get one if/when I upgrade. I can barley keep up with all this stuff either lol.

My gf bought me a Firefish today. Nothing else going on atm. I will put an updated FTS later and see about getting of a pic of the Firefish (even though everyone knows what they look like). Almost thought about buying a 4line wrasse or blue tripe wrasse, but decided to wait until they get some 6lines in stock (much cheaper then 4line fo sho).

That is all.

I was just going to come bug you about the clam and here you've got another fish. Still going to get that clam you think?

I really do want it, but I think that I am into nems more atm. I am looking to get a nice RBTA now, but will be keeping an eye out for clams locally. Are you interested in getting a clam?

Here is a pic of my new Firefish.

I also sold my Coral Banded Shrimp today (he is getting too big for my tank). I will probably replace him with a Cleaner Shrimp.

Cheers

post-47700-1263686395_thumb.jpg

post-47700-1263686732_thumb.jpg

Cool looking fish!

My wife told me today 1) I'm an addict 2) I need to stop buying #### and 3) my tank is stuffed as it is.

I just laughed.

What are you leaning towards on your list of things to stuff your tank with?

I think that's the most interesting looking shroom I've seen yet.

Cool looking fish!

My wife told me today 1) I'm an addict 2) I need to stop buying #### and 3) my tank is stuffed as it is.

I just laughed.

What are you leaning towards on your list of things to stuff your tank with?

LOL @ wife telling you off.

I think it just depends on what I find. I will most def be getting the cleaner soon, but I think I want the 6line or the acans most. I will them size up the clam and the possibility of getting rid of my bleached BTA that hides all day and get a healthy RBTA. We shall see.

Also, I wanna see new pics of your tank!

I got a new GTBA anemone today. It is acclimating atm. Pics to come!

I know, I know, but I couldn't help myself this time.

Drop that sucker in and get some pics!

I will have some pics of the GBTA that I got later when I get out of the lab (sorry about teasing lol, I am bad at posting pics). It moved last night from one side of the rock to the other. I am sorta intimidated by the thing because of it's size, but I think that I have sufficient room in the tank for the two BTA for now. When the smaller one gets a bit bigger, I was sell it or trade it for some frags.

I really got that GBTA instead of some kick butt acan lords I saw because my clown, being the idiot that it is, started getting a bit comfortable with my toadstool leather. It was rubbing all over it and shaking on it pretty violently. I am hoping that he notices the GBTA when it expands and stays in there more often.

I am determined to get some acan lords in a week or two along with a cleaner shrimp. I will keep everyone updated (if you have red/white acan lords and wanna ship me some, that would be cool :D Just pst me).

looks awesome...looks extremely happy...makes me want one

They are nice. Here it is when I woke up this morn.

DSCN0851.jpg

and here is a FTS for fun.

DSCN0852.jpg

Archived