Innovative Marine Aquariums

Losgann's RSM 130 LED

Losgann

Hello fellow reefers, nano and the green stuff alike. :P

After lurking for such a long time, learning and most importantly trying to wipe the drool off my keyboard, I've decided to take the plunge!! I'm quickly figuring out that my bank account does not like to be full with this hobby. It's going for the trim, fit and undernourished look. Also that patience is a friggin virtue, as my tank currently sits empty beside my desk as I accumulate new shiny things.

The reason my tank currently sits empty is that I'm working on a LED build. Much respeck to Nguyen's RSM and Spark's RSM as they have given me some insight on modding the RSM for LED. Also, of course evilc66, for taking all the time to outline DIY LED's, help the new guys with it all and advancing this hobby! and StevieT, buddy, I placed an order for your media basket.. I'm currently waiting by the front door in anticipation! And sh*t, everyone else on here, we all play a part.

I got a used RSM 130 34 gal with tunze 9002 skimmer for less than 50% of what it's worth here in Canada. So i decided to use that saved money on LED's. I've torn apart the hood and am brainstorming ideas for a heatsink, as ordering from heatsinkusa is out of the question due to shipping/customs $$. An equipment list I have waiting for me :

Tunze 9002

mp10

Vertex Refractometer

API test kits

Chemi pure

Purigen

Waiting on StevieT's basket, a heater, salt mix/sugar sized live sand/live rock

I am WELL aware this is all a tease, and I don't have any pitchers, but I will post as soon as I start getting somewhere with the LED build. And I won't post a stocklist cuz that's the best part of it, the surprise! I was just too damn excited about all this progress to not share it with you good folks.

Anyways, Be good. I'll update as soon as I can.

• 2 months later...

Here's some progress pics! Blurry iPhone camera!

Testing LED's.

IMG_0114.jpg

Heatsink does not have fins, couldn't find any local places that would be even close to affordable (I'm in canada). I have 2 120mm fans blowin down on 'em and the standard RSM fans at the side.

IMG_0115.jpg

Cut outs for 120mm fans.

IMG_0120.jpg

BuckPuck pot placements

IMG_0119.jpg

Almost ready for final wiring

IMG_0121.jpg

LED setup standard Blue/white/blue etc. formation. 15 royal blue's, 15 white cree's.

IMG_0122.jpg

Power Supply located in the standard RSM cabinet on the upper shelf.

More pics soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Quick teaser pic for y'all. A buddy with DSLR will be comin by later, and lord knows that's better than the iPhn.

Fish List:

- Bangaii Cardinal

- Firefish Goby

- Bicolor Blenny

Invert List:

- 6 Scarlet Red Hermits

- A mix of Astrea, Cerith, Nassarius and Turbo Snails

- Emerald Crab

- 2 Feather Dusters

Coral List:

- Torch Coral (At least I think, looks like a mini torch but having trouble with ID)

- Acan

- Numerous Zoa's

- Blueberry Gorg

IMG_0129.jpg

Ya dude, I know it's a big weight to carry. But I love it so much that I just wanted to try. I'll take that "shun" as "good luck bro!" :happy:

Archived