Coral Vue Hydros

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

Nice! I woulddo zoa on the left bottom and shrooms on the right bottom... Should give best light and growth. You can do I nice toadstool right in the middle, and then some acro on the top left.

Looking good!

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I stopped by the LFS and found a piece of LR with a tiny bleached BTA on it. I asked the owner how much and he said 13 bucks for the rock, the mushroom on the rock and the BTA. I couldn't resist (I am a sucker for rescues I guess). I hope it does alright. Other then being bleached, it seemed to be extended alright. So here are a few shots of the the tank and the new nem.

post-47700-1261885478_thumb.jpg

post-47700-1261885488_thumb.jpg

Nice! I woulddo zoa on the left bottom and shrooms on the right bottom... Should give best light and growth. You can do I nice toadstool right in the middle, and then some acro on the top left.

Looking good!

I agree :lol:

its a nice looking scape

keep the top open for your sps

get some rics ... you'll love em

you just couldnt wait on the BTA could ya :)

keep a good eye on it

I agree :lol:

its a nice looking scape

keep the top open for your sps

get some rics ... you'll love em

you just couldnt wait on the BTA could ya :)

keep a good eye on it

No, I couldn't wait lol. It was such a good deal. I will be keeping an eye on it.

I plan on keeping the top open for a couple Acros or something as well (great minds think alike).

I finally got the scape in a way that I am content with it.

a moni cap or 2 would be nice

you have a lot of room for new corals ...

let your nem settle down

get a couple more corals and feel it out a bit

know the flow regime in the tank

cuz light and flow dictate where what corals will go where

which store did you go to?

Atlantis Aquariums.

As for the nem and corals, I will be waiting for awhile to add anything until I know where the nem is going to end up. I am not sure about monti caps as I don't want to shade out the other corals below. I am thinking about a couple of branching types though. We shall see. I still have to find myself a toadstool leather as well.

touche on the shading ...

but you may find a few lower light guys to go underneith ... and keep fragging it ... and trade for more corals ... its a perfect plan if you ask me

i love toadstools I had 2 before my heater failure/metal contaimination

Ive been looking for some locally but havent seen any that i like

That's some nice corralline on the rocks! The nem does not look too bad off - has it eaten? Monti is nice if done right... Need to have a good spot where it can layer out.

It is doing alright. I am pretty sure it is a green BTA. It is hiding in the back of the tank atm and doesn't like the light. During lights on, it has been hiding in a grove on the left side of my tank but is nice and bubbly. When lights go out, it extends (which I take as it is hungry). It has eaten mysis and a very small piece of silverside so far. All in all, it is doing alright, now I just need it to adjust to the light and come to the front of the tank so I can admire it :)

Very nice Toadstool! Your FTS looks good, can't wait to see the right side grow in.

Ya, I am thinking about getting blue and green acros for the right side. I also think I need something for the big rock in the middle. I would like some acan lords for that I think, red and white ones.

I got a Suntail Goby and some nice metallic green shrooms today. Pics to come.

Sweet! although I hate the teaser Post.... Pics RIGHT NOW~~~~!! omgomgomg

Sweet! although I hate the teaser Post.... Pics RIGHT NOW~~~~!! omgomgomg

lol. I have some pics of the shrooms just after I turned the lights on. They are still adjusting, but will open up very nicely in a few days I expect.

I can't get a pic of the goby. He is hiding under a rock atm which he has dug out a little.

The nem is moving still. When I woke up a couple days ago, it was partially attached to my hammer coral lol! It has since moved under a rock and I am dreading where it will decide to perch next. I just hope it stop wandering soon and picks a single spot at the top of a rock. I will update as it changes.

I also think my tank is maturing nicely. Other then a small hair algae problem on my sand, things are going well. I even have coralline growth on my glass. I think this is a good sign.

post-47700-1262459635_thumb.jpg

Soon your irritation with the nem will result in a toilet flush.

I did some rescape today with some additional rock I picked up, I have what looks like the exact same sort of shroom as in your bottom-most picture on one of the rocks. Waiting for it to spread out a bit so I can snap a pic.

Soon your irritation with the nem will result in a toilet flush.

I did some rescape today with some additional rock I picked up, I have what looks like the exact same sort of shroom as in your bottom-most picture on one of the rocks. Waiting for it to spread out a bit so I can snap a pic.

I don't think I will ever flush it, but I really do hope the thing calms down.

Shrooms look nice... Patience on the nem - just try to move things out of its way until it somewhat settles.

Looking good!

Shrooms look nice... Patience on the nem - just try to move things out of its way until it somewhat settles.

Looking good!

Ya, I don't know where that thing will end up next lol.

Here is a pic of my new goby. He is still very skiddish, but is coming out from under the rocks now and is eating mysis. The clown seems very interested in the new guy, he likes the swim up and nudge the goby. Nothing aggressive though. The clown was also shaking around the sand near the goby which I take as territory marking? Not sure.

post-47700-1262575227_thumb.jpg

That's a nice looking goby! Are you gonna get a tiger pistol for it?

I was thinking about that, but I worry that my Coral Banded Shrimp would have a problem with the Pistol Shrimp. I don't even know if this is goby would pair with a pistol.

The thing about the pistol shrimp also is that I plan on the addition of a 6line Wrasse and I don't wanna chance a smaller shrimp in the tank.

I stopped by the LFS and picked up another couple of snails and whatnot (was bored and there is some algae I want gone). I got to thinking that I may need a protein skimmer in my tank. It is nothing I need atm, but will need in the not to distant future. I need some advice on what to add to my setup.

I am going back and forth trying to decide if I do in fact need a skimmer. I am also on the ledge about modding an AC 70 or 110 into a fuge with some filter floss to clean up my water a bit.

Anywho, that's what I am thinking. Might be going to pick up a duncan frag this weekend, we shall see.

Went with the remora skimmer just for future sps. Seems to work well. A little disappointed in the surface skimmer box attachment. Constantly having to dick with it trying to find the magic level where it will actually break the surface tension of the water to pull the crud in, but not reduce the flow of water into the pump chamber to the point where the pump starts sucking air. Hard to explain but if you get one I imagine you'll quickly understand.

The skimmer itself seems to work fine. Pulls a lot of gunk out of the water and (if you can trust api tests) nitrate and phosphate test 0 all the time.

Even with the skimmer running 24x7, there are still little pieces of crap floating around in the water. I have been tempted to hang that ac70 on the tank and just jam it full of floss for a day to get that stuff out of there. There does seem to be less an less of it every week, but it is irritating. Would be nice if it were like my freshwater tanks - absolutely crystal clear water.

Anyway - my 2 cents.

Archived