Cultivated Reef

EBAY HOB REFUGIUM?

racerfreak

Well I just bought one from what seemed to be a better vendor, I figure if it works great, if not oh well. It's about $40 less than an aquac nano skimmer and it means i don't need to dish out $70 for another ac110. I also never see threads on these so it'll be a good test.

link to the one I bought

Well I checked the price and it's the same, idk about shipping. I'd expect the pump to be bad and that's the only reason I can't see the skimmer working.

SpankythePyro

"Included free is a powerful 250 gph submersible powerhead."

Can't go wrong with a 250gph powerhead!

Oh and yea write up a review, its probably the same place in china that makes the cpr ones, just someone has decided to "take some" for their own liberty.

so far so good, I got the HOB refugium on Friday. I tested it for leaks and so far it's all good. My only issue is that the skimmer cup is too small for the hole. Also it looks like a cpr refugium that didn't make the cut, there is glue residue everywhere and some scratches, but for the money it isn't bad.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

I would support the refugium from the bottom when it's hanging on the tank so that less stress is on the supports. I've heard of those parts breaking on some of these knockoffs. HTH.

fitted the refugium for my tank... that way I don't have to adjust it from behind the tank. Yes I was thinking about making some brackets on the wall just as a safeguard.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

my next concern is the odessea pump... it has a cheepo needle-wheel and I'm thinking of switching out the pump. Any ideas on what would be best?

well i guess no one is any help here... IMO I think the rio 600 twin venturi pump will be the best. Seems to be quieter and make more micro-bubbles than the mj600 and a little less flow helps too imo. So I ordered one and a CPR surface skimmer. It was $16 each + shipping so we'll see how it goes.

Archived