Coral Vue Hydros

Caps LED 12" current USA retro.

HeyLookItsCaps

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeyLookItsCaps

well damn, i hooke dup my PSU to my led array today, the whites started working and the blues did not, i think heard a pop and the PSU started buzzing. i did everything the right way. the only question i have. do you have to start each series from negative or positive? or does it matter? cuz 1 started negative and the other started positive.

southerncowboy316

so had you planned on using a fan to keep it cool, or will the heatsink by itself be enough?

how about the splash guard? will the stock current still work or will the leds heat it up tom much, i think its only 1/8 acrylic...

looks great man, cant wait to see the finished product!!!

HeyLookItsCaps

im gonna use the stock plastic piece, if it does get too warm, ill build a glass piece. but according to evils builds it should be fine. im debating if i wanna run 2 fans, or 0 fans. I would need 2 12v fans to regulate the 24v PS and could use the stock switch to turn em on and off. i may test temp with no fans just to see. i will let you know the results.

southerncowboy316

thats sounds great im planning a similar build with a 24inch 130 watt current fixture, it already has a fan in place so it should be good, i was just worried about the heat exchange between the leds, and the splash guard...

HeyLookItsCaps

i ran them for 2 hours the other night, and put my hand on top of it. nothing. i dont know if thatll change inside a fixture....but it was barely warm to the touch.

It's the LED temperature you need to check, not the case temperature. Investing in a cheap IR temp gun isn't a bad idea for these projects.

southerncowboy316, LEDs don't radiate heat in the same way as PCs, T5s, and MH. All the heat is radiated off the back of the LED to the heatsink. The heat levels are also considerably lower, so there is no need to worry about the plastic splash guard. If it can stand up to PCs, it will have no trouble with LEDs.

southerncowboy316

sweet cause i think ill be able to leave everything else stock then...

Evil any suggestions on a led set up for a 10 gallon? leds? buck pucks to run it all, i have a few good ideas but its nice to get a pros point of view haha thanks :)

nice setup man! looks awesome! i am going to be trying to finish mine up in the next week or so. I ordered my fans from newegg.com, they have several choices for 40mm computer fans and they contain the specs on all of them. i got 4 fans just to have some options, i have not tested them for noise levels yet but they are both rated around 20db

i got 2 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-055-_-Product

and 2 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-049-_-Product

If you search ebay for "hard drive cooler" and sort by low price you'll see a ton of dual fan things on a cheap aluminum bracket. All of those are decently quiet 50mm fans and you get two of them shipped for two bucks if you order from Hong Kong or like 4-5 shipped from the US. I'm running one at 9v or so and it is keeping my 12" LED satellite cool and I have two over my pico running at around 6v and I can't even hear them.

I would have ordered from newegg but I can't stand Egg Saver shipping, I usually get Hong Kong packages faster than DHL can zigzag it here on horseback or however they do it.

Archived