Cultivated Reef

Travler83's BioCube 29g @ 19 months w/ Mandarin Dragonet Pair

Travler83

Checked my calcium and holding a calcium of 345. Last two times I have tested. I dose pretty much the maximum 15ml akl and 25 calcium with C Balance.

I am thinking of supplementing some calcium dosing with kalkwasser.

What does everyone think?

is your rio still loud? i was thinking about changing to the rio from a mj. idk if its worth 5watts... good looking tank!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is your rio still loud? i was thinking about changing to the rio from a mj. idk if its worth 5watts... good looking tank!

Thanks for the coments. Yea, I don't. like the noise of the rio 6. I.use it to circulate and then pump water from my 5gal bucket for WC.

Gonna try a maxi. I have yet to hear from nanocustoms on the pump. Sent two emails.

My 10hf was loud so I took out the rotor and cleaned it up a little with a razor blade and now I can't hear it unless my head is a foot from my sump. When you get it out it is pretty obvious what is supposed to be there and what is excess from the injection molding.

If you are dosing that much with those corals and it isn't raising your calcium then you should check your magnesium. If the mag is low then the water can't hold as much calcium/alkalinity and anything you dose will just precipitate out.

My 10hf was loud so I took out the rotor and cleaned it up a little with a razor blade and now I can't hear it unless my head is a foot from my sump. When you get it out it is pretty obvious what is supposed to be there and what is excess from the injection molding.

If you are dosing that much with those corals and it isn't raising your calcium then you should check your magnesium. If the mag is low then the water can't hold as much calcium/alkalinity and anything you dose will just precipitate out.

I've been doing a great deal of reading on kalkwasser and thought it might be a mag issue. Going tol test for it but when I pulled me stock pump out there was no scale in the housing and there isn't any around the heater.

Ill get the test though...and gonna try cleaning up the blade

• 2 weeks later...

Four Months

DSCN1997.jpg

Front

DSCN1998.jpg

Left

DSCN1999.jpg

Right

Lost my Gramma last night. Been being picked on by the Six Line. He is getting super aggressive.

Just added a really Loud Rio HF6. Anyone having the same problem? It;s not touching anything. Makes noise in a bucket as well

Hello! Like the tank, things are looking pretty good. I did the same thing as you, put a hf6 in the 3rd chamber, it was really noisy so I moved it to my sump, then when I was cleaning it one time I broke the ceramic rod that the prop sits on :( Oh well. I've got a Hydor Fluval 70 in there now.

I also had a similar experience with a 6 line wrasse, after a while he got really agressive and had to go. From reading various posts it sounds like it's a crap shoot if you get a nice one or not.

Well, keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello! Like the tank, things are looking pretty good. I did the same thing as you, put a hf6 in the 3rd chamber, it was really noisy so I moved it to my sump, then when I was cleaning it one time I broke the ceramic rod that the prop sits on :( Oh well. I've got a Hydor Fluval 70 in there now.

I also had a similar experience with a 6 line wrasse, after a while he got really agressive and had to go. From reading various posts it sounds like it's a crap shoot if you get a nice one or not.

Well, keep up the good work!

I like your choice in corals. Great set-up.

Thanks!

With my new Nanocustoms 4.36 for 29g Biocube (144w)! From NanoTuners

2ea 10K

2ea Actinic

2010-02-19153139.jpg

I was away for 10 days to find some red algae and my BTA had moved.

• 2 weeks later...
Is your BTA hiding in the back now? That is where my GBTA is :angry:

He did for a day, but now hangs in the front. He has moved though, climbed up the rock a bit and is loving the new light. Sprawls out, and I'm crossing my fingers he doesn't split.

With the new lights, anyone have any suggestions for more coral?

Just added a few weeks ago

a blasto,

Aussie Ultra Scoly Scolymia

Hammer Coral

• 3 weeks later...
Any feedback?

Looking great! Did you decide to begin topping off with kalkwasser? I've been thinking about doing that in my BC29 but can't decide.

Looking great! Did you decide to begin topping off with kalkwasser? I've been thinking about doing that in my BC29 but can't decide.

Havent yet. Been able to hold my Calk with c-balance.

Got my wrasse out some how. Super bully. Traded for a Royal Gramma which I am really happy with. Any Ideas for one more fish? I'd like an active fish which is non aggressive.

Have:

Royal Gramma

Fire Fish

Cave Transparent Goby

Black Ocellaris Clown

• 3 weeks later...
balletxninja
Could i put a sea horse in?

Seahorse is a no, They prefer less flow and can be stung by other corals when they try to latch their tails onto them. Also, feeding the seahorse will be very difficult due to your other critters who move much faster than a seahorse.

Archived