Pod Your Reef

Caps LED 12" current USA retro.

HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

okay, so after months of bothering clive and others about building an LED fo rmy poor little under lighted pico, i have jumped into the DIY world of LED. i had an old sony vaio that was broken so i ripped it apart and tried to find items that can work for my LED setup. if anyone wanst to chime in about any of these parts that may or may not work ESPECIALLY the power supply....i think the little heat sink with the fan will be nice and the big one may be usefull if cut in half. let me know guys help me out!

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeyLookItsCaps

here is the unit im gonna try and retofit it into....

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

and this is my solderign station. im pretty sure itll be enough, but a second opinion would be sweet.

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

HeyLookItsCaps

haha sweet man glad to have you on board....i just need to know if that PS will work or do i need to dive back into the electronics junk pile

I think you're more than welcome to leave this post in here. A lot of people post their lighting build threads in here with no issue.

HeyLookItsCaps

excellent! so im getting my LEDs from nanotuners, getting this power supply, where is a good deal on the buckpucks? i didnt say any on tuners or i would support you guys

HeyLookItsCaps

im gonna try and sneak a peek at what evil did regarding heat dissipation. but im gonna mod in some small fans into the current fixture side vents. maybe 1 long strip of aluminum with a heatsink on the back

HeyLookItsCaps

so its gonna be 140 bucks for parts.

5x CREE XRE-RB on Star = 31.50

5x CREE XRE-WG-Q5 on Star = 31.50

1x 24V @ 6.5A POTRANS POWER SUPPLY = 14.95

2x BuckPuck 1000mA DC LED Driver (With Leads) 31.98

1x Small Less than 1 Foot heatsinkusa heatsink = 22.00

= 131.93.

the rest will be my skills to build and 24gauge wire etc etc. more to come soon. thanks Nanotuners! if you get any of the items ive listed above except the emitters in before i make my purchase ill go thru u guys!

• 1 month later...
HeyLookItsCaps

Heatsink came in, i ordered the wrong size so i sent it back ><. im about to buy my protrans supply, and get to work! ill keep it updated when i get it in

hey evil, if your still looking here....should i buy the thermal pads for my setup on nanotuners?

HeyLookItsCaps

buckpucks and potrans power supply ordered. 66 spent so far. goona come out to around 160 dollars. i didnt factor in 2 extra LEDs in case of screw-ups, the thermal tape, and the buckpucks with pots on em are 5 bucks more a piece.

HeyLookItsCaps

i have everything purchased now. hopefully the stuff will roll in here this week or next! its going to be an LED christmas

Archived