Top Shelf Aquatics

Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations

Christopher Marks

13 hours ago, Subsea said:

Dawn, you are very kind.  When you hit 70 years old, longevity comes naturally.  Chili is still doing fine. I recently got some deep water gorgonions.  The red tree is magnificent.  I had to hide him in a dark overhang/cave and it is too difficult for me to get a decent picture.  I liked him so much, I got four more.  At present, they are with Chilli in cryptic refugium.  

It is flattering to be mentioned.  Thank you for the acknowledgement but I am quite sure my display does not merit that consideration. 

https://www.live-plants.com/redtreegorg.htm

https://www.live-plants.com/yellowfinger.htm

image.jpg

image.jpg

Actually Patrick, your tank is very worthy of being nominated.  Your experience and philosophy in marine and reef aquaria has spanned decades.  That means that you are not swayed by the newest and latest trends/equipment but instead you know what works and what does not.  Your long lived tank is proof of that.

I am partial to your newer tank's appearance because I just love the huge rock that looks like a tree trunk.  To me that is an amazing aquascape!  Even though it is newer you are applying the same philosophies as you do in your 25+ year old tank.

At any rate your natural approach to reefing deserves featured because after all, nature does it best!

• Like 5
9 hours ago, vlangel said:

Actually Patrick, your tank is very worthy of being nominated.  Your experience and philosophy in marine and reef aquaria has spanned decades.  That means that you are not swayed by the newest and latest trends/equipment but instead you know what works and what does not.  Your long lived tank is proof of that.

I am partial to your newer tank's appearance because I just love the huge rock that looks like a tree trunk.  To me that is an amazing aquascape!  Even though it is newer you are applying the same philosophies as you do in your 25+ year old tank.

At any rate your natural approach to reefing deserves featured because after all, nature does it best!

I remember the commercial in which “Morher Nature” was fooled into eating a butter substitute and she reigned lighting down saying, “it’s not nice to fool Mother Nature”.   As a Laissez Faire reef keeper I choose to use a minimalistic approach because I feel that nature had a few billion years to work out the details on how to behave.  As I better understand the science behind the hobby, I use natural systems to feed and grow coral.  Since I started using cryptic sponges, I have discontinued the use of GAC.  In recent conversation with Dana Riddle, I have come to realize that carbon dioxide grows coral and dissolved organic carbons that are dosed grow bacteria.  After a recent conversation with Randy Holmes Farley on amino acids & carbon dosing, I have been advised that enough carbon comes in with fish food as to neglect the need for carbon dosing or amino acids.

Dawn,

I like my newest tank as well.  The reverse flow undergravel filter establishes complex nutrient food webs into a living breathing ecosystem that feeds the tank inhabitants.  In the last month, I have brought school fish into display including two yellow and three tiny hippo tangs.  While I have always enjoyed macro in my mixed garden, macro is messy and tangs will keep it clean.  I was impressed with Pajama Cardinals and now have a school of seven living amongst the branches of the tree coral, which is the highlight of that tank.

image.thumb.jpg.4b97d98183260c0789f4b6d502eeb51e.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

I have been a long, long time lurker on this forum. I always loved looking at the tanks of the month. 

I'd like to nominate Dpolts 42 gallon reef for totm. His tank is beautiful and it inspired me to get my own tank. He actually lives near me and even helped me set it up and gave me a bunch of free stuff to help me get started. 

Don't know how to link but I have a screenshot 

20181010_113910.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to nominate Subsea as well.

Beautiful systems that are run very naturally.  Truly keeping it simple

Subsea has a lot of experience and a lot of knowledge that has been very helpful to many. 

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Kaleymph said:

I have been a long, long time lurker on this forum. I always loved looking at the tanks of the month. 

I'd like to nominate Dpolts 42 gallon reef for totm. His tank is beautiful and it inspired me to get my own tank. He actually lives near me and even helped me set it up and gave me a bunch of free stuff to help me get started. 

20181010_113910.jpg

Wow, he has a beautiful tank and is very generous with his time and corals too.  That is commendable.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, Kaleymph said:

20181010_113910.jpg

Thank you very much for the kind words. Didn't know you had an account on here. Someone did that for me when I got in the hobby so I wanted to pass on the good deed! 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

Probably slacking on filling out the Bio 

Better get on it.......February is a short month and getting shorter by the day. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Christopher Marks

I was wondering who would notice first! This months feature needed a little more time, hopefully this weekend!

The good news is our featured reef articles stick around forever, even if we miss a few days at the beginning 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I looked at this tank thread and I vote for this one.  Not only is the tank gorgeous, the photography is spectacular.  Kudos to the Lady from Sacramento.

@Christopher Marks

consider a second title category:  Mentor of the Month.  Both categories foster a healthy goal.  Excellence should be lifted up, TOTM is a worthy achievement and merits the spotlight as a lofty achievement.  While mentorship is not a competive sport, it is a journey of service that has many rewards.  At my involvement in this passion that I call reefing, I enjoy an exchange of ideas that challenges my way of thinking.  As a teacher and a mentor, I am challenged to further my knowledge to grow.  I see that on this hobby forum.  Experienced reefers  helping newbies.

I recently have been given an opportunity to mentor a high school aquatic science class and will soon set this 20G high tank.  It is the TOTM.  Also to set up will be a macro lagoon tank with hardy livestock from Texas Gulf Coast coastal marshes.

PS:  Moonlight over HOB refugiums.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6