SaltCritters.com

How to convert this filter into reef worthy?

OscarZulu

<-- newb

Aqueon%20Power%20Filters%2055.jpg

How would I convert this Aqueon Power 20 Filter into something that would efficiently help a beginner 20gal? I've heard to remove the cartridge completely... but what else should I do in that voided space now to help? I got 15lbs LR and 30lbs sand going. Week old.

I like the Subcurrent filter because of the top skim. Should I go ahead with it instead?

Thanks for any comments.

HeyLookItsCaps

take out the filter pads.....put a screen across the exit area, get a 9w light for the back, plop some chaeto in there. HOB refugium....

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

^This will work.

Or you can run the stock cartridge for a week or so; however, it will eventually become a biological filter (which you don't want). Afterward, you can run it empty (for flow and surface agitation), or add some media (like activated carbon or GFO) in a media bag. You could even use some Poly-Fil, from Walmart's craft department, as a mechanical filter.

Is it practical to replace my charcoal cartridge with a foam pad or marine land filter pad or polyester filter floss, etc... and throw in a few bio balls in the back of the filter? Does this make any sense or am I still in left field?

I'm just looking at http://www.aquariumguys.com/mechanical.html and seeing what is suitable to use.

Anybody's recommendations of other specific products would be really appreciated.

Eventually I will upgrade, but for now I'm going to stick with this filter and do what I can to make it as efficient as possible.

Back to the original post, should I consider replacing with a Subcurrent? I've read alot of good things about it and it seems like it would do more than the HOB.

Thanks alot guys (and ladies)

Is it practical to replace my charcoal cartridge with a foam pad or marine land filter pad or polyester filter floss, etc... and throw in a few bio balls in the back of the filter?
The live rock is the biological filter, you don't want additional bio-media (like bio-balls). Like I stated, you could run activated carbon in a media bad (or Chemi Pure Elite), a Poly Filter, even some filter floss if you change it out frequently.
take out the filter pads.....put a screen across the exit area, get a 9w light for the back, plop some chaeto in there. HOB refugium....

What kind of material do you use for your screen? I see that's a LED light you're using, right?

I'm thinking of keeping this HOB filter and converting it to a refugium as pictured above and buying a Subcurrent for filtration w/ chemi-pure and floss.. ideas?

Can you practical do this with any hob? The one I have contains 2 filters, basically filter floss with carbon and a sponge. I removed the sponge but left the carbon and filters in there. Could I just removed the filters and fill the place with chaeto? And throw a light in there.

Yep, as they stated befor, You dont need filters. The rock and sand do the bio for you. You can run Poly Fill for cleaning when you have a problem. Otherwise, lop in some cheato and throw a light over it. Instant fuge. Now you have nutrient competition.

By having one with a double filter, you have a larger fuge. Works good. I think there is a guy on here, InTank, that sells really cool submersible leds that work good for this type of thing.

Archived