Innovative Marine Aquariums

thirdchild's JBJ 24G

thirdchild

The algae is just about gone. So I finally took some pics!

I think I'd like to add a clam and some sps now. But I also need to sell the toadstool or something.

It's taking a bit too much room in the front.

What colors should I try to add to the back?

20110215tank.jpg

20110215left.jpg

20110215right.jpg

20110215acan.jpg

20110215toad.jpg

20110215duncan.jpg

20110215duster.jpg

20110215dendro.jpg

20110215favia.jpg

20110215topdown.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The toadstool was just getting a bit too big. So sold it and added some sps frags. Let's see how these do.

I really want to put a clam in the front where the dendro is lying right now. But I don't know how wide clams get and I'm worried that there might not be enough space. I'm guessing about a in and a half of clearance? I really really want a clam! The question is where can I put it and still get to see it...

Interestingly the pink zoas that survived are getting a bit more colorful. I kinda see a little green mixed with the pink.

The pectinia? frag grew a mouth and seems to be doing much better in it's new location, I think it's encrusting and grown more mouths in the back.

And here's about 9 months of growth for the impulse chalice purchase.

20110308.jpg

20110308zoa.jpg

20110308frag.jpg

20110308growth.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

20110330.jpg

20110330clam.jpg

Just a small update. Traded my favia for some digitata and moved the acans over, and also added a shiny new clam

Clam :wub:

It's smaller than what I planned to buy and it's a crocea. But it was too cool to pass up.

Now attached and on a rock in the middle of the tank.

• 5 weeks later...

20110428clown.jpg

I like this new camera, much sharper and faster than my cranky old p&s. Now I have to learn how to properly use it...

• 2 weeks later...
thirdchild

20110506.jpg

It's now been 1.5 years since water first hit the tank.

I finally gave up and bought a new camera last week, and this thing is a big improvement. First time I've tried using something that let me fool with aperture and shutter speed.

Unfortunately I'll be using it to document some annoying things. A frag I got in a trade isn't doing so well. I also see little sprinkles of flatworms! Siphoning them every couple of days and trying to feed less. The duncans were also unhappy the last couple of days so I'm preparing to do a WC earlier than normal. We'll see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
thirdchild

20110524.jpg

20110524clam.jpg

So the duncans are fine and I've decided to just grow bigger colonies of the stuff I've already got. A rock in the middle took another tumble, so another little rearrangement. I also figured out that using a slight angle makes the tank look nicer.

Clam is also still alive :) I have to remember to dose more regularly though.

• 1 month later...

Ok I lied...just had to squeeze in more coral.

Sold some xenia, the big green chalice, a rock with some mushrooms on it and a couple of extra frags to tidy things up. Since last month, I put in a couple of pieces of dead rock, 2 misc sps, a tyree cyphastrea decadia, a tiny green chalice and a zoa. The blue maxi decided that it wanted to move behind the yellow one.

But things are looking better now that I've fixed the skimmer. Strangely I noticed orange dots on white blotches that have developed on the red bubble algae. It's not really spreading so I'll live with it.

Still need to figure how to control the white balance better, but new pics!

20110628.jpg

20110628left.jpg

20110628acan.jpg

20110628right.jpg

20110628acan2.jpg

20110628sps.jpg

20110628midas.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Love the tank!

That last picture is great =)

Thanks!

I just got a "macro converter" so here are some of my first macro shots! The midas is the easiest to shoot since it stays still when it peeks out of its house.

20110709clam.jpg

20110709xenia.jpg

20110709midas.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just another full tank shot.

Frogspawn is just taking up too much room and threatening stuff. So it's for sale now and looking for a good home. Nice steady grower that I've had for nearly the life of the tank.

A small piece will stick around though. I broke off a frag, but I don't know where to stick it yet.

20110807.jpg

Your tank looks amazing all those water changes and hard work has really paid off!!

Thanks! LOL, I'm still not confident enough to try and dose a lot... so water changes it is.

--

I think I need to consider a tripod though. Practiced focusing with the macro adapter again. These really do pop more under blue leds.

20110811acan.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I lost patience and replaced the Maxspect with a new Nano Super Blue. Seems to be more spotlightish, but the corals are more colorful with it. I *think* there's just enough spread.

20110826.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the clam really didn't like being in the middle when the clown started nibbling at it. So it's back on the sand.

A super long business trip left me with alot of weirdo algae and dirty glass :-(

20111020.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A few pictures. Still battling algae. So I added some replacement snails and a couple of scarlet hermit crabs. Let's see how they do.

Here are some fun pics including a growth series of one of my favorite corals.

20111115.jpg

20111115sps.jpg

20111115duncans.jpg

20111115growth.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

20111211.jpg

Just sold the candycane and rearranged the aquascape to move some favorites to the front. I think I've got some space for more zoas once the algae dies off!

FYI the xenia died off and the sps browned out because of an unexpected 2 day power outage. I'm incredibly glad that the battery backups for Vortechs last a while! I'm sure that's what kept things alive.

• 5 weeks later...

Glued some frags. As you can see the xenia melted. Maybe I'll get some blue xenia. I liked its swaying motion in the current.

In any case, fun to see how it's changed:

20100111.jpg

20101229.jpg

20120110.jpg

Added some new macroalgae... but still battling the bryopsis. Once day I'll have a handle on it.

I also rearranged frags and a rock at the top. Hope people think it's an improvement!

20120116.jpg

20120116right.jpg

20120116left.jpg

Archived