Coral Vue Hydros

clown fish 20 gallon

Monk

Hi from the newbie,

Now have done fresh for awhile, always wanted clownfish from when I was six saw them on a doco once. Dad got a huge marine tank but wouldnt put any clownfish in (mean), then he got a lionfish I believe the one with the poison spines beautiful to watch. Its mouth could open suprisingly wide, yes ate all dads fish $1000 of dollars worth I believe, dad was most annoyed and that was the end of the tank.

Now I am 31 years old and I still want my clown fish, I have a spare 20 gallon and an 8foot by 2foot forget what it holds. Prefer to use the 20 gallon (76litres). I want a pair of true clownfish. Maybe a cleaner shrimp, the live rock maybe an anemone in the future,some coral or zoanthids really. Doing hang on back filter, have a skimmer, RO unit in transit after learning that I needed one, test kit all of them :o , some coral lighting not MH though. Planning on doing dead shrimp cycle know the nitrogen cycle well. Power filter for movement, prob some sand on bottom, yay can have more things that eat the scraps was excited when I learned that, love hermit crabs. I'm just really confused with biological filtration is the HOB sponge ok or does the live rock help there if so when to add mine will already be cured from lfs. Nothing from fresh seems to cross with fitration little help I am slightly no scratch that very confused and more reading has confused me further.

Thankyou for any help :happy:

You can get away with a pair of clownfish in a 20g, If you have the change to go bigger, I would suggest to do so, even if you have to trade that tank for another.

I would say no to an anemone unless you have a minimum 30g breeder or larger. They can get rather large, or unless you do not plan on having any other coral in that tank at all.

HOB filter is fine, but I would suggest to use it as a fuge and put chemipure in it. Your live rock will do most of the filtration in your tank. Just ensure you give the filter a good cleaning before you use it.

The following is what I am using for my 25g that is still cycling.

AC70 filter with chemipure and purigen placed in it.

MJ1200 powerhead with hydor flo attachment

130watt pc lights.

25lbs aragonite sand

15lbs live rock so far.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Hi from the newbie,
:welcome:

Prefer to use the 20 gallon (76litres). I want a pair of true clownfish. Maybe a cleaner shrimp, the live rock maybe an anemone in the future,some coral or zoanthids really.
A 20 gallon tank is good for a pair of Ocellaris clownfish and a shrimp. However, it's a bit small for a Bubble Tip Anemone (the most suitable host anemone). Plus anemones are not for beginners.

Doing hang on back filter, have a skimmer, RO unit in transit after learning that I needed one, test kit all of them :o , some coral lighting not MH though.
If you are not going with MH lights, you'll need a good T5 light fixture if you are serious about an anemone in the future (although many will recommend that the anemone should be added first). T5 lights will be good for most coral if you decide to pass on the anemone (which I would).

Planning on doing dead shrimp cycle know the nitrogen cycle well.
Don't use a dead shrimp or live fish to cycle; live rock will establish the cycle by itself.

Power filter for movement, prob some sand on bottom, yay can have more things that eat the scraps was excited when I learned that, love hermit crabs.
Water flow is very important. You'll need about 500 gph total flow (like from your power filter and an additional powerhead).

I'm just really confused with biological filtration is the HOB sponge ok or does the live rock help there if so when to add mine will already be cured from lfs. Nothing from fresh seems to cross with fitration little help I am slightly no scratch that very confused and more reading has confused me further.
The live rock (LR) is your bio-filter; don't use additional bio-filters (like sponges, bio-balls, etc) as they will produce excess nitrate. Supplementary chemical filtration is optional but fine (like carbon or granular ferric oxide). I'd recommend using a quality activated carbon in your HOB power filter (in a media bag). Mechanical filtration is also optional; filter floss can be used to remove particles in your water on occasion (but will become a bio-filter if left in too long).

Can i then use just 2 powerheads the little guys that attach with magnet onto tank, i forget the name, rather then a powerfilter. I want good flow through the LR so that it works well. I wont go with the anemone but what is a good home for the clownfish (i know they dont need anemone) are there any good artificials or are they tacky?

Will i be killing stacks of little guys on the LR if its already cured it never left water in its life, when cycling tank dont really want to do that. I dont do live fish cycling its babaric IMO so thats why i was doing the dead shrimp thing. Oh and is it true that you want most the tank full of LR.

Yeah got some T5 lights available.

I have come to the conclusion that nothing from fresh crosses over so I am clueless except from what Ive read.

I wont go with the anemone but what is a good home for the clownfish (i know they dont need anemone) are there any good artificials or are they tacky?

Yeah, artificial nems are definitely tacky. Clowns sometimes host Frogspawn, Hammer and Torch corals. But I wouldn't worry too much about a "home" for them. Mine don't have one and they're perfectly fine.

Oh and is it true that you want most the tank full of LR.

1-1.5lbs per gallon of water is the general rule for LR.

Can i then use just 2 powerheads the little guys that attach with magnet onto tank, i forget the name, rather then a powerfilter.
Sure two Koralia powerheads would be fine. However, the power filter gives you a place to run activated carbon, Poly Filter, or some other media, but either way.

I wont go with the anemone but what is a good home for the clownfish (i know they dont need anemone) are there any good artificials or are they tacky?
They won't take to an artificial anemone and they look bad. You could keep a Rock Flower Anemone if you want, but it won't host your clownfish.

Will i be killing stacks of little guys on the LR if its already cured it never left water in its life, when cycling tank dont really want to do that.
If the LR is already fully cured, your tank won't experience much (or any) ammonia spike. Cycling with LR is the right way to do it.

Thankyou all for the help - appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my questions, feel more confident about starting up my tank when everything gets here. Cant do anything till the RO unit arrives Im sure it will be worth the wait.

Great forum Ive found stacks of info :happy:

Archived